Author Topic: Wet versus Dry Nitrous Systems  (Read 35921 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
Wet versus Dry Nitrous Systems
« on: July 17, 2007, 01:42:58 AM »
Could people please tell me the major advantages of wet versus dry? And what size bottle/bottles should one use if it can't go under the seat?

It appears to me the dry system is cheaper, easier to put on but not very efficient.

The wet is more expensive, harder to put on, but offers more efficiency. What are most people running? Comments?
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline firemanjim

Re: Wet versus Dry Nitrous Systems
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:57:01 AM »
Need to know what its going on--dry is for a fuel injected motor and you need some way to bump fuel pressure to add fuel in conjunction with nitrous. You do not want to go lean, things burn/break.
Wet system adds fuel with nitrous, 2 solenoids, extra fuel pump etc, but better way to add lots of nitrous safely.
Look at www.suzukihayabusa.org or www.dragbike.com in their nitrous sections,lots of info.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:04:45 AM »
i never used dry.... isn't it only good for tiny shots like 30 or 40... any thing less than a hun is a waist of time..!.... i think its kinda risky without the proper amount of fuel. dont waist your time and go for the real thing. right joe?
kent

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 09:29:43 AM »
Flyboy, I am not sure how the ZX14 reacts to the dry shot, but I would suggest nothing less than a "modified" wet shot if not full wet for LSR. 

The modified wet shot incorporates a electronic device that will increase the duty cycle of your injectors to compensate for the nitrous.  Check out http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/fi01.asp

A true dry shot relies upon the inlet air temp sensor (IAT) to pick up the decreased temperature of the inlet air charge (the nitrogen of the nitrous) when nitrous is introduced to the airbox.  The limitation that Kent spoke of is the ability of the IAT to read the change and the range of influance the IAT has on the fueling through the ECU.  That is why dry shots are limited to 20-40 hp and usually used for short durations.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »
I've run both wet & dry nitrous systems on some of our record setting engines at Bonneville. If your using efi it's easy to add 150 hp with a dry system. We've run as much as 400 hp with a wet system but it's not as easy as it sounds. This would be for cars so if your talking about bikes I'm not the guy to ask. 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline joea

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:40:41 PM »
true dry shot is NOT relying on an IAT sensor to try to
get the system to compensate appropriately.............

that's a mickey mouse roulette game............

flyboy.....its a matter of application......

bottle size et al......is all dependent on how much
hp ya wanna make and for how long..........

Joe :)

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:37:31 PM »
thats what i said... 30 or 40 shot ain't worth it....I put a 200 shot on my 600 once...... once...lol
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 11:12:57 PM »
Yep Kent, every now and then you can stuff a little too much of a good thing into a motor.  When I turned up the juice on the 1.1L in the lakester the 3 of the Carrillos lived through it...  :roll:  :roll:
200 in a 600 doesn't leave much room for regular air.  :-o  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 11:26:46 AM »
Another question-

I understand a high compression ratio is not desirable for running nitrous and that most bikes should keep them stock..

But what about porting the heads? Is there any benefit to doing it if you are running nitrous? Thanks in advance--
One Fast ZX-14

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »
oh man... a dedicated nos motor is way different than in asp motor.. no it not about compression ratio.. its modifying the combustion chamber, bigger ex valves, different plugs, different ign timing, and way different cam timing. you will have a hard time finding someone who figured it out to actually tell you everything that made his motor live. Its very expensive cheep hp..lol
kent

LVMAXX

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:02:53 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »
Another question-

I understand a high compression ratio is not desirable for running nitrous and that most bikes should keep them stock..

But what about porting the heads? Is there any benefit to doing it if you are running nitrous? Thanks in advance--

I run a high compression Pro-Mod 1397cc motor with a Ward Vortex Head in my Busa.  I use a full wet system at about 150-200hp.  I spray it for over 14 seconds.  When I do it right, I go fast.  When I don't, I don't.

This coming year I have a Dry shot at about 60hp with an instant rich system for the 1st stage.  Then the wet system for the second stage.  Should go faster yet.

Guy

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

landracing

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 08:08:22 PM »
Guy,

Just wanted to see how long that setup would have lasted at the salt... 14 seconds is a relatively short period of time...

The guys that have been successful with it on the salt run the juice for 3-4 consecutive miles.. You can calculate the seconds in that at over 200 mph...

Jon

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »
Being a nitrous rookie I figure 27 sec./mile at 225 mph. I have been told a 2# will get you 30 to 40 seconds on a four cylinder motor. So if one runs a 2# shots on both sides of one's bike then it is assumed he would have good acceleration mile 4-6. If the wheel starts spinning on mile 4 then one would have a mile to re gain his traction. Do you vets see any problem with this reasoning? Please let me hear you.
One Fast ZX-14

landracing

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 11:15:36 PM »
So are you saying with 2 2# bottles you are going to run from the 4-5 and the 5-6 so two full miles??? At what HP Level??? That is the Key....

Jon