Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897392 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #615 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
You might look in the McMaster Carr catalog they have several non contact tach set ups.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #616 on: April 18, 2009, 11:40:35 PM »
We worked on our spill plates today.  We had some braces to make, drill, and bend to work correctly.  The first photo shows that we have the spill plate close to 90 degrees and that we needed to cut the top down a little.  It measured a bit over 8 inches.

Now the spill plates painted and ready to put on tomorrow, plus we need to make a new push bar for the car.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #617 on: April 21, 2009, 05:02:10 AM »
Got some things done on Sunday.  We tacked the pushbar together and in place and we finished the spill plates on the spoiler.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #618 on: April 26, 2009, 09:02:14 PM »
Today we replaced both pilot chutes with two new ones.  They are much stiffer and the design looks much improved than twenty years ago. :-D  We also finished the push bar and got it back together, just need to get a shorter bolt going through the wheel.  Another improvement was to our seat belt connection on our window net.  We were going to start it today but our batteries and battery charger was not up to snuff.  Only a couple pictures today. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #619 on: April 29, 2009, 01:12:41 AM »
We fixed a few gremlins today and fired her up.  Seems like something isn't going quite right, we are ahead of the game.  The car started really easily and after we warmed it up we adjusted the valves and buttoned her up.  Only a couple things to do before the May meet, and we should have it loaded the weekend before. :-o  I took a video of the warm up, because I'm nutty like that.  I will post in a couple of days. :cheers:

Offline GH

« Reply #620 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:45 AM »
John, Troy, what kind of primer did you apply on the aluminum spoiler pieces before painting? I'm thinking about painting my spoiler also.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #621 on: April 29, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »
Hey Gary, you can get direct to metal stuff that works well for canodizing aluminum....  and steel...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

« Reply #622 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
John, Troy, what kind of primer did you apply on the aluminum spoiler pieces before painting? I'm thinking about painting my spoiler also.

Brake clean :-D

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #623 on: April 29, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #624 on: April 30, 2009, 12:51:15 AM »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #625 on: May 04, 2009, 12:41:18 AM »
We had our share of problems at Bonneville and El Mirage this year.  One problem was that our right side plexi glass light cover flew off at speed week.  We temporarily fixed it and ran the rest of the week and El Mirage with it.  So now we have time to do some cosmetic work on the car. 

We took the old light cover off and some old El Mirage dust was hiding behind them.  I cleaned it before the picture. :-D

Our aluminum pieces fit nicely.

Now complete with paint.  Just need to fill around the covers with black silicone.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #626 on: May 07, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »
bvillercr, are you ready for elmo?  cant wait to see your car again, it's starting to grow on me.  :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #627 on: May 07, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »
Yes, need to paint part of the hood and maybe replace a few Dzut fasteners and pack and load the car.  should be loaded and ready to go this Saturday. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #628 on: May 10, 2009, 12:00:40 AM »
We got the car loaded up for El Mirage today, and we needed to take a picture and send it in with our Bonneville entry.  I took a few, tell me which ones look the best.  Thanks :cheers:

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #629 on: May 10, 2009, 12:05:41 AM »
The last one.........see you at El Mirage!