Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1907621 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2007, 12:36:35 AM »
Its funny to me how sometimes I accidentally get a tool and then ask myself "how did I ever live without it"

I needed a welding hood for a project at work and forgot any one of about 6 I have at the house. Grainger (next door to where I was at) did not have any low end hoods in stock so I ended up buying one of those electric auto-darkening helmets.

It cost a little more....but I cant see myself using anything else. I never realized how much better it is to see what you are working on, hold it with one hand, the gun with the other and not have to loose your spot to lower the shield and strike an arc on something way off from your target.

I am sure the old schoolers will say I am a puss......
So be it, I like my conveniences!!!

Because you did not make Speedweek are you still going to run the A motor?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2007, 01:04:49 AM »
The shield or hat my dad is using is one of those instant dark types.  The problem was that it didn't want to work outside, inside it worked fine.  Go figure?  And yes the A motor is in the car and we are planning on running it the rest of the year.  If for some freak of nature break, we might put the AA back in.  Troy

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »
  We were a bit busy and had to cut the day and weekend short for working on the car.  Today we got a few things done.  The manifold got some porting.  Two down and six to go.

The push bar is done and received a couple coats of paint.

The aluminum plate has its beveled holes and rounded off corners.

The plate is now on the frame and ready to get sized up to the car.

I cleaned off the old dirt and grime off the brake rotors and installed the new front tires.  I also put the headers on for good.

Things are coming together but we still need to pound away at this build to make USFRA.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »
Still porting the manifold, should be done tomorrow?  Today I worked on putting in our plugs for the extra spark plug hole.

I also worked on some steel braided hoses.

One down and many to go.  We have some hose clamps to secure the braided hose to the side panels.  You can see one of them on the front part of this hose.  Will have more pictures tomorrow.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2007, 01:26:40 AM »
The manifold is almost finished getting ported.  Once that is done then the linkage will be finished and we will move on to the injector lines.  Here is a picture of one of the water line shut off valve that was finished.

Tomorrow we will be working on oil lines, manifold and getting the fuel tank back in and the get the fuel lines attached.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »
I know your breather tank is supposed to hold any overflow, but are you sure directly over the headers is the only place for it?  Sure hate to see a fire...

Don't you love the criticism you get from people thousands of miles away???
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2007, 10:42:12 AM »
I guess if the overflow, overflows then there could be a problem.  The oil line is almost 3 feet long and the mini tank should hold a quart, it better not leak!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »
Yesterday the manifold porting was finished, the spacer was bolted on and ground down to match the manifold.  A little more cosmetic touch up and all the grinding should be done.

fuel pump is on.

I can't believe how long it can take to make up oil lines.  The # 12's were easy but one of the 16's was a bear to put together.  One more oil line to the pan and one oil drain line from the valve cover and there done.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:36 PM »
Great job! When can we get a full size shot of the whole car??

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »
Great job! When can we get a full size shot of the whole car??

Scott

Look on page 7 half way down.  It's a little dusty but this is what the car will look like. 

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2007, 12:31:35 PM »
troy i would move that spooge bottle also... i would put it up higher so it would drain back into the sump tank....definitely away from the header..... good work ... keep up the thrash so we can see it on the salt
kent

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2007, 05:37:05 PM »
So, after you made those lines, how many little pin holes were in your fingers???

Lookin good!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2007, 08:15:28 PM »
Looks like we will not make the September meet at Bonneville, so we are shooting for the finals.   I will post some pictures and some verbage later tonight.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2007, 01:18:16 AM »
I know your breather tank is supposed to hold any overflow, but are you sure directly over the headers is the only place for it?  Sure hate to see a fire...

Don't you love the criticism you get from people thousands of miles away???

your right.

troy i would move that spooge bottle also... i would put it up higher so it would drain back into the sump tank....definitely away from the header..... good work ... keep up the thrash so we can see it on the salt
kent

Your right too.

Sometimes it is easy to put something where it fits the best and not think about the possibilities of what could happen.  Here is a picture of my dad and his twin in 1957 with their blown olds.

My dad told me a story about how they hooked up the fuel lines backwards and the consequences that resulted.  So we are moving the oil overflow.  Thanks for putting these thoughts in our heads.  I guess we were a little rushed to get things done and we didn't quiet think this through.  Some pictures of the move.

Found a spot on the front side of the blower plate.  If it does overflow then it will hit the plate and nothing hot. 

We installed the new push rods and set the valves.

Manifold is almost finished.  We need to build up a little at the bottom of the port to get it right.  The outside is all polished and the fuel lines will be done next.  After that the manifold goes on the engine is complete.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2007, 01:32:36 AM »
Looks good bro, that's a really cool pic of your old man!

One of the reasons I post my builds is for the exact reason that other people might see something you don't and can prevent you a lot of heartache down the road from their past experiences.

Scott