Author Topic: BUB Record Holders - How did they inspect displacement?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
BUB Record Holders - How did they inspect displacement?
« on: July 02, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »
I am thinking about going to BUB just to avoid all the Speedweek lines. On reading the AMA rules, it says that the racer has to remove the cylinder head so the displacement can be measured. But did you really have to? Or did they measure with a probe through spark plug holes like SCTA does?

That is bad enough in my case as it takes about 45 minutes just to get the plugs out. To remove the head on my turbo busa would take all day and require the engine to be removed. Not something I would be happy to do.

So you riders who had to have an inspection - how did they do it in your case?

Thanks
Don
567B
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

bak189

Re: BUB Record Holders - How did they inspect displacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:57:51 PM »
If you have a engine with center-plugs, in the past events the displacement has been checked with a probe.....for the 2007 meeting I expect it will again be used as it has been for previous meetings. 

landracing

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »
They will use the bore/stroke tool if you have a motor it will work on. They will measure all four cylinders. For those not so lucky to have the center spark plug hole, will have to remove the head to measure ALL four cylinders or how ever many you have.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:41:49 AM »
Prior to my introduction of the "probe" for appropriate use at SCTA events, the MC inspectors (Green Brothers) also used a graduated beaker that required the valve action be disabled but the head was not required to be removed.
SCTA later also purchased a USAC tool that went through the plug and an Air Pumper that was also used as appropriate.
Well that is some of the ways that SCTA does it anyway, and they do the most.
I have had records verified in every category except Production Bike with all the above methods and never pulled a head under SCTA .
I pulled a head once in 77 for an AMA record but that was a 2 smoke.
Your experience may vary. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline greg

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:48:31 PM »
So if you are in the 3000cc class you check also?  Do we need to keep out all those cheater 6000cc cheater strokers?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »
So if you are in the 3000cc class you check also?  Do we need to keep out all those cheater 6000cc cheater strokers?
Frame rail restrictions on many bikes prevent the use of the probe through the plug hole where the beaker / cc method will otherwise work.
Not to mention the too small motors that are often such an embarrassment. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Xea

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 09:37:24 AM »
We had to remove both heads (HD V-Twin). Drew, the guy measuring things was as busy as a "one armed paper hanger".
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
We had to remove both heads (HD V-Twin). Drew, the guy measuring things was as busy as a "one armed paper hanger".

I am sorrowed by your loss.
Drew is a nice guy that has been used out of place.
The event has a "If I close My eyes, they can't see me attirude**." :wink:

** Spelled the way I want it.