Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897391 times)

dwarner

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Troy,

Please let us know soon. I hope I explained the options to him correctly.

DW

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2008, 10:18:19 PM »
Troy,

Please let us know soon. I hope I explained the options to him correctly.

DW

Dan, I'm going up there tomorrow night to put our new 8000# wench on the trailer.  I will take multiple photos of how it is and if we need to change anything please let us know. 

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »
Oh, on another note we have an oppointment at the dyno shop next week on Wednesday night.  It will be a late one so I will post photos and a video on Thursday or Friday. :-D :-D

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2008, 10:34:06 PM »
bvillercr, How do keep  the transmission on your procharger together?  Have you guys had any problems when you have to pedal the car or go to shift?  I picked up a F2 unit, and I am thinking about going away from the gilmer belts that they only run with to a serpentine belt so I can get some slip. I have herd stories of the transmission blowing on high RPM shifts.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:41:59 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »
On our new Procharger F3R-139, we haven't put any runs on it.  On our old D2's the only problem we had was running two inch belts, but we also ran two blowers on that one belt.  Once we went to the 3 inchers we haven't had any problems.  We also try to back off the throttle just a bit before we shift.  The only real problem we had was breaking the input shaft on our tranny from the power of the Procharger. :-D  The serpentine belt will work as long as it doesn't slip, they use the Gilmer for a good reason. :-D :-D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:55:07 PM by bvillercr »

Offline comp

« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »
 WOW great thread  :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2008, 12:59:59 AM »
bvillercr, How do keep  the transmission on your procharger together?  Have you guys had any problems when you have to pedal the car or go to shift?  I picked up a F2 unit, and I am thinking about going away from the gilmer belts that they only run with to a serpentine belt so I can get some slip. I have herd stories of the transmission blowing on high RPM shifts.

maguromic
 We have had plenty of problems over the years with the centrifugals mostly from driving two blowers with one belt. The problem is that the driver side blower drives the passenger side blower putting twice the power requirements on it. So the driver side is the one we usually have problems with. When we went 288 the overdrive trans slipped causing the engine to over rev catching a valve -backfiring and blowing the blowers off. none of the problems we've had could be blamed on the manufactures because we were using two blowers to get the cfm and boost needed for our big engine,which they were not designed for.We were real happy when procharger made the F3R-139 4000 cfm blower which enables us to use just one blower.
 Good luck with your F2 what motor and car? The WW2 aero engines had slip clutches to take the shock loads off the trans gears when they shifted into high blower gear. I wonder if we'll ever catch up?

JL222
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:03:14 AM by jl222 »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
  JL222

Thanks for the info.  My concern was that a friend of mine was racing up Piles Peak last year and he had a F1R and at high RPM  shifts he blew the transmission in the head unit. For this year he built a belt drive gear system for the transmission.  Also Doug Robinson mentioned that he had problems with his hybrid supercharger till he went to a  "V" belt. 

My F2 is going on a GMC XO motor and still haven't decided to build a gear drive and eliminate the belt on the supercharger or some style of belt.  Still investigating the problems, it seems that the shaft in the transmission that the gears ride on is the culprit.  Its too small for the high rpm and when you go to shift the shaft flexes throwing the gear alignment off and BOOM.  I was reading that the early Miller and Offy blowers had very smiler problems till they devised way to fix it.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2008, 12:59:03 AM »
Here are a few photos of our old spoiler and what the new one will look like.

The new one is almost complete.  Dan the spoiler is less than 8 inches down.

Offline jl222

« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »
  JL222

Thanks for the info.  My concern was that a friend of mine was racing up Piles Peak last year and he had a F1R and at high RPM  shifts he blew the transmission in the head unit. For this year he built a belt drive gear system for the transmission.  Also Doug Robinson mentioned that he had problems with his hybrid supercharger till he went to a  "V" belt. 

My F2 is going on a GMC XO motor and still haven't decided to build a gear drive and eliminate the belt on the supercharger or some style of belt.  Still investigating the problems, it seems that the shaft in the transmission that the gears ride on is the culprit.  Its too small for the high rpm and when you go to shift the shaft flexes throwing the gear alignment off and BOOM.  I was reading that the early Miller and Offy blowers had very smiler problems till they devised way to fix it.

I'm not to familiar with the F2 but i believe the gear case is machined from solid billitt as our F3R 139 is, go to page 6 of this build to see comparison between the F3R and one of our D2's. The gear case is way bigger than the D2 and we didn't have problems with the D2's which were machined castings.

How many times are you going to shift on a bville run compared to Pikes peak?
  There is a company in Arizona that makes a gear drive that bolts in front of the motor and uses quick change gears [i believe]
that we looked into but we did'nt have enough room for it and it cost 3000$. Procharger has the phone#.
 Like bvillercr says they run cogs on their race blowers for a reason.
 Doug only runs about 15lbs boost, put in 25 or 30 and make it come alive. After messing with mechanical fuel injection i suggest blowing into a big 4 barrel carb. Their's an engine builder making over 1700 hp with a big chev an F2 -4 Barrel -pump gas and cog belt. Steve Morrison i believe.

Good luck  JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
The Supercharger Store ----makes the gear drive unit ofr Prochargers---they have a web site!! great guys---
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2008, 10:51:30 AM »
We got most of the winch completed, here a couple pictures.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2008, 11:53:48 AM »
Here's a link to the supercharger store.

http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #313 on: July 09, 2008, 12:26:44 PM »
............................. After messing with mechanical fuel injection i suggest blowing into a big 4 barrel carb. Their's an engine builder making over 1700 hp with a big chev an F2 -4 Barrel -pump gas and cog belt. Steve Morrison i believe.

Good luck  JL222

So are you going to the carb??  Also are you going to put spill plates on top of the spoiler and run them to the axle?

c ya,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #314 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
Troy,

That looks fine as long as it is not over 10" long.

DW