Author Topic: Need suggestions for MC leathers  (Read 16661 times)

Offline gearheadr90s

• New folks
Need suggestions for MC leathers
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:29:40 PM »
Showed up at Maxton last weekend and found out that the leathers I'd so carefully picked out would NOT pass tech.  Neat-o.  We'll be attending the WOS in August, so the search is back on for race-approved leathers.  Far as I understand it, we need full leather with metal zippers, one-piece, or two-piece if the zipper is 360-degree.

Naturally, cost is a concern, although I don't wanna go cheap just to be cheap (it is literally our hides on this one).  However, we're not made o' cash, so if anyone has suggestions on some places we can check into for suits that'd be superfab.

I want to thank everyone who made me and Pak's rookie outing to Maxton and the world of land speed racing an absolute blast.  You guys and gals are fantastic!

gh

Offline Stroker

• New folks
    • http://www.snartracing.com
Re: Need suggestions for MC leathers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:03:09 AM »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
what was wrong with your leathers?   :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 04:16:41 PM »
I am with Stainless--what was specific concern regarding your leathers--esp after you picked them to pass. Can this be remedied?
If not I have had excellent luck getting legal leathers for my son and I on both eBay and Craigslist.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline gearheadr90s

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 08:58:33 PM »
Two problems:
1. The zipper is not metal (two-piece).
2. I didn't realize that the breathable fabric parts were not allowed, that it had to literally be FULL leather everywhere.  The inside of the arms has a fabric section, and the backs of the knees and the crotch have fabric as well.  It was just one of those "first-timer" mistakes, you know?  I went in to the store, asked for full leathers, they showed me what they had, and a couple of weeks later I bought them.  It didn't occur to me to question the exact meaning of the word "full."  I just looked at the pants and verified that they are not 100% leather all over.  Sucks.  Spent several hundred bucks on the whole lot.  I guess that's how you learn.

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:49:45 AM »
I didn't realize that the breathable fabric parts were not allowed, that it had to literally be FULL leather everywhere. 

After all the discussion on this board about all cow, I can't believe this happened.

DW

landracing

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
I agree Dan, research and the search function would have found several topics, some spanning many many pages on this topic.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »
WWJD
Suitable recommendations from subject matter experts is forthcoming.
The rulers were given every chance and corrected information is available , but to no avail.
The best answer to ultimate fire protection is the carbon-x material underwear worn under suitable friction resistant materials.
 Back protection and and individual wear points are not addressed in the rule as they are in every other sanction body.
The board can expect to hear from a wide range of sanction bodies, manufacturers, and equipment users that include crash and burn victims with Real World experience.   :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
Two problems:
1. The zipper is not metal (two-piece).
2. I didn't realize that the breathable fabric parts were not allowed, that it had to literally be FULL leather everywhere.  The inside of the arms has a fabric section, and the backs of the knees and the crotch have fabric as well.  It was just one of those "first-timer" mistakes, you know?  I went in to the store, asked for full leathers, they showed me what they had, and a couple of weeks later I bought them.  It didn't occur to me to question the exact meaning of the word "full."  I just looked at the pants and verified that they are not 100% leather all over.  Sucks.  Spent several hundred bucks on the whole lot.  I guess that's how you learn.
GH, please feel free to call me at 540-657-8481(if it's outside business hours and/or you get the recorder, mention that it is about LSR at Maxton and I will either pick up or call you back first chance).

I was not at this last meet, but we have had an inspector or two that has not been thoroughly trained(and has apparently been mixing venues ruling interpretations), but have been there as a big help to try and ease the uneven ratio of entrants:inspectors.

I do hope that you got to run(that is always our number one goal after safety), and if you will call me I would like to help you with your dilemma and to better gain a full understanding of the "ECTA" stance regarding these two issues and most likely save you quite a bit of $ at the same time.
Todd

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:52:36 AM »
GH and Todd

I think it would be great if the conclusion you reached could be posted here......I am still trying to understand whether my alpinestar 2 piece fits the rules at Maxton

Thanks
Mark
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 11:57:18 AM by wolbrink471 »
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »
I don't think this is really a general technical discussion, but if you would instead post your concerns
in the ECTA rules section at http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/board,18.0.html as a new topic, I would be glad to share my views if it helps Mark.
Todd

landracing

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 06:23:12 PM »
NArider,

You are correct, this is a Maxton post, and I will move it over to the Maxton Tech...

Jon

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 09:28:52 AM »
The ECTA leathers requirements are articulated in the rulebook - 2 piece leathers require a jacket-to-pants zipper around at least 270 degrees of circumference, and entry into a class w/an established record over 175mph requires that the leathers have metal zippers.

The ECTA has not yet (and hopefully won't) adopted the Bonneville requirement of having no "non-leather" panels.

The motorcycle inspectors DID mention to those who suggested that they might be Bonneville bound that Bonneville had more "stringent" requirements.
Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline Warp12

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 09:34:14 PM »
Where does it state that full metal zippers are needed over 175 mph? I have reviewed the 2007 rulebook, and page 50 addresses motorcycle rider apparel.

There is absolutely no mention of metal zippers, excluding the zipper which joins a 2-piece leather. Above 175 mph a 270 degree or better metal
zipper is required around the waist. I see no text which states that metal zippers are required on a 1-piece suit. Nor do I see any rule which requires
full metal zippers.

Are there other rules in the book that I have not found? If so, can someone please elaborate on where to find the addendum to the requirements shown
on page 50? Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:36:32 PM by Warp12 »

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 09:23:39 AM »
Warp12, you interpretation is correct that only the adjoining zipper for two piece suits are required to be metal. And this only true if the bike being piloted is capable of(or the current record it is running on is), 175mph or more!
Your logbook will be corrected at the next meet.
Todd
PS: This seems to have gotten more unneeded attention this year then the "required" armor that's been missing from many suits in the same category. Don't forget that it's not about "getting by tech"(slightly more difficult then impound btw)... but about being safe - It may be beneficial to all involved if we allow our spouses and/or children to read the rulebook when it comes to some safety decisions.