Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897595 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #540 on: November 11, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
Scott---Would love to---we will be doing some lisc. runs---We did get it back to you didn't we? :-D

Yep

Good I thought we did, but I'm never sure.  See you this weekend also,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #541 on: November 13, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
Ok, my computer is all fixed so here are some updated pictures of a few improvements we have made.

Our new inter-cooler is all plumbed up.

We just had two clamps holding these pipes together and it kept blowing off at bville.  We now have it braced so it can't move.

We put a new fuel pump prime system to fill the fuel rails for initial start up.

Another problem we had was some electrical problems in the steering wheel.  We now have a somewhat quick disconnect.

One of our front head light covers blew off at bville, still need to replace it.  We will put some black duct tape on it to make it look presentable.

Good luck to everyone at El Mirage.   :cheers:

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #542 on: November 16, 2008, 12:49:01 AM »
 Good to meet you and your dad today. Hopefully the wind calms down and you get some more runs in tomorrow.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #543 on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »
Troy and JL - Good to see and speek with you both again. the car sounded amazing when it took off.........great run!

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #544 on: November 17, 2008, 02:58:58 AM »
Nice meeting you JavaJoe sorry you had to leave early.  Thanks for the kind words even though we never made it through the traps under power.   :evil:

Saturday we were able to run fairly early and the car ran great.  I got up to speed and was close to getting it into high gear when she started to come around.  Luckily I was able to keep it under control, even though both chutes did not open. :-o  We calculated through our EFI, gearing and RPM that I was going about 220-225mph when it got loose.  I still had a good distance before the lights so it could have been something.  Always culda shulda. :roll:  Anyway here's my video in the car on Sat. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udo7XM472Qk

On Sundays run it was in the afternoon and the wind was about 15-20mph going across the track, similar to the Sat. run.  On this run I was really taking it a little easy and short shifting so I wasn't putting as much power down to the dirt.  I did get in high gear this time, but it wasn't long until I was in the same boat as Sat.  Oh well that's the way it goes sometimes there's always next year.  It has been awhile since we ran the car at Mirage and hopefully next year we get a little more rain to help out the track. :cheers:  Here's Sundays run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8BabM070vc
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:25:05 AM by bvillercr »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #545 on: November 17, 2008, 07:41:58 AM »
Whoa -- that much dust in the car?  Sure seemed cloudy towards the end of the runs. . .  I only rode a bike at EM - and that was five years ago this weekend.  Never realised how bad it gets inside a car.  Thanks for the videos, and thanks for the (continuing) build diary.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GH

« Reply #546 on: November 17, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »
Troy, in the second video, it looks like you hood scoop is moving up and down on the right rear corner. Does that happen all the time at speed, or are you like me, watching the road ahead?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #547 on: November 17, 2008, 10:36:37 AM »
In the first video, the dust was really bad.  I cut most of the video short because all you would have seen was dust and nothing too interesting in that.  We found an area where dust was entering and siliconed it up.  The second video the dust wasn't as bad but still present.  The car went side to side pretty good and splashed some water from a tank, (or we have a small leak somewhere) onto the rear inside 1/4 panels.  We could see it leaking onto the dirt, so we could see some more areas that need to be adressed. 

GH, the hood only flexes like that when we got a little sideways otherwise it doesn't flex. :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #548 on: November 17, 2008, 10:38:44 AM »
I've really enjoyed following your progress this season.

Thanks for your great coverage. 

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jl222

« Reply #549 on: November 17, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »
Troy, in the second video, it looks like you hood scoop is moving up and down on the right rear corner. Does that happen all the time at speed, or are you like me, watching the road ahead?

Hi Gary

It looks like the hood rise is caused by the blow off valves opening when the throttle closes and releasing 4000cfm of air, the hood only comes up when troy shuts off. Gotta fix that and the dust problem but [no broken parts :cheers:]
   The videos come in handy,hard to see everything when you have your hands full.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #550 on: November 17, 2008, 05:52:58 PM »
Got to see your Sat run from the start line ---whooo boy does that thing sound MEAN!!!!!!! :-P

watched Sundays run from about 1/3 way down the track---got to look at the left side of the car a little better through the dust a couple of times----looked like a nice save from where we were on the track   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #551 on: November 17, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
I'm working on two videos that were taken by one of our tuners at about half track.  I should have the second one done about 8.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #552 on: November 17, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »
Here is the Saturday run where my chutes don't open.  The video operator had it zoomed in to close and on a tripod.  The second video is a little better and not as close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHUEA-pScY8
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:01:56 PM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #553 on: November 17, 2008, 11:06:50 PM »
This second video I short shift the car just to get into high gear and cruze through the finish, but I get bit by the track again and had to pull the chute so I wouldn't run into the timing lights and cones. :-o  In this video my cam corder produces a couple skips in it(sorry), but after it skips it shows me getting loose.  Enjoy. :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZbf4_IUeo

Offline t russell

« Reply #554 on: November 18, 2008, 07:01:34 AM »
thanks for the video.
I really enjoy following your project.
terry