Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1898080 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #585 on: December 01, 2008, 09:51:46 PM »
Sumner, I think it would look kinda goofy if the side plates went straight up at the front. The car works great as it is, I don't want to fool with it now, just make more hp and none of that partial pass stuff, ha ha, Cya

Well we don't want goofy, but I thought your spill plates angle at the front were steeper on your car than Hooley's,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #586 on: January 06, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »
Since the last conversations were about spoilers, this would be a good time to mention that we started cutting cardboard mock side plates to see which ones looked best.  Still desciding on what to do, but at least we started.  Also we did some measurements on the front end to get an idea of where our new tow bar would go.  No more pushing back to the pits from mile 6-7. :cheers:  I will post pictures when we start the process. :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #587 on: January 06, 2009, 08:11:11 PM »
bvillercr, like they say in the Pace Picante commercial .. get a rope...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline AdioSS

• New folks
« Reply #588 on: January 28, 2009, 09:57:03 PM »
Wow, I've been reading this thread for a few days now.  Lots of awesome info!

Now that you are pushing well over 2000hp to the rear wheels and are working on going 300mph and especially since you've got to change your rear spoiler, maybe it is time to find time in a wind tunnel?

Offline jl222

« Reply #589 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:26 PM »
Wow, I've been reading this thread for a few days now.  Lots of awesome info!

Now that you are pushing well over 2000hp to the rear wheels and are working on going 300mph and especially since you've got to change your rear spoiler, maybe it is time to find time in a wind tunnel?

A wind tunnel would give some great info, downforce front and back and how much lower pressure under the rear spoiler is.
   In 1994 at a USRA meet I was congratulating myself on reaching over 300 mph when the overdrive trans broke,the engine over reved,caught a valve and blew one blower apart. We still managed a time of 288mph with a 279 exit speed. The 222 camaro handles great at those high speeds and is not scary to drive. Hopefully we can make 2 passes over 300 this year.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #590 on: February 21, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »
     The owner of the local Napa stores invited us to show the car at their main warehouse.  This is the first time we displayed the car for others to see.  Maybe we will get some free plugs out of it?   :cheers:  I wish I could have been there.   :x

Precision Auto helping us out.

Wouldn't be a car event without the Hooter girls.

Just the car, in front of Napa.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #591 on: February 21, 2009, 10:42:41 AM »
NAPA!!!  Does that mean you're going to rebadge it as a Toyota?  LOL

Looks great sitting there.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

dwarner

« Reply #592 on: February 21, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »
In the second picture you and your Dad clean up real nice.

Looks good,
DW

Offline jl222

« Reply #593 on: February 21, 2009, 02:33:15 PM »
In the second picture you and your Dad clean up real nice.

Looks good,
DW

:-o :roll:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:30:57 PM by jl222 »

Offline rightytighty

• New folks
« Reply #594 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »

Troy,

Nice meeting you at our kids' trackmeet yesterday.  Really wish I would have met you before this blog was 40 pages long  :-o.  Just read everything in two long marathon sessions.  Really enjoyed the build and narrative.  You did/are doing a great job.

I can't believe the dedication and determination that you and your dad show.  It's awesome.  Can't think of a better way to spend time with a parent.

Makes me feel like a wuss with my little boat projects.   

Thanks for the motivation!  Looke forward to watching how this season goes now that you're getting a handle the new combo.

Neil

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #595 on: March 28, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »
Neil, it was great finally meeting you.  Especially when our kids are in the same class.  Your boat project is no joke, making 1200 hp unblown on gas is no easy feat. :cheers:  We will be working on the car tomorrow.  We need to get our spoiler finished and a new push bar on the car.  Will post pictures as always. :cheers:

Offline rightytighty

• New folks
« Reply #596 on: March 29, 2009, 01:33:44 AM »
Neil, it was great finally meeting you.  Especially when our kids are in the same class.  Your boat project is no joke, making 1200 hp unblown on gas is no easy feat. :cheers:  We will be working on the car tomorrow.  We need to get our spoiler finished and a new push bar on the car.  Will post pictures as always. :cheers:

I just crew on that boat. That is a serious piece.  I run a single carb'd 565" Cheby in an old cruiser.  It keeps me busy. 

When your workin' tomorrow, I'll be just over the hill from you at Pine Flat, A friend is running an 8.50 Cole Flat for the first time.  Can't wait to see his expression the first time he hits the loud peddle.  He's in for a shock.

Don't wanna distract you from progress but we have a houseboat and a wakeboard boat as well.  Your girls will have a blast with our kids (3).  When the water warms up a bit more... Then I can hear more stories about your crazy sport.   Seems like sport at it's finest ..

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #597 on: March 29, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »
PLS  Rtytyty--- pls follow up with the story about the flat bottom :evil:---lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #598 on: March 29, 2009, 11:49:17 PM »
Did a couple things today.  First I had to grind the old push bar off the car.  Second we cut a card board cut out of our new spoiler, really not sure I like the way it looks but I'm sure it will help.  Here are some photos, a couple car shots for future reference of before and after, and the card board spoiler.

Offline jl222

« Reply #599 on: March 30, 2009, 01:38:29 AM »

Man that thing is ugly,glad you posted a picture we got to cut it down a bit and maybe extend the front.

JL222 :|