Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1898120 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2007, 03:19:07 PM »
Down force helps
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
Down force helps
Geeze Glen !
It's no wonder I can't sell My "Weed Burners", thanks a lot !
Seriously, the best placemnt of the probe is going to vary widely with the application.
Best would be a standoff little chamber that would see the average of all the comings and goings, and give you a better total.
In any case it is just 1 part of a lot of information that applies to only your package and remains as only 1 part of the tuning decision that doesn't necessarily transffer to another.
The same tuneup with another nut behind the wheel. won't even be the same. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »
This is an NHRA Nitro car.........just thought you would like the picture.

Scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
..............................Best would be a standoff little chamber that would see the average of all the comings and goings, and give you a better total...........

I made one similar to the one in the picture, but we haven't used it yet.  One exhaust pipe only but the benefit is that the scavenge pipe can go up the exhaust pipe to a point where reversion shouldn't be happening.  The suction other one can also go up the pipe. 

This lets you get the distance from the exh. port you want and still get a good sample.  Also now the sensor isn't in the pipe so overheating is no longer a concern.  We still might use it, but we seem to be getting accurate readings once under way.

There is more here when I asked this question a year or so ago:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872

c ya and thanks Jack for finding the course post from long ago (still seems pretty complicated and depends on a lot of different people cooperating, but if it has worked who can argue with that..........),

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2007, 11:31:34 PM »
This is an NHRA Nitro car.........just thought you would like the picture.

Scott

Thanks for the photo Scott.  We have the same capabilities on our headers to run pyrometers but just haven't had the room.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 12:07:03 AM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2007, 12:25:01 AM »
We got a few things done, but not finished today.  We tacked on some braces to the blower tubes just in case the clamps don't hold it together.  We did all connections but I only took two shots.

Once these tabs are finished all the tubes will be sent out for some sort of chrome job.  Not sure on the color?  We had to take the inter-cooler out to finish putting the temperature sensors in it.  It barely fits in between the cage. 

The sensors we use to measure the air temperature before and after the inter-cooler.

Offline jl222

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2007, 12:50:13 AM »
Down force helps
[/Exactly, we  believe we get down force and thrust .I saw on  tv a funny car that lost its zoomies the front end was off the ground 2 or 3 ft and the back tires were off 6 inches or more.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2007, 11:12:51 AM »
Doesn't look like you are beading the tubing and are depended only on the tightness of the clamps to hold every thing together so your tabs are really needed. I ran a two liter BMW 4 valve motor on the dyno once with double clamps on both sides and at around 70 inches the inlet blew off so we added lock wire to help hold every thing together. With the sizes of your tubes I'll bet you could bead the end with a standard bead roller, might be worth trying.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline hitz

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2007, 03:49:04 PM »

Just a quick thought. I didn't see a strap welded to to the zoomies at the outer end.I think I saw where that was required in the rule book. Maybe you just can't see it in the pictures. I hope that's the case. Good luck on the salt and dirt!

Harv

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:13 PM »
straps for headers or zoomies are not required.  Straps are required on Roots type or blowers on top, maybe thats where you saw straps?

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2007, 11:40:32 PM »
I think he may be referring to this rule item which indirectly requires a strap or similar retention system.

2007 rules
page 32
3.P Exhaust systems

... individual stacks will be connected by welding or other means near the free end so as to prevent destruction due to vibration.

Larry

Offline jl222

« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2007, 12:48:29 AM »
Down force helps
[/

That's right Glen we get down force and thrust from our zoomies ,wish i had angled the ends back a little more.
 I saw a picture of a funny car that lost one of its headers the front was up about 2 or 3 ft and the rear tires were off the ground 6" or so. I cracked the throttle a little too much after warming the engine and almost blew the hood off the top of the car we set up there when working on the engine.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2007, 01:04:59 AM »
I think he may be referring to this rule item which indirectly requires a strap or similar retention system.

2007 rules
page 32
3.P Exhaust systems

... individual stacks will be connected by welding or other means near the free end so as to prevent destruction due to vibration.

Larry

Yes, they are welded in between the stacks.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2007, 08:39:49 PM »
Like stated here before, a thousand five minutes jobs to do.  Today we got a few things done.  The inner-cooler tubes are finished and ready to send to get its coating.  I wired up the batteries and water pump, put on the air nozzles for the transmission, and the manifold is done; no leaks and ready to put on.

We forgot how low the car is when it is off the jacks.

A little history of the car, last time at Bonneville was 03.

Manifold will go on late tonight or early tomorrow with a lots of little things to do.

Offline Freud

ReF: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »
You fotos are presented marvelously.

FREUD
Since '63