Author Topic: Entry class question  (Read 9867 times)

Offline Pak Ramstock

• New folks
Re: Entry class question
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, Larry.

Not to beat a dead horse, but does the tire issue also apply to entrants trying for the 130 club?  My friend and I who are riding to Bonneville are entering to run in that group only, not for any actual records.  If it still applies to any bike, regardless, I'll look into getting the right tires ASAP, I just want to be 100% sure before making the investment.

I painted the spokes black to prevent rust, but they were completely rust-free when I painted them this past spring.  I've got a kill switch/tether already installed.  I'm currently shopping for a steering damper and will have it and the new chain guard installed by the time of the trip out west.

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 11:04:34 PM »
Tires: I currently have H rated ones on my bike.  If I'm going to run at Bonneville, do I need to put on V-rated or better?  I ask because I'll be highly surprised if the bike gets over 125 on a good day; however, LittleLiner, from what I understand of your post, tire requirements are based on the record in the class, not how fast my bike will run.  Slim and any other bike guys, is my assessment correct? 

Vintage or Classic status: Is there such a class in the USFRA and, if so, will a 1976 model fit into it?

Tires will be a problem at SW. In the rulebook, the tires must match the speed of the current record. So a ZR is required. But the problem is a tubeless tire put on a spoked rim. Unless you can get a sealed rim and run it without a tube, the speed rating is reduced by one. But the rulebook says you may run a tubeless bias tire with a tube, not a radial. I'd email Tom Evans or Russ O'Daly and ask them about it. Tell them the class record & type of rim you have & they'll tell you what is required. You might need new rims.

Vintage ends at 1955, so you will run with all the new stuff.

Good luck,

Matt

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 12:11:22 AM »
Don't forget about a metal battery hold down, metal valve stems and caps. 

Probably know this but I read the rule book a thousand times and still didn't see this until 9pm the night before leaving.. 
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

dwarner

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 12:40:37 AM »
Well, once again the posts are not well read.

Pak mentioned 130 club. This is a World of Speed exclusive deal. SCTA rules don't apply.

DW

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 01:17:03 AM »
I caught that too DW. Maybe we all assumed he was talking about Speed Week. I think he did mention Speed Week tho. I dunno.
Very good tho Pinto. Read the rules and read them again. Just like when you were back in school. Except, if he's running tubes I don't think he can get metal valve stems. He'll have to wire the rubber valve stems to protect them from deflection. As you said tho, read the rules and read them again.
So, Pak, go back to the start of your post and read it all again. Then tomorrow, read it again.
And, have fun, that's what it's all about. And good luck.... :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »
Except, if he's running tubes I don't think he can get metal valve stems. He'll have to wire the rubber valve stems to protect them from deflection.

36 years ago Earl Flanders had me remove the nuts from my metal valve stems at tech.  His reasoning was if the tire/tube shifted suddenly on the rim the stem would be pulled out regardless [and probably even quicker/easier] with the nut on.  With the nut off I would have a chance to detect a slower creep developing when I checked the angle of the stem closely between runs.  Sounded logical to me at the time and I never ran the nuts again even on the street.  Made the valve stem angle part of my preride visual check and never had a problem.  Anyone know of any particular mechanical incident happening  since to change that logic?

Ed Purinton

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 09:30:39 AM »
The indication the tube has rotated with the action of the tire is a pre-check that has been lost over time with the tubeless tires.
Tube tires are down graded 1 level because they retain more heat that is the major cause of the failures.
Only tubes specifically designed for radials should be ever used in them because the nature of the tire reaction is different than a bias design and the tubes must be designed and formulated to prevent rotation.
They are much like a racing only tube that is compounded with more natural rubber that makes them stick better to the casing and not slip around.
Much of the increased performance on a bike has come from the development of the radial tire that holds it shape better at speed.
 :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »
Yes,  see I told you they make tubes for radial tires
Jack, knows his STUFF......................................

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »
When I used to race bikes in the dirt, I would oblong the stem hole in the rim and double nut the stem up next to the valve cap. That way the stem could tilt and be pulled in quite a ways if the tire rotated and if it did then I could easily realign it and not have to dismount the tire to get the stem back in the hole. Visual checking always remains an imperative.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:53:53 PM »
"Just getting to be ancient is an acquired skill that is better learned early as opposed to depending on your THEORETICAL (there is that word again) immortality, it gives you more time to race." (me) :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 05:28:51 PM »
Ref reply #22

Thanks Jack, I just might be able to get qualified for a modern ride yet.

Ref reply #24

Nice tip Richard, I like it, work smarter not harder.

Ref reply #26

Sorta backs up the old saying.  "There's a lot of bold riders/drivers, there's a lot of old riders/drivers, but very few old  bold riders/drivers".

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
Jack-look who's calling whom ancient. Another thing about tube type scoot tires, after spokes seat, and you're done with the final truing, take a die grinder and smooth grind the ends of the spokes flush with the nipples. Trash the phony rubber strap and then tape with 2-3 wraps of electrician's tape.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »
If you look at the 130 club inspection sheet:
http://www.saltflats.com/Forms/PREINSPECTION%20CHECKLIST.pdf
And the 130 club rules:
http://www.saltflats.com/I30%20Club.html
Vehicles must have H, V, or Z rated tires which are rated for speeds in excess of 130 mph.
An "H" rated tire is all you need for the 130 club.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.