Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897569 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #660 on: May 18, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
It was nice to meet everyone this last weekend.  Mkilger, Mike and Kevin L, Tom G, Rex, and Tom Slick you should have come over and introduced yourself.  I only look grumpy. :-D

Rex it's funny you talk about the tires because that's what we were talking about on the way home.  I have no problems with them at Bonneville, but these last two meets with the bad track I just can't get the power down very well.  I think the little marbles of the dirt and the wide footprint might be a problem.  If the BMR and Fred and go as fast as they did, with more power than us then it could be the tires. :evil:  New tires and rims are not cheap and we may not run El Mirage unless we get a lot of rain or new tire set up.  I have a few videos to make, this first one gives everyone an idea of what the track looked like.  More videos later tonight. :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17HOby9FnC8
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:10:05 PM by bvillercr »

Offline jl222

« Reply #661 on: May 18, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »
Troy and John,
Great to meet you guys and put faces with names. Thanks for the great hospitality and major bull session on Friday night. I had to leave Saturday so stayed around until the wind came so missed your Sunday pass, really sounds like you over powered the course. Ever thought of going with the large dia, threaded Dunlops like the BMR roadster runs on the lake for a little more traction? Just a thought. The young "bit head" guys that do your computer/injection work are very sharp and very interesting to talk with I would love to see their chassis dyno.

Thanks again and will probably see you in June.

Rex

Good meeting and talking with you Rex. It didn't take much to overpower that lousy track and I was wondering what kind of tires those were on Doug's car and there weight and speed rateing.
I had purchased some metal to make a Gurneyflap for the spoiler but our spoiler has a bend in it which will take some doing to make, and I thought the course would be great after being flooded.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #662 on: May 18, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
Good to meet you and your dad Troy. Sorry we couldn't spend more time with you.

Glad to have met you also Michael.
  Did you get the pm I sent? Not sure it worked.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #663 on: May 18, 2009, 05:03:08 PM »
We made two videos on the first pass.  One is my in car cam, and the other is from my dads new SD card video camera.  I brought is chip with me but not his camera so it won't load.  Here is an in car look with a dust problem.  I'm not trying to go real fast just trying to make it down the track and you here me short shift most gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVbUhPnBK_s

Offline jl222

« Reply #664 on: May 18, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »

Looks like we need to turn the video around and see were the dust is coming from.
 How about a smoke bomb inside and then pressurize  it?
 anyone know were to get one?

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #665 on: May 18, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
Check with the companies that test AC ducting. They use smoke generators to find leaks. Good to talk with you guys on Friday. The surface sucked though.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #666 on: May 18, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
Here is our last run on Sunday.  First and second gear were great, third gear I was peddling like mad trying to make it through the lights.  I should have one more video of the first run later tonight or tomorrow.  :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XA0vrNNj0

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #667 on: May 18, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
Cool vid's. got my juices flowing. Should have posted that one video under the visually impaired thread :-o :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #668 on: May 19, 2009, 01:27:23 AM »
last video but our first run.  You can tell how easy I was going on that run and I went faster than the second run.  This run was 180.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWVe-FdZms

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #669 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:19 AM »
Damn Troy, if you guys ever get good enough conditions to hook that sucker up...look out!!!  :-o

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #670 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »
This car tipically hooks up very good.  These last couple of races the track starts out good and turns bad when I get into 3rd gear.  Before the last two events I have never been out of shape at El Mirage and that's consistantly running throughout the 90's and up to 2001.  The track has changed a lot since then, so we may need to change a few things on our end as well (at El Mirage). :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #671 on: May 19, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
Here is our last run on Sunday.  First and second gear were great, third gear I was peddling like mad trying to make it through the lights.  I should have one more video of the first run later tonight or tomorrow.  :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XA0vrNNj0

The only reason Troy was still on the gas under those loose conditions [marbles] was to get a time over 200 mph so we can run out
of the 200 mph line but as we had a #206 starting position its hard to get a good enough track.
 Video was taken by Noel Smith one of our crew members, his dad a long time friend Skip [we used to race distric 37 desert murdercycles in
 the late 60s and early 70s] is also a crew member, came all the way from Fiddle Town Ca. [near Jackson]
 Good job Noel we didn't go as fast as we wanted but we got an intertaining video:cheers:

JL222
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:16:49 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #672 on: May 20, 2009, 03:44:34 PM »
last video but our first run.  You can tell how easy I was going on that run and I went faster than the second run.  This run was 180.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcWVe-FdZms

This Video was taken by my grandson Andrew visting us in between moving from N Carolina to visiting his mom and picking up my Grandaughter in Florida then to Denver [moving back there] dropped there belongings and
came on to Ventura-Santa Barbara then Fresno-Clovis to spent a few days with us. 5000 + miles so far [luckly he has a diesel rabbit that gets 41 mpg] :-D Then to El Mirage were they found out Acassia had to be at work at her
new job on Monday at 8:00 AM in Denver  :-o They left after shooting this video about 11:oo AM Sunday and got to Denver at 1:00 am.
Good job Andrew the video came out great and we learn alot from them.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #673 on: May 21, 2009, 01:51:52 AM »
Troy and John,
Great to meet you guys and put faces with names. Thanks for the great hospitality and major bull session on Friday night. I had to leave Saturday so stayed around until the wind came so missed your Sunday pass, really sounds like you over powered the course. Ever thought of going with the large dia, threaded Dunlops like the BMR roadster runs on the lake for a little more traction? Just a thought. The young "bit head" guys that do your computer/injection work are very sharp and very interesting to talk with I would love to see their chassis dyno.

Thanks again and will probably see you in June.

Rex

Rex
 It was a great night friday and good to meet you. If you ever get over this way we have a place to stay and we could go have a beer and check out Precision Auto's Dyno
We woun't be at elmo in June because if we break something it's to close to bville.[track conditions will need to improve also] BIG thunderstorm would help :-D
  Fulton is by Sacramento isn't it? If your going to the June meet stop by a day early and will go see precision's dyno.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #674 on: May 22, 2009, 01:14:57 AM »
Precision Auto just moved their dyno set up to where it is more racer friendly.  They moved the dyno forward and turned it 180 degrees for better access.  Pull straight in and on, instead of backing it in.  Go check it out it's a nice set up. :cheers: