Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897868 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2008, 10:06:05 PM »
How about Fred in his Modified Roadster.

Offline Freud

« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »
When we discuss the sound while running.......Jerry Jones wins.

When we discuss the sound of puking.....Freddie has the misfortune of winning that contest until he
installed the dry sump.

FerD

Since '63

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
When we discuss the sound while running.......Jerry Jones wins.

When we discuss the sound of puking.....Freddie has the misfortune of winning that contest until he
installed the dry sump.

FerD

He did have some puking problems didn't he. :-)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »
Great sounds go with the speed, I have been so lucky over the years to time and see the many records set. Hoping yours will be on the list and record book this year.

We hope so too. :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #289 on: June 10, 2008, 12:37:10 AM »
We measured our roll cage for the new roll bar padding and will order soon from Butler.  Here is a picture of our funny car style cage.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2008, 01:22:35 AM »
Sounds and Speed----I sure liked my Lakester sound better with 20" Stacks :-D bettter than with a 18"X 4" collector headers---just sounds like a Roadster now at speed!!!!!!!!!!! :-(
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2008, 02:19:53 AM »
   These pads are what are required in top fuel and funny car, more info at GARVIN MOTORSPORTS.COM

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #292 on: June 27, 2008, 12:01:39 AM »
Our instant center is 102 inches.  So that equates to 4 1/2 inches back from the center line of the front wheels.  102 inches was not as far as I thought it was, but still out there.  The % of rise was 8% or 1 1/4 inches and the center of gravity was at 15 1/2.  Our car is an Alston full chasis set up so what works for us might not work for you. 

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2008, 12:03:10 AM »
Man I hope you guys run good this year!!

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:02 AM »
Today we did some filing on our old barrel valve and started the car up.  The throttle response was much crisper, so we think we are getting closer.  We will get the car on the dyno soooooon. :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #295 on: June 27, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
   To anybody thats interrested

Thought i would try to explain all those lines The straight line next to the car represents the ground then we square off the center lines off the wheels [or axles] the mounting holes for the 4link and the weight distribution point of the car. Then we measure the height at the center of the bolts of the 4link bars 2 in front 2 in back [bars are 24- 21''long] then we transfer those numbers to the floor off the square lines then we snap a line off the two top and two bottom marks. Where they meet is called the instant center the distance is measured from rear axle center line to convergence point [102'' for us].
 Next we calculate the percentage of rise. The center of gravity of car [camshaft height recomended by Alston] and mark that number on the floor squared off the weight distribution point [15.5''for us]
 Then we snap a line from center of rear wheel [marked on floor] to instant center point.the percentage of rise is calculaded by dividing the center of gravity by the inches from the ground where the snapped line crosses the center of gravity line.[in our case 1.25 divided by15.5=8%
   Hope this helps bville racers understand 4links better.With several different mounting holes one can change weight transfer and force to the tires.

JL222

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:52:07 PM by jl222 »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #296 on: June 27, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »
   To anybody thats interrested

Thought i would try to explain all those lines The straight line next to the car represents the ground then we square off the center lines off the wheels [or axles] the mounting holes for the 4link and the weight distribution point of the car. Then we measure the height at the center of the bolts of the 4link bars 2 in front 2 in back [bars are 24- 21''long] then we transfer those numbers to the floor off the square lines then we snap a line off the two top and two bottom marks. Where they meet is called the instant center the distance is measured from rear axle center line to convergence point [102'' for us].
 Next we calculate the percentage of rise. The center of gravity of car [camshaft height recomended by Alston] and mark that number on the floor squared off the weight distribution point [15.5''for us]
 Then we snap a line from center of rear wheel [marked on floor] to instant center point.the percentage of rise is calculaded by dividing the center of gravity by the inches from the ground where the snapped line crosses the center of gravity line.[in our case 15.5 divided by1.25=8%
   Hope this helps bville racers understand 4links better.With several different mounting holes one can change weight transfer and force to the tires.
                                                  JL222

John thanks for putting all the time into posting this.  Now I have a question, as always, and bear in mind that I know next to nothing about 4 link setups, but I thought they were mainly used to help with the launch at the drag strip and wonder how they effect our relatively slow accelerating cars.  I did find the following link that helped me to understand the versatility of them on the drag strip.......

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/Launching_A_Drag_Car.htm

.......... I guess the question I have is can they do much for us in improving our speeds?

Thanks,

Sum

Offline jl222

« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2008, 01:51:20 AM »
    Sum
  In our case by lowering the instant center their is less hit to the tires, or less shock.The light springs do the same thing. If landspeed racers ever read Carroll Smith's book they would get a lot of ideas on wheelspin and how to control it. Most of the problems are wheel rates to high. worse case, solid suspension which he says the wheel rates go to infinity.His book is on roadracing but the principles are the same.
  Years ago freinds of mine had a modified roadster with wheelspin problems, by scaling the chassis [directions out of Alston book] we could see that they were really planting the tires.In their case a simple fix was to drill bolt holes higher in the top foward brackets,this solved the problem. Engine in roadster is 1925 chev 4cyl. As carroll Smith says don't equate wheelspin with hp.
  Any how a 4link allows the instant center to be set at a longer and lower spot than a latter bar are other systems.
  hope this helps.
                             JL222

ps    if you ever get a chance to push down on a sprint cars rear supension
you would be amazed at how soft it is.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
    Sum
  In our case by lowering the instant center their is less hit to the tires, or less shock.The light springs do the same thing. If landspeed racers ever read Carroll Smith's book they would get a lot of ideas on wheelspin and how to control it. Most of the problems are wheel rates to high. worse case, solid suspension which he says the wheel rates go to infinity.His book is on roadracing but the principles are the same.
  Years ago freinds of mine had a modified roadster with wheelspin problems, by scaling the chassis [directions out of Alston book] we could see that they were really planting the tires.In their case a simple fix was to drill bolt holes higher in the top foward brackets,this solved the problem. Engine in roadster is 1925 chev 4cyl. As carroll Smith says don't equate wheelspin with hp.
  Any how a 4link allows the instant center to be set at a longer and lower spot than a latter bar are other systems.
  hope this helps.
                             JL222

ps    if you ever get a chance to push down on a sprint cars rear supension
you would be amazed at how soft it is.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to see about that book and study up on this some,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2008, 12:13:27 AM »
Pops is working on a new rear spoiler for the car should be done soon.  I will post pictures when I can. :-D