Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1898005 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #525 on: October 23, 2008, 12:38:28 AM »
Priceless!!!

Offline GH

« Reply #526 on: October 23, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »
John, the GMC is not going into a body that is 1948 or older.

Offline jl222

« Reply #527 on: October 23, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »
John, the GMC is not going into a body that is 1948 or older.

Hi Gary

I believe you can run X0 blown gas altered [pg 91 168.2 mph] and other non vintage classes with 1948 and later bodies but turbos and efi are not allowed,[as I read the rule book [pg 16-17]otherwise your going heads up against modern engines like small block chevs. kugel and LeFevers 300.787.

JL222

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #528 on: October 23, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »
As I read it, turbos and EFI are NOT allowed in Vintage (pre1948 bodies) but OK everywhere else...............GH and I have talked about this many times.....................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #529 on: October 23, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »
I don't know anything about EFI but turbos better be allowed in XO/BGAlt. I have held that record for years using two Corvair turbos. It's about time somebody did it in.

Offline jl222

« Reply #530 on: October 23, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »
As I read it, turbos and EFI are NOT allowed in Vintage (pre1948 bodies) but OK everywhere else...............GH and I have talked about this many times.....................JD

Hi JD

I see the clarification now XO-XF-ECT using vintage bodies [bottom of pg. 16 :roll:

THANKS JL222

PS it would still sound better with a procharger :evil:

Offline GH

« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
John, I do agree with you about the sound. Mine sounded better with the roots blower and mechanical injector. But I sure like the way it performs with the turbos and EFI. And I like the datalogging that you get with the EFI. I already have the turbo and the intake built for the EFI on the GMC engine.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #532 on: October 27, 2008, 01:16:27 AM »
We got a few things accomplished today.  We installed the blower and intake.

We finished bracing the inter-cooler down.

We also had to cut one of our blower tubes and add it to another to lengthen the tube so we can connect it on the engine side of the cowl.  This was one of our major problems at Bonneville, we kept blowing it apart and losing boost thus shutting it down.  I had a picture of it but I somehow deleted it. :evil:  Anyway we have only a few things to do to finish up, I will keep this updated until we run. :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #533 on: November 03, 2008, 05:51:22 PM »
bviller,
I was part owner of the BMW factory 320 IMSA turbo car for some time and when we went to sell it the buyer required that we run it on the dyno. We set it up and as I remember we did run the boost as high as 80 inches and we had somewhat of the same problem you had with the connector hoses blowing off and also splitting. To fix this we would use 3 clamps, one on each side of the tube bead and then one in the middle to keep the hose from bulging. We also used some .040 lock wire and lock wired all of them together! this stopped them from blowing apart. And it allowed us to really blow it up! A piston/rod assembly, a sleeve and some head repair got it up to around 650 hp. Not bad for 121 inches, mechanical fuel injection (Kugalfisher) and gas in 1987.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #534 on: November 11, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »
Did a little tuning on the car last night and will warm it up again today and check the valves and load her up.  should be at el mirage by 1pm.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #535 on: November 11, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
I can't wait to to see & HEAR that thing run!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #536 on: November 11, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
I can't wait to to see & HEAR that thing run!!!!!!!!!!

Sparky are you go to El Mirage this weekend? I would like to meet you, I had a chance at WOS when you and Sumner were working on the car and he borrowed my cordless drill, but I did not want to bother you.

Scott

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #537 on: November 11, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »
 I can't wait to see the car as well. See you at El Mirage. I will be getting there Thursday night.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: November 11, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »
Scott---Would love to---we will be doing some lisc. runs---We did get it back to you didn't we? :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #539 on: November 11, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »
Scott---Would love to---we will be doing some lisc. runs---We did get it back to you didn't we? :-D

Yep