Author Topic: Wet versus Dry Nitrous Systems  (Read 35990 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Wet versus Dry Nitrous Systems
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2007, 08:10:25 AM »
Rule 1 for flying, stay in the middle of the air, the edges are dangerous...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2007, 08:21:31 AM »
Rule 1 for flying, stay in the middle of the air, the edges are dangerous...  :roll:
so true- but when the motor quits you can't just turn out and fix it-like Jack says-flying is the easy part:its the landing that's hard- -reminded me of big jet liner that had an eng blow & fell off plane & made a spectacular crash landing  @ Sioux City- eng was found in corn field that fall-if it fell on somebody it would leave a mark!
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2007, 08:43:22 AM »
Geez, doncha know that if anything falls in Iowa, you will find it in a corn field. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2007, 10:41:29 AM »
[quote author=Flyboy link=topic=2685.msg32579#msg32579 date=118523970
 As a pilot I'm always studying airplane crashes to see what the person did wrong so I can hope never to repeat their actions. (99.9% of the time it's the pilots fault)

where did you come up w/ this one??? my best stock car driver made his first pass w/ spray plane-on a standing corn field that was to muddy for ground hyboys-{fully loaded} engine sputtered- he put it down real nice- never even tipped it over- but the sudden stop crushed him with his belts- how was that pilot error????--couple of summers ago a p-51 was circling for landing  @ Red  Wing MN and camshaft broke-he is also dead- don't think that was pilot error either..

Russ- I was trying to make a point. In reality airplane crashes are about 90% pilot errror or higher. Your friend's airplane sputtered? There's a good chance he was out of gas.... or had water in the tanks. Both pilot error.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2007, 01:14:30 AM »

Russ- I was trying to make a point. In reality airplane crashes are about 90% pilot errror or higher. Your friend's airplane sputtered? There's a good chance he was out of gas.... or had water in the tanks. Both pilot error.
[/quote]your dreaming-he was flying the plane steady for several days from sunup to dark- no water in gas here- plane was leaking gas all over the place from ruptured tank- lucky no fire though it didn't make any dif to him= he was an excellent pilot with #1 in class @ Rucker-was rather tough also as survived a 7 times end over end @ end of straight on 1/2 mile in sprint when axle snapped going into turn. that time he was a hurting unit for a while ..was watching a pair of spray planes @ local port last week- one had turbine-he got off 3/4 runway while radial one{looked bigger than 450 pratt} was only about 50 foot off ground crossing the 1 mile road @ end of port- they are loaded so heavy about one hickup from eng and your done..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:54:57 AM by russ jensen »

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2007, 01:30:51 AM »
Geez, doncha know that if anything falls in Iowa, you will find it in a corn field. :roll:
not true Jack :it could have landed in a bean field..

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2007, 11:10:03 AM »
Russ,
I live about 3 miles from the end of the Santa Rosa airport main runway. The CDF (California Dept of Forestry) flies their fire bombers out of Santa Rosa so in the summer I see them alot. Up until a couple of years ago the had big twin engine recips and they would go over my house, pretty low and really laboring now they have what looks to be the same plane but with gas turbines , no problem for them they are at least 250 higher than the old planes but you know what! Nothing sounds as good as a big recip!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2007, 08:54:45 PM »
  Nothing sounds as good as a big recip!!!

Rex

Unless it's a big Radial...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2007, 11:41:42 PM »
  Nothing sounds as good as a big recip!!!

Rex

Unless it's a big Radial...  :wink:
got one of them in my tank-don't like sound when it reminds me of fuel going through it to make the racket..the whole rig is for sale if you be interested..it's gal/mile-not the other way around...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 09:33:31 AM by russ jensen »

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
Stainless,
I include both inlines and radials in my "recip" catagory. There is a P51 that flies out of Santa Rosa and I will ALWAYS put down my tools to go outside the shop to watch it fly over!!

PS the CDF planes were radials.

Rex
Rex

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »
Rex, will you be at speedweek this year. If so hope to see you there.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2007, 06:30:16 AM »
I also live just a few miles from a fire service slurry location -- Jeffco Airport (they just renamed it but I don't remember what the new name is.)
http://airportjournals.com/display.cfm/Centennial/0206050

They stage the fire service slurry bombers out of there in the summer time for the wild fire season. At my old house I lived right next to a handy land mark the pilots would use, they would take off fly south to the mountain behind my house and then vector from there to the fire scene. I work nights so sleep days and many a summer afternoon I woke up to the music of a fully loaded PB4Y scratching for altitude as he came over the house, then 20 - 40 minutes later I would hear him running hard with no load on a fast direct approach, going back to reload. I could guess where the fire was by the cycle time it took him to make his return run.

That PB4Y (B-24) that went down here in Colorado just a few years ago while fighting the Big Elk Meadow fire, was the one that usually rattled my dishes as he roared over with a load of slurry. The P-3 Orion air tankers did not have quite the same sound but I would hear them flying in rotation with the old war bird.

http://www.firehouse.com/lodd/2002/co_jul19.html

I miss that old bird (#123) it was really sad when Rick Schwartz, and Milt Stollak went down, especially since it came just weeks after the C-130A crash in California due to a similar structural failure.

http://www.wildlandfire.com/pics/air5/pb4y1.jpg
http://www.wildlandfire.com/pics/air5/pb4y2.jpg

Larry
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 07:28:35 AM by hotrod »

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2007, 12:59:45 AM »
Glen,
Barring a giant rain out my youngest son and I are planning to be there on Friday and stay until Tues or Wed. I am planning to help Steve Nelson with his new lakester but will be sure to look you up. Regretfully I will not be driving my lakes roadster as I have just ran out of money. Down to the last two big things I need, wheels and tires and the ECU for the injection and the ones that I am planning on using pretty much kill a $6000 bill so I am waiting a while.

Rex
Rex

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »
Nitrous update--

If anyone ever comes on this board and tells you they want to put nitrous on their bike....

hit them on the side of the head with a 2 by 4 and tell 'em it's for their own good!
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline joea

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
flyboy.....come on.....ya gotta share more than that....

Joe