Author Topic: Need suggestions for MC leathers  (Read 16659 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: Need suggestions for MC leathers
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
Does this metal zipper rule apply to SCTA as well?? I have looked in the rulebook and have not found anything stating anything about metal zippers.

Scott

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 01:09:44 PM »
The SCTA rules seem to indicate the zipper must be "all leather" also.
There is only mention of the "All Cow" requirement that is unique in all of motor sports.
That is what it says, do we think they know what it means ?
The rules should say what they mean, and say it in a way that is universally understood and with it comes enforceability.
Without clarity, it becomes subject to
  :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »
Hi Scott, the reasoning that ECTA may differ from SCTA here(and I can only help speak for the ECTA and believe the SCTA zipper if allowed must be made of steed as the rest of the suit), is because the ECTA is currently on a concrete surface. And with it's old joints and cracks being very pronounced, it leaves a large possibility of grabbing the jacket flap that covers the zippered seam in two piece suit during a feet forward slide and a probability of separating the two(with access to the zipper it leaves the y2k style zippers more exposed to failure via wear and/or melting).
This is why this rule may differ between the two venues and is only relative to the jacket and pants connection.
Todd

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »
The SCTA rules seem to indicate the zipper must be "all leather" also.

I really thought that would be my snide remark.  Nicely done Jack(I should of known :roll:).. :wink:
Todd

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 01:24:18 PM »
Oh, no, Todd, now you're inviting more animals into the menagerie.  Must leathers be all cow, except for the zipper, which has to be made of horse?

Happy fourth on July -- and BE SAFE out there, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »
 :-o Nice catch Slim, our livestock patrol.
You have a great day too my friend - Happy b-day to one and all.
Deb's still outta town, so...
I'm going for a ride with my naugahyde(yeah, right).
Todd
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:40:55 AM by narider »

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »
Question: Only the zipper joining the jacket to pants must be metal?

If this is indeed the OFFICIAL interpretation of the requirement, than I'd like to be corrected.

My understanding was that above 175 - (determined by current record in class entered) - that the zipper must be metal - no differing standards for 1 or 2 piece leathers.

Your mention of the armor requirement for these speeds is a noteworthy reminder as well.
Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
For God's sake, Todd!!! Don't you know that Naugas are an endangered species, and it takes hundreds of them to make a set of leathers?  Save the endangered Nauga - ride in cowhide!

BTW - I suspect that Todd and Deb have more reason than most to take these requirements seriously.  Deb's relatively minor injuries are proof that what we're doing works.  I don't have a dog in this fight (as a car racer), but I'd take Todd's word for it.

Dan

:-o Nice catch Slim, our livestock patrol.
You have a great day too my friend - Happy b-day to one and all.
Deb's still outta town, so...
I'm going for a ride with my naugahyde(yeah, right).
Todd
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 05:59:42 PM »
Slim forgot to tell you he is thick skinned due to living way up north. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 09:24:06 AM »
<SNIP>
BTW - I suspect that Todd and Deb have more reason than most to take these requirements seriously.  Deb's relatively minor injuries are proof that what we're doing works.  I don't have a dog in this fight (as a car racer), but I'd take Todd's word for it.

Dan

[\quote]

My personal opinion is that Todd's perspective makes sense - but, that doesn't gibe w/what I read in the book, hence the question. 

I want to make certain that if I, as an ECTA Motorcycle Tech Inspector, suggest any corrections, that the basis for my suggestion is the accepted definition of the rule, and not "just what Ray thinks".

I'd hate it if I kept someone from participating because I misunderstood something, I'd hate it even more if I goofed and let someone on the track w/substandard safety equipment and they were hurt.

Seems like a trivial thing, but, I take it seriously.
Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline Warp12

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »
I take this stuff seriously as well.

Looking at page 50 of the 2007 rulebook, everything is spelled out clearly in regards to metal zippers. At no point are metal zippers mentioned in relation to a 1-piece suit.

In addition, when speeds are mentioned, it is stated as "Required over 175 mph". Not "Required when the class record is over 175 mph".

If there is more to the rules than what is in the rulebook, I would just like to be directed to the documentation. Otherwise, it is a system of arbitrary rules that is being enforced.

I think everyone has the same goals in mind here. That being, clarifying the rules, and above all, maintaining safety.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:01:21 PM by Warp12 »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 08:47:36 PM »
I take this stuff seriously as well.

Looking at page 50 of the 2007 rulebook, everything is spelled out clearly in regards to metal zippers. At no point are metal zippers mentioned in relation to a 1-piece suit.

In addition, when speeds are mentioned, it is stated as "Required over 175 mph". Not "Required when the class record is over 175 mph".

If there is more to the rules than what is in the rulebook, I would just like to be directed to the documentation. Otherwise, it is a system of arbitrary rules that is being enforced.

I think everyone has the same goals in mind here. That being, clarifying the rules, and above all, maintaining safety.

I talked to a SCTA inspector this weekend and asked about the metal zipper for a two piece suit and he said I need them. I couldn't find anything in the rulebook either.

Scott

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 09:09:19 PM »
PLASTIC ZIPPERS MELT, just ask any rider that has had an oil fire or turbo fire at speed. Go with what Amo, Slim, or scott G. says.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »

If the class record is over 175 it is anticipated that competitors will be able to go over 175, therefore the rules would apply.  The fact that you scooter will only go 120 has no bearing if the record is 178.345.  you must be equipped like you do over 175.  Bikes or cars, doesn't matter  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 11:06:43 AM »
As Ray and Warp12 have shown above, there are 3 ways to decipher the rulebook.
1-the written rule
2-the interpreted rule
3-the intended rule   
Like a gearbox, anytime the three don't mesh correctly there is either backlash or binding on one or more of the components(entrants), and the proper clearance should be set rather by experience.
Glen and Stainless spoke it clearly in this case, wonder where that experience came from?

Anytime an official or entrant is at all unsure of a decision they should ask at least one other official to assure(the possibility anyways) of fairness and safety.

Dan, there's few days that go by that I don't inspect or refer to Deb's leathers for our current and future use of safety gear and bike configurations.
Todd