Author Topic: New team at Bonneville.  (Read 17253 times)

Offline Old Gringo

• I only drive with the motor not running.
New team at Bonneville.
« on: July 01, 2007, 05:08:09 PM »
Let me introduce Fat Boyz Motorsports. AGL#575. New car and team to LSR. Under construction since 2005. Ground up, new chassis and body. All hand built, cut,bend,form,weld,assemble. Was completed and ready for last October,loading trailer,when call came that event was rained out.
Car wasn't as good as we wanted so we took it all apart and made changes. Almost all together again and we are excited to be at the August meet. We look forward to shaking down the new assembly and getting four drivers licensed. We hope to make the brotherhood proud of our attempt and become regular LSR competitors. I'm attaching a few pictures of last years configuration. Drop by and say hello. Car is now painted and pretty,ready for her first dance.
Lakester has not been out of the shop yet so all Pict's are inside. It will be so nice to get on the salt and get some great photos. I feel all Pict's are self explanatory if not. I'm not doing my job as a photog. If you have questions please feel free to ask.
 Ed.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:08:32 AM by Old Gringo »
Ex Hound Dog Crew Chief. Retired Xeroid.

landracing

Re: New team at Bonnieville.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »
Very nice project. what is the powerplant in that monster? Any pictures of the painted version so I can put it on the pre entry list with the picture.. IF so please email me a picture directly to webmaster@landracing.com

Thanks
And more build pictures if you have them.. Looks like a great project.

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »
Jon
Looks like a Chevy with Brodex heads. Maybe they will be at the lakes in a couple of weeks. I will be there. Damn speed week is getting close.
Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Old Gringo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »
Motor is a BBC. All aluminum, I don't know the HP,owner of the engine says he thinks it should get us over 200 mph.Body panels are painted but not yet installed. Attaching some more build pic's. As soon as we have the body panels on I'll get pic's to you. Frame is in four major sections bolted together. Hope you won't hold it against us but am trying to get attention and still have some "WOW" factor for Speed Week. Will send more build details as time allows.
 Ed.

Offline POPS

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »
Thanks Old Gringo.

The engine is indeed a Brodix headed big block.  After everyone has their long course tickets this engine will be replaced with a nitro burning Cadillac flathead.  This engine is an interesting project all by its self.  Hopefully Old Gringo will share some of his pictures of the Cadillac components that we have built.  The longer term engine plans include an alcohol burning 1500 horsepower Dodge 4 banger and then a blowen nitro burning KB.

POPS

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 07:17:54 PM »
Motor is a BBC. All aluminum, I don't know the HP,owner of the engine says he thinks it should get us over 200 mph.Body panels are painted but not yet installed. Attaching some more build pic's. As soon as we have the body panels on I'll get pic's to you. Frame is in four major sections bolted together. Hope you won't hold it against us but am trying to get attention and still have some "WOW" factor for Speed Week. Will send more build details as time allows.
 Ed.
The record in A/GL is 274.813 so one would hope to run over 200 mph. :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 07:19:58 PM »
Really a nice car. Hope you go fast and safe. It is always nice to see a new lakester.
John :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Old Gringo

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 07:52:50 PM »
 Ed.
The record in A/GL is 274.813 so one would hope to run over 200 mph. :evil:
This engine is only intended to Shake down the car and get our drivers there license's. The car was built with the intention of using more than one engine combination in the future maybe Diesel or as mentioned by Pops a high output Dodge 4 banger.
 One of the engines in the mix is a Flathead Cadillac. Some of us think there is more to be done with the vintage engines. Attached are a few pic's of a new head. The combustion chambers are a proprietary design and cannot be shown now. Don't have pics of the pistons or con rod's that are in design. Also block girdle and reworked block.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:13:06 AM by Old Gringo »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: New team at Bonneville.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
Building the vehicle into segments allows a greater degree of flexibility that is not common in LSR. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline t russell

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »
very nice. car good luck
terry

Offline Old Gringo

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 11:54:34 PM »
Thank you Jack. A positive comment from the pulpit is a blessing of the highest order. We are new to LSR and will consider all comments positive as well as negative.  I hope to meet you and all of the LSR brotherhood at the bend in the road. I'm the photographer and go-for, handyman,cleaner,sweeper for this project. I have tried to document his project and have over 240 pict's at this point. I think you will enjoy meeting the brains of this collective. There are several thinkers and doers involved. All should spend time talking with. Don, Bob, Billy S,Billy G,Rob,Roger,Dave, Sid,in no specific order and several other names I do not recall. Not all will be able to make it to the August meet. This project started many years ago with several racers that wanted to build and race their own cars on the salt. They came together and this car is is the result. Group think and minds of a similar kind can some times work like chemistry.
 More pic's of component parts.
 Ed.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 02:01:51 AM »
The fun part of the extra work to build it in segments is the flexibility it affords with respect to engine choice and it is the basis for a pretty good liner also. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 03:28:12 AM »
Building the vehicle into segments allows a greater degree of flexibility that is not common in LSR.

I like it also. If engineered properly it could have both maintenance  advantages and safety advantages.

Looks like a slick setup and well thought out and executed.

Larry

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 09:49:48 AM »
Not all of these Fat Boyz are new to the salt. I was with Don during the 60s for Speedweek and drag racing on other weekends.

DW

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 10:30:04 AM »
Really like your drivers module, that is one stout piece of fabrication. Great thinking. Also like your engine bay, makes it easy to change motors, which it sounds like you plan to do a lot of. Might want to make that scoop a little bigger and higher for that big block, air next to the body is "boundary layer" and hasn't much speed.

Great looking piece, really looking forward to see it and all of you at the Salt!!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.