Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897446 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #450 on: August 24, 2008, 07:01:16 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot to say that I got a red hat. :-D

Awesome!! All the hard work paid off!! :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #451 on: August 24, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
Ok, my football draft is in 2 hours so I will give an update of the week.  We left Fresno around 9:30am, we got to Reno around 4:30pm and this is where the trouble started.  As we were driving a truck pulled up to us and was pointing down at our trailer tire, we had a flat.  We pulled over into the Nugget parking lot to fix it.  It only took about 30 minutes.  So off we went, 15 minutes another truck pulles up to us and points to the same side and another flat tire, we pull over and now we only have three tires on the trailer that work.  We call around for about an hour and we decide to drive to Fernley which was only about 15 minutes away.  We got D and D tire to make an after hour fix.  We got 4 new tires with a higher load rating and then we were off around 8:30.  We finally make it into Wendover at 4:30 in the morning(time adjusted) and got a few hours of sleep.  Now it's Wednesday and we got through inspection and get ready to run.  My dad is in the car and realizes that his bi-focal glasses are interferring with his vision as his head is tilted and can't see very well.  So he desides to run anyway because he can see ok.  His run was pretty good but he blew a blower tube off and had to shut down.  He went about 198 and shut off before the 2.  As he was getting out of the car he used the windshield as leverage to get out.  And baaaamm the window broke, and landed flat on his back.  Luckily he was fine.  We thought our week was over.  That night we did a little reseach on phone numbers of salvage yards from Elko to Salt lake.  We found a window in Wells. :-D  The window was going for $40 but it would be faster to buy the whole door in which we paid $60.  So on Thursday we fixed the window and blower tube by 2pm and the course was shut down soon there after because of wind.  Friday I got in the car for the second time ever at Bville and the car was unbelievably fast.  I was all over the course because of the torque of the engine, I wasn't spinning the tires at all.  On friday I went thru the 1/4 at 242 and the mile at 257 and one of the blower tubes came off.  So I shut down the run, but we qualified for the record. :-D  Saturday morning I ran and was really trying to go fast too soon.  I tried to get the car going faster sooner and when I got the RPM's up around 6000 it really took off.  So much so that I got pretty out of shape, so much so the tower or patrol thought that I had spun.  Record run attempt finished. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:59:31 PM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #452 on: August 24, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
Sorry I didn't know how much I could write at one time.  Anyway we had to get re-inspected and after that we got back in line to run.  The next run I took it easy at the begining and charged hard after I was in high gear.  Again a blower tube blew off.  I went thru the 1/4 at 223 and the mile at 236 and shut down.  I decided not to go to impound because I wanted to go more than the first mile.  So we really fixed the blower tube by pop riviting a strap on both sides of the tubing and then got back in line.  On the next run the intercooler leaked so bad that when I took off water was comming out of the exhaust.  It was so bad the push truck got drenched with water.  Needless to say the car ran terrible.  Thinking this could be my last run I took it thru the mile hopeing I would qualify.  I didn't.  We did have enough time to fix the problem and get back in line.  The next run we had more problems at the start.  I had smoke comming off the stearing wheel.  The wire going to the starter had a bare spot and got too hot and was burning inside the car.  We thought we fixed it and started the car and again it started to smoke.  Not knowing if we had enough time we took 90% of the wire out and replaced it.  We got to make one final run and we almost made a full pass.  Started off good in 1st and short shifted to second, the engine sputtered pretty bad and wouldn't pick up the RPM's so I short shifted 2nd, 3rd was better and took it up to about 5500 and shifted into high gear and let her go.  I went thru the 1/4 at 241 and had to back out a little because of driver error and got back into it and went thru the mile at 244, it started pulling real good and went thru the 4 at 263 then as I got to about the 4 1/4 I thought the blower tube broke again and coasted thru the 5 at 269 with and exit speed of 244.  So as I was slowing down I could still hear a whistling sound and I could see that the blower tube was ok.  When I stopped I realized that it was a Co2 line got too hot and was leaking so I shut off the bottle and was happy it wasn't the blower tube.  We were happy to qualify again.  So on Sunday morning in inpound we fired it up to get it warm and found out that the intercooler had blew apart at one of the bottom welds.  In a panic we fixed up some epoxy and applied it and put a tin sheet over it and a bunch of paper towels over it to help seal it.  By the time we fixed it we were the last car to run.  We were told if we didn't push up we wouldn't be able to run.  We were ready by then and I was suiting up.  As I took off the engine and intercooler was working well.  About the 1 1/2 I could see paper towel/epoxy mixture hitting the dash, so I thought it would be over soon.  At about the 2 3/4 something blew and I lost a lot of power.  We went thru the 1/4 at 238 and the mile at 248.  When we got back to impound and took the hood off there was no blower belt.  Our tuners went to get our time slip and then went down the course to find the blower belt.  They said the course was really bad in the middle and that they pick up the blower belt at the 2 1/4. :-o  I had no idea it blew that soon.  So that was our story of Bville this year and I want to thank Justin Coffman and Justin Sharp with their extreme talant and tuning capabilities.  We have never ran 4 times in one day, with their help we got the record and I got a red hat. :-D  They are now hooked and will be tuning more cars from Bville and may be comming back in Oct. with inspectors Ed W, Gene, and Gary to get their license passes and now they have the Bonneville bug. :-D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:03:20 PM by bvillercr »

Offline GH

« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »
Way to go guys. I have been watching on the intrernet every evening at the motels, we're still on the way home, we are in Alamosa, Colorado tonight. We are taking out time traveling, and helped a guy with tire/wheel trouble on a small camper trailer. Cya

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
Awesome Troy!! When you guys get all of these new build problems worked out and can go full throttle that car is going to fly!!

Scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2008, 08:39:51 PM »
Way to go guys  :-D, enjoyed talking to dad under the car.  I can't imagine anyone working harder than you guys did and congrats on the red hat.  You deserve it!!!

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #456 on: August 24, 2008, 09:27:21 PM »
Thanks guys and Summner thanks for helping out with the steering problem we had.  A couple things that I forgot about.  There were so many things that happened to us I forgot to mention that when my dad made his run the car was torque steering on him as well and the steering on the car itself had a grimmey, rusty spot on the shaft.  He could barely steer the thing while he was going down the course, and Summner hopped down on the ground and got dirty sanding the steering shaft.  Thanks again Sum.  Another problem we had was on Saturday our headers were badly cracked in many spots.  I went to the Burklin crew, but they were already loaded up and really couldn't help us so then I went to the Blowfish crew and they were loaded as well.  We finally got a tip that the flying Morman's had a welder.  They did and I thank them as well for helping us use there equipment.  Just another year.  Thanks everyone that helped.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:35:27 PM by bvillercr »

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #457 on: August 24, 2008, 10:20:07 PM »
Congratulations!
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline AJR192

« Reply #458 on: August 24, 2008, 10:27:55 PM »
Troy
  Great job! I am ecstatic you got your red hat. It was great to meet you guys and see in person your unbelievable car. The fact you gat your record kinda puts the icing on the cake for speedweek this year. It can only get better and better. AJR, JR & JR'S PAPA......

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #459 on: August 24, 2008, 11:39:30 PM »
Troy
  Great job! I am ecstatic you got your red hat. It was great to meet you guys and see in person your unbelievable car. The fact you gat your record kinda puts the icing on the cake for speedweek this year. It can only get better and better. AJR, JR & JR'S PAPA......

It was good to meet your family as well.  Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #460 on: August 25, 2008, 12:37:02 AM »
I heard there was concern in inspection about the intercooling plumbing in the passenger compartment.

Stan Back i missed the greyhounds this year but i would like to know WHO you heard their was a concern about the intercooler in the driver compartment. Their was no mention of a problem to us at inspection.
 They allow superchargers in the driver compartment so what the hell is an intercooler compared to that.
 Don't believe everything you hear especially from certain people. Rumors can be used by certain people to influence people,their would still be a Speedsters club if not for a lying rumor monger trying to get rid of the new president and prevent him from bringing on PPG as Bville sponsors and he almost succeeded,but i caught him at his dirty work and he got reelected as president.
 SO WHO DID YOU HEAR IT FROM AND WHO DID THEY HERE IT FROM!
 If i don't hear from you i'll hold you responsible for it.

JL222

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #461 on: August 25, 2008, 04:34:59 AM »
Congratulations from Australia guys,WELL DONE!Isnt it amazing how much effort us LSR people go to,just to get a hat?You've worked hard(Harder than most)and got the rewards.I know what it's like,we worked our butts of to get in the 2 club down here!
Cheers, Bob, DLRA #66 C/GCC.
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #462 on: August 25, 2008, 11:28:17 AM »
Way to go you guys and a great big congrats on your red hat and record.

Thank you for this entire thread, it's been great fun reading along about all of your trials to get that mean machine to the salt!!!

Can't wait to hear what's next :-D

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #463 on: August 25, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »
The greater the effort, the more the hat means, wear it with pride !! Taking it up to the last car to run is maxing the effort out

Offline CTRon

« Reply #464 on: August 25, 2008, 06:08:43 PM »
way to go guys! glad to see you got the record.. i saw you guys in impound on friday and chatted with you guys for a couple minutes..
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR