Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897454 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #570 on: November 26, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »
Good to hear you made it home in one piece. See you next time.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline GH

« Reply #571 on: November 26, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »
Troy, what's this about a spoiler change for 09??? Rumor or fact??? The tow bar idea is great, I have always used one, down at the end we just hook up the car (this year me and Jerry Hoffman got so excited about going fast that we jumped into the truck and started to leave, when my wife says, "arent you going to take the car with you? we had not hooked it up yet.) and go with the AC on.

Offline jl222

« Reply #572 on: November 26, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »
  Hi Gary

Troy talked to Jim Miller briefly at El Mirage and Jim said the spoiler wording was changing. I think it has something to do with the way we angled our bottom spill plate and clarifying things for inspectors.
 I sent in a rule change request after Bville to allow any combination of spoiler shapes [in existing rules] but was to late.
 Dan what can you tell us?

JL222 :?   

dwarner

« Reply #573 on: November 26, 2008, 03:21:23 PM »
The spoiler specs have been rewritten. Check the SCTA website for the 2009 changes.

DW

Offline jl222

« Reply #574 on: November 30, 2008, 06:57:55 PM »
Here is the Saturday run where my chutes don't open.  The video operator had it zoomed in to close and on a tripod.  The second video is a little better and not as close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHUEA-pScY8
[/quote

Got the logging data from the FAST EFI transferred to my laptop and found out stuff I never could before having EFI.
   Ist shift in above video 116 mph in 6.8 sec. 2nd shift 175 mph in 13.8 sec. graft shows steady rev increase to rev limit indicating no wheel spin. Boost temp out of intercooler never got above 74 degrees [25 lbs boost]. Also shows air fuel ratios -
 throttle position-engine temp-and alot of things we don't need and will cut out.
 We are real happy with the way the car hooked up on the first part of the course but we were expecting to have trouble 
at the rear part. We did the course walk fri and sat and the 1st part was nice and tight but then the spacing got wide and noticably looser and you could tell that dirt and pebbles[marbles] would be sucked up to the top.
  Hopefully the lakebed will get compleatly flooded and we'll have a good course next year.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #575 on: November 30, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »
............. throttle position-engine temp-and alot of things we don't need and will cut out.................

It was good seeing you guys at El Mirage.

Just curious why you aren't interested in throttle position.  We like to see that at b'ville were you are not always at full throttle to see the air/fuel (and boost) at those times also and to know if Hooley is really trying  8-) .  It has helped us make decisions on weight knowing how much throttle we can run in 1st and 2nd before wheel spin to see if adding weight will hurt us there.

c ya,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #576 on: November 30, 2008, 10:04:11 PM »
He's refering to other sensors not the Air-fuel, TPS, or the engine temp.   :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #577 on: December 01, 2008, 12:10:56 AM »
............. throttle position-engine temp-and alot of things we don't need and will cut out.................

Just curious why you aren't interested in throttle position.  We like to see that at b'ville were you are not always at full throttle to see the air/fuel (and boost) at those times also and to know if Hooley is really trying  8-) .  It has helped us make decisions on weight knowing how much throttle we can run in 1st and 2nd before wheel spin to see if adding weight will hurt us there.

c ya,

Hi Sum

Guess I was't making myself clear throttle position-air fuel-rpm-boost-air temp and others are important but we have to get rid of others that we don't need and are not set up to use right now to get more run time on the run logging. Such as mpg -mph -cam sync and others.

JL222 :-D

Sum
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:25:59 AM by jl222 »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #578 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28:11 AM »

c ya,

Hi Sum

Guess I was't making myself clear throttle position-air fuel-rpm-boost-air temp and others are important but we have to get rid of others that we don't need and are not set up to use right now to get more run time on the run logging. Such as mpg -mph -cam sync and others.

JL222 :-D

Sum

You probably made yourself clear, I probably just read it too late.  We are in eastern PA now and were in CA last week and all the time changes has probably got me screwed up.  I do know for sure that I'm getting tired of driving :cry:,

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #579 on: December 01, 2008, 10:59:36 AM »
Troy, John and Dan W., it looks like the spoiler design one is the same as in the 08 rulebook. Am I correct????
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:02:12 AM by GH »

dwarner

« Reply #580 on: December 01, 2008, 11:28:27 AM »
No,

Two options, you cannot mix elements from one spoiler type with the other. NO kickouts or air flow devices allowed on spill plates.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #581 on: December 01, 2008, 11:49:27 AM »
No,

Two options, you cannot mix elements from one spoiler type with the other. NO kickouts or air flow devices allowed on spill plates.

DW

Dan wouldn't the one in the picture still be legal??  I'm a little comfused, but seem to read the new rules to imply that the one we use is still legal....

Is that Correct?

One note on the top one (the one GH posted) if it was mine I would do away with that angled part and have it go almost vertical above the axle and help with the center of pressure all I could like you have done with your car.  I realize the one on Hooley's Stude is like the very top one, but that doesn't mean I like it.  Looks cooler, but would help the car more if it is as large as the rules permit.

c ya,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #582 on: December 01, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »
Both are legal as pictured.

DW

Offline jl222

« Reply #583 on: December 01, 2008, 02:21:31 PM »
Troy, John and Dan W., it looks like the spoiler design one is the same as in the 08 rulebook. Am I correct????

Hi Gary

In the old specs it didn't say the bottom spill plate had to be mounted directly under,vertical and in line with upper spill
plate the new specs do. We mounted ours to out side edge of body and angled it back and followed the side of body,all sides of spoiler were flat which rules specified. One inspector didn't like our interpitation but was over ruled because it really didn't say we couldn't. Now it does :-(
 Now that were going to have the car painted we'll put bigger spill plates on top [move the bottoms like they want]
 and a means to install Gurney flaps.
 I sent in a rule change request to allow mixing of both spoiler designs but was past deadline.

JL222 :cheers:

Look at spill plates on pg. 23 of this build diary.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:43:27 PM by jl222 »

Offline GH

« Reply #584 on: December 01, 2008, 04:44:35 PM »
Sumner, I think it would look kinda goofy if the side plates went straight up at the front. The car works great as it is, I don't want to fool with it now, just make more hp and none of that partial pass stuff, ha ha, Cya