Author Topic: Need suggestions for MC leathers  (Read 16697 times)

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
Re: Need suggestions for MC leathers - BUMP
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
Asking again - what is the official ruling w/r/t interpretation of the metal zipper requirement? Is it ONLY the waist-to-jacket zipper for 2 piece leathers, or does it mean that the "main zipper" must be metal too?

Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Need suggestions for MC leathers
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 10:34:54 PM »
only the adjoining zipper for two piece suits are required to be metal. And this only true if the bike being piloted is capable of(or the current record it is running on is), 175mph or more!

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 01:30:27 AM »
Just a thought. If your leathers have plastic zippers they might not be the quality you want. If you're sliding down the salt what do you want under you?  :wink:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline RayKimbro

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:22 AM »
Todd - I saw your reply - and never got confirmation that your offering was an official ECTA ruling.

Oly - I've got a metal zipper in my 1-piece leathers, had it sewn in for $35. There is a difference in interpretation between a few ECTA tech inspectors, and I want to be certain I'm enforcing the accepted interpretation of the rule, and not just my own.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »
Ray, I am stating "only the circumference zipper of a two piece race suit needs to be metal" to be an official ECTA answer.

As always, it's Keith's or the board's prerogative to change that(should anyone like to contact them directly). It's also an inspector's prerogative to not sign off on anything(from bike to gear) that he is not comfortable in doing so(such as a zipper that he doesn't feel is up to standard integrity wise - IE: broken or missing teeth, cheaply made, bad thread sewn in, dry-rot material, etc. etc.), be it metal or Y2K either one. I've certainly seen metal ones signed off on that are in much worse shape then many vinyl ones I've come across. It also any entrants choice to go beyond the tech inspector he is dealing with if they feel there is an interpretation issue.

Ol38y, I've done some BS zipper pull tests here a while back and can tell you that the separation factor is not related to the material(metal or vinyl), but more so in the design, placement, number of the teeth used. There were more metal then "plastic" zippers that I could pull apart(at least of the ones at my disposal). The melting factor (as this is about concrete, not salt) is one to be considered also(and was discussed at length in January of 2004 and again in August of 2004 - including the possible effects of Plastic, Polyester, Nylon, Steel, Brass, Nickel & Aluminum). In a nutshell... the pants to suit connection is considered a long term contact point as when you are length wise on the concrete it could weaken the connection by heat and is the reason for metal at this point(let alone the cracks grabbing the separate pieces and pulling them apart no matter the material). On the other hand, when the body turns 90* to the track it tends to not slide much when any friction is exerted and will instead "pencil roll" the person and alleviate the heat(and tension) build up. 

I know this is an interpretation question rather then a rule change question(which is able to be done by any "member" at any time by the way), but other then the legwork that went into it and the last in-depth discussion of this(in a committee meeting with PB, DL, WP, SG, and myself),  Debbie and I also have finished resurrecting and assessing the suit(and gear) she was wearing in here slide and roll down the concrete. Which(in just one pertinent area to this conversation), happens to have a the wear "across" the chest(enough to wear a hole through it) and zipper(thankfully she always wears her chest protector), and still shows no an attempt in separating the zipper(which is "plastic" by the way) from itself or the suit .

Is more protection better? Normally yes to some extent.... but is it always feasible for the amount of gear being produced and continually showing the ability to protect those that have tested it in the worst of ways? My bet is 50% or more of the entries at the next meet will not be eligible to run if we would enact a all metal zipper rule today.

I think the key here(like anywhere concerning the components we use for safety or function either one)... it's more about design, integrity and condition then material.
Todd

Offline RayKimbro

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 01:41:04 PM »
Thanks VERY much for providing an answer to my question - this means that I need to correct a few entries in racers' logbooks.

The question was posed to the rules committee a couple months ago - I never got a reply. With the September event coming up soon, I wanted to be certain that I was properly enforcing ECTA's take on the rule.

To recap - I'm OK w/most of the thoughts expressed in the thread. I was called for a plastic zipper on my own leathers a few years ago. So - I swapped zippers to comply w/what I thought was the official interpretation, and applied that interpretation to my inspection activities. 

I do appreciate the clarification, and will apply this interpretation going forward.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »
Once again, adult level communication is the best vehicle to level the field.
GOOD WORK
I recall 1 person that swore that if the documentation from the SCTA board meetings that were open to the public were ever published to the public that was not in attendance, they would quit.
That just created an underground network that did it anyway.
We are still waiting as we read the information that is available to anybody now for the asking. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 05:45:28 PM »
The question was posed to the rules committee a couple months ago - I never got a reply. With the September event coming up soon, I wanted to be certain that I was properly enforcing ECTA's take on the rule.

For what ever reason, that question never made it to the committee. I'm the "secretary" so to speak and I never saw it come through the email channels. In the future I would suggest that if you or anyone else sends an email to the committee and doesn't at least get a response stating that it's been received and is being discussed then a follow up email should be sent. In the day and age of abundant spam it's not uncommon for something to be lost. Also take note that the committee mail as well as all ECTA mailboxes have an automatic spam filter that requires you to respond to the automatically generated response email before your original email is delivered. :roll: If any of that doesn't happen correctly then your mail doesn't get through.

You weren't ignored, your message just never got there. ;)
Deb

Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline RayKimbro

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2007, 08:40:05 AM »
Thanks Deb - didn't think it was intentionally ignored - I figured folks had been to busy w/Bonneville prep and other things to take the time to check the inbox.