Author Topic: Entry class question  (Read 9853 times)

Offline Pak Ramstock

• New folks
Entry class question
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:29:11 PM »
I'm working on my entry forms for the World of Speed and am curious what class my bike should be in.  I ran this past June at Maxton in the M/F 750-4 class but don't know whether the classes transfer directly between the ECTA and the USFRA.  This will be my first trip to Bonneville so I don't have a rule book to go by.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

landracing

Re: Entry class question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:24:41 PM »
How about you upload a picture of your bike and it would help better classify it. Since ECTA has alot of different classes as SCTA/USFRA classes.

Jon

Offline Pak Ramstock

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »
Sure, here are links to two photos I took at Maxton. 

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/andrewfunke/Maxton%206-24-2007/cb750-3.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/andrewfunke/Maxton%206-24-2007/cb750-4.jpg

If you need specifics on the mods I've made to the bike, just let me know and I'll post them.

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »
NICE BIKE!!!  I LIKE IT!!!

Exhaust is different so that puts you in modified.  Doesn't look like any streamlining but what exactly did you do with the tail and side panels?  Not sure if that puts you in a partial streamliner class or not.  Do you have the Quasimodo hump on your leathers?

Nice bike nice bike.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

landracing

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:23:50 AM »
By the looks of the picture, it would be in the M-F or M-G glass. Not production because of the pipes, Modified class because doesn't look like any streamlining forward of the rider, streamlining behind you doesn't matter for modified. So I would say M-F or M-G 1350cc. And the SCTA/USFRA record book doesn't distinguish from 2 or 4 stroke, I think that is just a ECTA thing...

Hope to see it soon. And as a side note you can take off the blinkers and be legal in M class. Don't want those sticking out in the air.

Jon

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »
Jon, I'd lean towards saying he'll be in M/G or F 750, not 1350.  I didn't measure the radius of the headlight lens, but I'll hazard a guess that it'll be close enough to let the bike run in naked class, not PS.

My first bike -- way back when -- was a 750 Honda, so I enjoyed seeing the bike at Maxton and running.  I look forward to seeing it on the Salt, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Yup, put the stock exhaust and seat back on if you have it and run production. Otherwise it looks M to me. I'd say you'll need to make yourself a new chain guard as well.They must be 3/32 thick if steel or 1/8 thick if aluminum and I doubt your stock one in that thick.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
you would also have to add the tailight and stock airbox to run production. looks like m/g or m/f

Offline Pak Ramstock

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice so far.  I'll likely be running pump gas, so from what I understand that'll put me in the "F" class.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means my class with the USFRA will stay the same as with the ECTA: M/F 750-4

The stock chain guard passed tech inspection at Maxton, but I can look into having a sturdier one built for Bonneville, if necessary.  I'll measure it soon to see if it's the correct thickness.  Also, the headlight is the standard-size 7" lamp.

I appreciate all the compliments on my bike; I'm glad you all dig it as much as I do!  Slim, it was good to meet you at Maxton.  The 750 will definitely be at Bonneville, and I've been working hard on it since I've been home.  If all goes as planned, I should be able to best the 106mph I put down last month.  Hope to see some or all of you in September.

landracing

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:23 AM »
I cant say this strong enough, if you are going to Bonneville they are NOT the same rules. ECTA is more flexible on its rules... Like I said there is NO 750-4 class at Bonneville. Bonneville does not distinguish between 2 and 4 stroke. And the statement but it passed ECTA tech will not fly with any colors at SCTA/USFRA events. So it would be either M-F 750cc or M-G 750cc. And im sure you will need a thicker chain guard, see posts above about thickness.

Jon

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 08:56:13 AM »
I teched the bike at Maxton, and pointed out a few things that would need to be changed to pass tech at the Salt, such as the chainguard, for instance.  The bike was/is close to acceptable -- and with a bit of study in the SCTA rulebook Pak should be able to get it completely okay.  Pak, if you've got specific questions -- ask me, ask someone, so you get as much done as possible before you leave the safe confines of your home shop.  Did any of the Maxton inspectors make notations in your logbook about things that must be done?  If so, do them now!

Also --  This fella showed his understanding of the fact that rules are there to keep him and everyone else safe, and also to make sure he's playing on a level field with the rest of us.  As for the difference, or lack thereof, between ECTA's  allowance for both two-stroke and four-stroke motors, and the SCTA's non-difference -- all that means to this rqacer is that he's gonna run against some pretty stout records set by two-strokes.  I think he'll be happy to run at Bonneville rather than disappointed that he didn't set a record.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »
The SCTA Bonneville record for M-750-F is 167.076.  For M-750-G it is 161.10.  I am not a bike guy but from what I see in the rule book you will need to have tires that are acceptable for speeds between 151 and 200 (based on the class record and not on the speed of your bike).  You'll need production ZRs or racing tires.  Another acceptable option is shaved production V tires.  I suggest you verify this with one of the real, live, card carrying, LSR, biker dudes like Jon Amo or Jon (slim) or Kent (1212FBGS) or JackD, or others that offer up help here.  By the way, the production record (P-P 750) is 172.029.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:19:54 AM »
The P-P 750 record was not with one of those super 2 strokes was it ?
Given the age of the design, one would have a case to see it as a "Vintage", if not a "Classic" like the cars have invented.
Personnel best is the best, the competition for a record can ruin someone that otherwise would be nice folk.
I have to remember "Tugboat" from Port Sam Huston.
He was the 3rd fastest Shovel Head in 1989 and never fails to show somebody his certificate.
I am sure if they didn't buy him a cool one upfront, he did win a lot of bets.
 And while is appearance might be striking, he is the best friend one could hope for.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Pak Ramstock

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »
Slim like you said, I'm not looking to set any records with my old SOHC 4 at Bonneville.  This will be my first time there and only the second time I've been land speed racing, so I'll be happy just to run, hopefully set a new personal best, and make some new friends.  I didn't get any tech improvement suggestions at Maxton (at least not officially in my log book) so I'll be making safety adjustments based on what you guys tell me and what I learn from the USFRA and/or SCTA rule books.  A few points of discussion:

Tires: I currently have H rated ones on my bike.  If I'm going to run at Bonneville, do I need to put on V-rated or better?  I ask because I'll be highly surprised if the bike gets over 125 on a good day; however, LittleLiner, from what I understand of your post, tire requirements are based on the record in the class, not how fast my bike will run.  Slim and any other bike guys, is my assessment correct? 

Chain Guard: Having a new, stronger one built shouldn't be a problem.  I know of a shop nearby that can fabricate one for me to the required specs.

Class: M-F (or G) 750 it is.  In my mind, the "-4" at the end was actually for the number of cylinders, but whether it's for stroke or cylinders it's just an extra number I don't have to bother with at Bonneville, so I'm fine with leaving it off.  No worries there.

Vintage or Classic status: Is there such a class in the USFRA and, if so, will a 1976 model fit into it?

Again, thanks for all the advice to date.  Keep it coming!

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »
Pak. Yes tires are determined by the record. So you will have to go with ZR rated or shaved V tires. I was also noticing in your pics, your spokes are very dark. My first thought was rust? I hope not but either way check them very carefully.

For the chain guard you might as well go down to the shop you talked about and have them make you one that goes all the way to the side cover. It also must be 1 1/2 times the width of the chain.

As far as vintage that class is for bikes made prior to 1956

I don't remember if it was mentioned but you'll need a steering dampner as well. Also a dead man tether.

Good luck and see ya there.

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651