Author Topic: Lasik vision correction  (Read 8012 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Lasik vision correction
« on: July 25, 2007, 01:42:26 PM »
I'm scheduled for a consultation in 3 weeks. They do all the pre-procedure stuff in one visit so I'm stuck wearing my glasses for the next three weeks. :cry: They want the contacts out for 3 weeks so they can measure & all that good stuff.
The place offers 3 types, TRADITIONAL LASIK, CUSTOM LASIK & BLADELESS LASIK. I have no idea what I'll end up with or if I can get it done with enough time to spare before the September meet but at least I'm going to find out if I can have it done.

For anyone that's been through this, did you ask how long it would take to get things corrected if it didn't turn out right the first time?

Anyone know the difference between each style?

For those that have had it, what style did you have done?

Thanks!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Lasik vision correction
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:32:26 PM »
Search the Internet for problems, there are lots. If your eyes tend toward dryness, it will be worse I hear. Age comes into play also. If you are 45 or over you are still going to need glasses, if only to read. Works fabulous for a bunch of people, terrible for some. Do your homework.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 04:02:58 PM »
At 60 + and past the age of concent, I chose implants that brought my vision back to those glory days of yesteryear with 20-25.
It created all kinds of confusion related to hair color, or the lack of it, and ageing seems to be way out of hand on both ends.
People with a good experience don't speak out enough because of vanity I suppose, but I hear the bad stuff over and over.

Study hard for the test, and then you decide. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

racin jason

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
Deb,
I had traditional lasik done 5 years ago and my vision is perfect. It only took 15 minutes in the chair and 6 hours after i had it done i drove to dinner. The only downside that i have noticed is there is some minor  halo effect when driving at night from oncoming headlights as well as when looking out into bright light from a dark area. i would do it again in a heartbeat.

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:46:20 PM »
I had it done 22 years ago when it first came out. I only got one eye done so I can see far away and read charts. It's called monovision. You might consider doing that rather than getting both eyes done. And yes, get it done.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:31:31 PM »
Deb,
I had traditional lasik done 5 years ago and my vision is perfect. It only took 15 minutes in the chair and 6 hours after i had it done i drove to dinner. The only downside that i have noticed is there is some minor  halo effect when driving at night from oncoming headlights as well as when looking out into bright light from a dark area. i would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have this same problem, however I have a different problem than most its called kerataconus and just had my surgery a few months ago and unlike lasik my recovery period until I get close to good vision is up to two years. My procedure was a transplant of cornea tissue inbetween two layers of my tissue. As many others have said do your homework there is tons of info on the web with people who are willing to share there experiences.

Scott

Deb, here is a link where I had my surgery. The doctors at this place teach the eye surgeons of tomorrow at this location. There is lots of good info on there site.
http://www.shileylasik.com/

Here is video of a similar procedure to the one I had which is called a Intraocular Lamellar Keratoplasty and if you have a weak stomach you may not want to watch!
http://bjo.bmj.com/content/vol90/issue2/images/data/DC1/hollickfast.mov

landracing

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
Like I have said before, both Keilani and I had it done about 2 years ago... We both agreed that its the best thing we have ever done, beside the marriage vows.... 

keilani just told me she would do it again in a heartbeat,,, and so would I....

She had extreme dry eyes with contacts, and she had NO problems now... No halo effects around lights at night..

I have very very minor halo around lights at night, but no more then I had before with contacts...

If someone asked me if they should get it, I would say yes...

We both had what they called "Custom Maps" done for us... Im sure it was just a sales tool, but we had it done anyway,,,, CHOOSE THE Right doctor.... If its cheap, like most anything else you get what you pay for... The cheaper it is I found the more outdated their equipment was.... I chose the 20/20 institute in denver... They were the official place for the Rockies, Avalanch and Broncos... We paid approx $3500 each for both eyes...

You dont feel a thing with exception of some light pressure that is it...

5 minutes in chair, a short nap and a long time of happiness....

Jon

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:25:54 PM »
Here's the place I'm going to for the consult:
http://www.millenniumlaser.com/

I'm guessing their "custom lasik" is the custom map you're referring to Jon.

I read up on the IntraLase on their site & that sounds like the bladeless option. Sounds like they use a laser to cut rather then a blade & are getting better results.
Sounds like they've got the good equipment & current stuff. If I do the bladeless it would be about $3800. The other options are less.
I'm set up with 18mo zero financing for the largest possible amount so if that sounds like the best option I'll just suck it up & pay.
That will give me 18mo's to figure out how to pay it off! LOL

One day with the glasses stuffed in helmet commuting & I'm ready to strangle something!  :|

I'll be spending the next 3 weeks researching the place & the doctors. This place is pretty well known in this area. The local personalities have used them with success.
They're a discount option with my work benefits so I'm going to try them out first.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming, I appreciate it!
Deb

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:42:41 AM »
Though I don't do lasik, I am an ophthalmologist (in Baltimore).  Don't go to the internet looking at blogs and complication sites etc, etc looking for anything.  You will get rants and opinions of people who don't know anything. Most people, as those here who have had it, do well.  Complications can happen and though most are minor and take little care to fix, bad results ( as with any surgery or any treatment) can happen. They are rare.  If you want to search, go to major centers sites -Wilmer Institute for instance or the American Academy of Ophthalmology.  I would be happy to talk to you if you like.  PM me and I'll give you my number and we can find a time to chat.  In anycase, good luck.  Most folks really do well and are very happy.
Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »
Though I don't do lasik, I am an ophthalmologist (in Baltimore)... 

Thanks Jack! Too bad you don't do lasik, I could come see you! hehehe

Actually I do plan to read the net a bit but mostly because I like to see about the common complaints to be forewarned & be able to ask the doctor about them. It also gives me the chance to think over how I would handle or react to it if it were to happen to me. If I get a hit on any of the doctors at the practice then it gives me something to ask them to see how they react. If I see too many complaints then they may not be the right one for the job! ;) I've had umm, I think 11 surgeries now so I understand risks and know that nothing is 100%. But there are probabilities that come into play. It matters to me how the doctor handles and responds to a less then desirable outcome should it happen. If I say to him I read whatever about you on the net & he goes ballistic on a rage then I probably don't want him cutting me! I have in the past walked out of one of the "leading doctors in his field"'s office solely based on bedside manor. If you have the best hands in the world but won't listen to the patient then you're not the one for me! I know my body and the docs have to rely on me to better understand my body. I also don't work with doctors that rush me in & rush me out. If you're too much in a rush you're not going to do a good job!

(The orthopedic that did my collarbone was top notch for taking whatever time was needed. If he didn't have the time right then but you could wait he'd come back to you! Top notch guy!)

I've already seen that some of what is ranted about on the net is due to the fact that the patient wasn't a proper candidate and that contributed to their dissatisfaction. To me it's just more knowledge and I take it for what it is. Obviously if everything I read so far was taken too seriously then I wouldn't be signed up for an eval!

I most definitely appreciate your advice on checking the major centers. I'll hit them up first for information I'll take more seriously then the banter on the net.

As y'all can see I'm pretty verbal about this stuff so I'll keep y'all updated so the next person considering this will have something to think about!

Again, keep the thoughts rolling! :)
Thanks!
Deb

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »
Deb- clearly you do have a good understanding and many of the things you verbalize are exactly what I would try to get across. Complications do occur, no matter how good someone is.  Lasik is no exception but the attitude/impression of many patients is that it is perfect, nothing can go wrong and they believe the 20/20 guarantee/throw away your glasses advertising to mean  no possible problem is foolish. As you said, not good candidates in the first place.  Yes, figure what questions to ask, have the discussions.  If you end with good rapport with the doc and understand what you are getting into ( I think you do already) you will be fine and will deal with any issues that come up.  Our job is to talk to you, educate you so you can make decision about what you want.  We can't tell you every possible problem.  I think you really do have it together. If, after some research (good sites, not rants) you want to run some of it by me, let me know.  Happy to help.

Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:05:36 PM »
In researching this procedure many years ago I discovered how this all began in case anyone is interested. I believe it was in the early 1970's when a Russian doctor was driving down the road with his wife in Russia and they got into a car accident. His wife went through the windshield and landed on the ground with her eyes full of glass. Taking her to the hospital they pulled all the glass. When her eyes began to heal some weeks later... well you guessed it. Her vision was better than before the accident. The doctor put two and two together and began experimenting by making slits in people's eyes. Well, and as Paul Harvey says... the rest is history--
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
Although the “first” to do a procedure is always open to question (you see a lot of ads with someone touting that they were the first or major developer of a procedure) it is clear that refractive surgery procedures including variants of radial Keratotomy ( kera is the root word in Greek or something for cornea, keratotomy means a cut or opening of the cornea) were being experimented with well before Fyodorov (the Russian ophthalmologist mentioned above.) Sato in Japan in the 1950’s and before worked on this but he made his incisions on the inside surface of the cornea.  This damaged the non-reproducing cell layer (they don’t regenerate or grow) that keeps the cornea clear and there was late clouding and loss of vision. The procedure was abandoned.  In the 1970’s Fyodorov did begin work on what became Radial Keratotomy.  I think the wife through  the windshield story is apocryphal but lacerated corneas do/can change the shape and therefore the power and he likely did use such observations to prompt his research.  By the late 1970’s RK had spread to the US and was popular for quite a while, though there are lots of issues and late problems so it died.  If Flyboy had a refractive procedure 22 years ago it would have been a RK, not lasik.
   The excimer laser was developed ( at least as far as eyes are concerned) in the late 1980’s and early PRK (a surface, not Lasik) procedures were started early 1990’s especially in Italy, Korea and Canada.
   Jose Barraquer in Columbia in the 1950’s and 1960’s developed a microkeratome (instrument that cuts the cornea) and he would take a flap of tissue off the front and freeze  it on a lathe and cut a new curvature in the button. This (now dead) flap was resutured to the cornea.  In other procedures, a donor tissue was frozen and a small lenticule was carved that was placed in a pocket under a flap.  These techniques and variations lead to Lasik (Laser assisted insitu keratomileusis)  and other corneal reshaping techniques.
   In the 1996 Excimer lasers were approved in the US and PRK became popular.  Because Lasik allows faster recovery and less pain than PRK, off label (ie not FDA approved) lasik procedures combining the microkeratome to cut a flap and then do the laser treatment ( the laser “cold” vaporizes the cornea tissue) under the flap soon moved to the front and later was approved.  There are a lot of variants now available.
   Standard lasik involves a blade microkeratome and standard algorithms based on corneal curvatures to determine the amount of tissue to be removed.  In basically normal eyes this works very well.  “Custom Ablation” involves using wavefront technology to more precisely determine how the light is being focused in an individual and if someone has an irregular cornea, particularly, for instance, after prior surgery (that may not have gone well) the results of these tests are used to  program the laser to produce a smoother, more uniform surface than a standard  technique would have done in the same eye.  For many, it may be an unnecessary expense. Bladeless lasik is becoming more popular.  This uses a femtosecond( I don’t remember think a femtosecond is 10 to the-15 power seconds) laser which is precisely focused to the center of the cornea and it “cuts” a layer (like the blades do) but more precisely (blades can screw up- work well but nothing is perfect) which makes  a flap, which is elevated and then the excimer laser is used in the usual fashion (“all laser lasik”). Allegedly more accurate and may avoid some of the microkeratome issues.
   Aren’t you glad you asked?

Jack
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 01:10:13 PM »
Jack
You forgot implants.
Other Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 01:25:13 PM »
Actually, no.  Implants are for people with cataracts.  Implants, and there are several available ("intra ocular contact lenses" and the Technis Iris claw (maybe better)), for people who have not had cataract surgery(nor need it), though " approved" are time bombs in the eye.  Short term "good" results, long term complications. I consider corneal inlays in a similar category. Refractive cataract surgery is done- ie remove a clear lens just to place an implant with a different power to correct a refractive error- has its issues just like any other cataract surgery, but is well proven and is safe (as much as anything.) With the others you will have more than one operation and the eye going sour caused the second (and more.) As Dr Freud said, easiest, cheapest, safest is glasses. JMHO
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019