Author Topic: Lasik vision correction  (Read 8010 times)

Offline Dan Stokes

Re: Lasik vision correction
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 01:52:35 PM »
My Doc told me basically the same story, so I went with the basic cataract surgery in both eyes, wherein he reset my vision for distance - it's good from about 3 feet and out, and I'm back to 20/25 (had been 20/300-400, depending on the day).  So I'm happier than a clam, and am getting used to swapping glasses between suns and reading and nothing, depending on situation.  I'm VERY glad I had it done!  My situation is very different from Deb's - diabetic changes forced 3,000 laser shots and a vitrectomy in the right eye, and about 1,000 in the left.  So no, I couldn't SEE doing it for just vision correction.  Thanks for setting everyone on the right path - my vision has become very dear to me, and I know what it's like to almost lose it.

Later
Dan

Actually, no.  Implants are for people with cataracts.  Implants, and there are several available ("intra ocular contact lenses" and the Technis Iris claw (maybe better)), for people who have not had cataract surgery(nor need it), though " approved" are time bombs in the eye.  Short term "good" results, long term complications. I consider corneal inlays in a similar category. Refractive cataract surgery is done- ie remove a clear lens just to place an implant with a different power to correct a refractive error- has its issues just like any other cataract surgery, but is well proven and is safe (as much as anything.) With the others you will have more than one operation and the eye going sour caused the second (and more.) As Dr Freud said, easiest, cheapest, safest is glasses. JMHO
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »
Hey, I had the same thing as Dan but I am sure I am happier ! LOL :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »
Barbara, say what you mean. Double posting goes nowhere
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »
I see no reason to use the old blade technology other than to save a few bucks, and many reasons not too.

If you are one of the very few who need a touch up, you will be in much better shape with the blade free than with the blade, especially if your lens is on the thin side.  There are many doctors who only do blade free, and I think this says something about the "standard of care" that should be expected.

You should be able to find out the doctors "failure rate"  relative to other doctors.
My doctor was half of what the industry average was, certainly gave me confidence that he knew what he was doing, and that they were screening out "bad" candidates even if it meant watching money walk out the door.  I think it's important to see several doctors and choose one you truly trust and has a good track record.

I doubt you will regret no glasses and helmets!

Offline jb2

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »
Glen,
She is a spammer.

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »
Deb.  The wife had it done 8 years ago in Virginia Beach.  No issues at all.  In and out in 30 minutes.  One day of sunglasses and eye drops.  She has perfect vision.  As for me, I just prefered not to be able to see when I was roadracing.  It made things so much easier.   :-D
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
Deb, I had to wear glasses from 7 years old until I was 53. Twenty minutes with Dr. Dornic and his laser and I could have driven home! Yes there was a bit of glare from headlights and other light sources at night and I'm still a bit more sensitive to bright sunlight, but I can wear sunglasses off the rack-- the really cheap ones, just like ZZ Top. Being well over 40 the promised presbyopia runs its course, but apparently that could be handled with another procedure. By the way, all of my follow up visits (and meds-drops,etc.) were included in the initial costs. Ten thumbs up.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal