Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897877 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #690 on: June 02, 2009, 12:34:58 PM »
I remember being at the Nov 07 meet when the wind picked up. Couldn't see more than 20'. everyone was driving on the north side along the hills to get out. Celia had her hand held GPS and marked it when going in at the wind sock. We just drove blind following the GPS and got out ahead of a whole line of cars. That was worse than any Central Valley fog I had ever been in.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #691 on: June 02, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
November was bad, but this was worse.  I was in the car pushing back and couldn't see a thing, I had to stop the car so I wouldn't hit any spectators.  The windows were down and when it cleared up I still couldn't see because the windows had so much dust on it. :evil:  El Mirage just needs a little wind.  :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #692 on: June 12, 2009, 03:05:09 PM »
     A little update on what we will be doing in the next couple of weeks.  We have new rod bearing on order and they should be in today to be picked up.  If they come in then we will replace them by sunday and then take the car down to Precision Auto.  Justin C at Precision wants to redue our wiring in the car.  As some may know from last bville race we had some electrical issues on Sat. before our last run. :evil:  Luckily we were able to fix the problem and qualify for impound.  We are trying to make this year a little easier on us, and a new wiring system will help.  Still trying to kill the gremlins.  :-D  As always I will keep everyone updated on what we do or change.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #693 on: June 14, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »
Bearings will be in on Monday, I will pick them up and install them that evening and start our partial tear down of water tanks to make it easier to re-wire.  :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #694 on: June 16, 2009, 09:36:20 PM »
We change the bearings last night and the old ones all looked good.  We buttoned it up today and took the fuel rails off to get one leak welded and then get them anodized.  We will take the car down to Precision to get the car re-wired.  Should be ready for Bville in a couple weeks. :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:51:40 PM by bvillercr »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #695 on: June 16, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
John,
Regarding the pin leaks in your fuel rail, and I meant to mention it at Elmo, when you come to the end of the weld pass on aluminum you need to pull the torch away from the aluminum puddle slowly and make sure that there is not a "pit" where the weld ends. Guarantee you it will have a pin hole in it if you have a pit. If you have a pit add some filler over it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Online jl222

« Reply #696 on: July 04, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »
John,
Regarding the pin leaks in your fuel rail, and I meant to mention it at Elmo, when you come to the end of the weld pass on aluminum you need to pull the torch away from the aluminum puddle slowly and make sure that there is not a "pit" where the weld ends. Guarantee you it will have a pin hole in it if you have a pit. If you have a pit add some filler over it.

Rex

Yea Rex looks like thats exactly what happend. Fixing that and fuel rails and wheels will be polished  on Monday.

Justin Coffman one of our crew members is compleatly rewiring our old primitive wiring with relays and central fuse box and adding three more grounds. Great to have an electronic expert on board.

We should be all done and ready to test fire it Tuesday or Wendsday then a couple of new duez fastners and intake duct work and were ready to load up!

JL222 :cheers:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:31:17 PM by jl222 »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #697 on: July 04, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »
Just to add to Rex's good advise, if you back up slightly before you end the weld that also helps eliminate pinholes.

Pete

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #698 on: July 10, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
A few things that we finished on the car. 

Our new electrical wiring is finished.  Just a bad picture by my phone.

Justin Sharp making a bushing for our clutch pedal.

Our fuel rails are now polished.

Started it up last night, everything works and sounds good.  A few things left to do and we can load it up.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #699 on: July 14, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »
We started it up again last night to get it warmed up to adjust the valves.  Today we replaced the older blower belt with a new purple colored belt that is supposed to be stronger than the blue.  We also got our rims back from the polisher.  Tomorrow we will get the tires back on the rims and hopefully load the car by Thursday. :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #700 on: July 14, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »
Getting close for the salt fix, I have been getting ready for a few days and I don't run a car. Will look forward to announcing your runs. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #701 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:32 PM »
Thanks Glen, hopefully we will have some runs that meritt some of your spectacular announcing. :cheers:

We finally got our rims mounted back on the tires and installed on the car, and they are nice and shiney.  They haven't looked this good since 1988.  Tomorrow we will get the car out of Precision Auto and back home.  We are getting very close to being loaded up, just a little bit of glass work on the hood a good washing and then get her loaded up.  Three more weeks and we leave, can't wait. :cheers:  Oh yeah a couple of pictures.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:43:33 PM by bvillercr »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #702 on: July 16, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »
I know you guys are going to hear Glen's most favorite words "Take it to impound!"

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #703 on: July 18, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »
We sure hope so Rex. 

Today we unloaded the car to prep it so we can load it for good.  We took the gas tank out for two reasons, one we needed to drain and clean the inside of it,

and two we needed to inspect the bottom pulley to make sure all bolts looked good and that the pulley was in good shape.  All is good and we are a couple weeks ahead of bville this year. :cheers:

Offline Bville701

« Reply #704 on: July 19, 2009, 01:59:58 AM »
Car looks good guys. I'm looking forward to seeing you at Bonneville.      :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member