Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897590 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »
Troy,

What is your static compression? How much Boost in PSI are you looking to get out of the new blower?

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2007, 04:58:49 PM »
compression is 8 1/2 and the boost we were told by Procharger that we should get 35psi.  In 90' we went 275 with 12psi.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2007, 02:49:54 PM »
Bville,

The car and all of your work looks great1

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2007, 11:39:48 PM »
Thanks Scott, we are doing a lot weld grinding right now.  We are working on the bracing for the inter-cooler and then we need to work on the  mainifold to get it ported and drilled for injectors and that would be the major part of the work that needs to be done.  The rest will be easy stuff.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2007, 12:28:51 AM »
We worked on getting the blower tubes ground down and only have two more welds to do.  One for a support for the front of the blower inlet and the last is a water injection cupler. 

Need to finish this front bracket.

We also got the inter-cooler tank secured to the car.

Once all the tubing is finished we will be getting it coated.  Most likely it will be chromed.

Throttle body will take a little patience.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
It is not really clear from the pictures, but is that going to be a water filled intercooler tank?

If so I would wonder what would happen to those hold down brackets in a 5G impact?

It could get real unhealthy if a large object like that took a couple laps around the interior of the car if things went rubber side up.

I am always cautious about brackets that are configured like that (like a pull tab on a soda can) as when pulled in the right direction, they might tear away from the tank like peeling tape off of a surface. Can you loop them back to the tank so the joint cannot be pulled back or torqued and twisted off.
(or perhaps add some sort of secondary cage structure that would contain the tank if the brackets sheared).

Just a first impression from looking at the picture.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:31:00 AM by hotrod »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
That's a good observation, and yes we will have some safety tabs that connect the pipe to the inter-cooler for that reason.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
The tank itself is very rock solid in place, my first thought was that you were talking about the pipes.  The tank is set in three places, should be fine.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2007, 11:24:25 PM »
The inlet brace is finished.

We worked on the throttle and barrel valve placement.  We need to do some minor adjustments and get some more nuts, bolts and spacers to make it right.

It was time for new front runners.  The rear tires are on order.  Yes they are Goodyear.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2007, 12:12:08 AM »
The manifold is coming along slowly.  I had to do some grinding on the bottom side of the manifold to get it to seat properly.  Also it is marked for porting.

The manifold is getting close to being drilled for  injectors. 

Had to make a new bracket for the coil.  The old bracket was of a thinner plate.

The intercooler water lines were fitted and now it looks like a transformer from a sci-fi movie.

Offline GH

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »
Beautiful work Troy. Are you going to add some tie bars at all your charge tubing connections? We are planning on going to the World Finals, hope to see you there.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »
GH, we are planning to go to the World of Speed not the finals.  If for some reason we don't make WOS we will probably go to the finals. 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2007, 09:35:46 PM »
Great work guys!!! I can't wait to see the car in person.

You going to have 1 set of injectors or 2 sets.  35 lbs. of boost on that motor is going to require a lot of fuel.

What welder are you using??  I'm looking to buy a tig and I'm open to suggestions.

c ya,

Sum

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »
Sumner, we are just running one set of injectors.  They make them big enough for our application.  Here is a picture of the Lincoln wire feed welder that we have.  It is a 220 hook up, my dad sometime wishes he got the 120 because of the outlet that needs to be used. 

Working on our new push bar for the truck.  First steps.

The aluminum that will do the pushing.  I need to round off the corners and bevel the edges.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:55:19 PM by bvillercr »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2007, 11:43:23 PM »
Sumner, we are just running one set of injectors.  They make them big enough for our application.  Here is a picture of the Lincoln wire feed welder that we have.  It is a 220 hook up, my dad sometime wishes he got the 120 because of the outlet that needs to be used................

Thanks, I didn't know if you were using a TIG for some of your fabrication.  I have a Miller mig about the same as your Lincoln.  Be glad you have the 220.  The 120's are nice to have, but the penetration can be suspect on some weld situations.

Look forward to more build pictures,

Sum