Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897596 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
I really hope you can get it together and run this year. I am notorious for waiting till the last minute to get a project done but feel I work better under the pressure and would not have it any other way....looks like you likely fall into that category as well.

Keep the pics and updates coming.

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2007, 11:05:03 PM »
Some good news, we got our blower, heads and fuel pump cover back today.  I was unable to work on the car today, but I was told the blower inlet and impeller look massive and impressive compared to our old ones.  I will post some new pictures on Wednesday evening. 

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2007, 11:51:31 PM »
Some good news, we got our blower, heads and fuel pump cover back today.  I was unable to work on the car today, but I was told the blower inlet and impeller look massive and impressive compared to our old ones.  I will post some new pictures on Wednesday evening. 

I am enjoying watching your build, I hope you guys make it I would love to see you run! So which one are you in the pic so I can say hello if I see you in Bonneville?

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
I am the son, my dad is John or you may occasionally see jl222 on the message board.  It would be great to meet you and I hope to see you run as well.  Everyone is welcome to stop by our pits anytime, we welcome people to say hi and look at the car.  It is still amateur racing and we like to keep that atmosphere in our pits.  Good luck to ya.  Troy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:31:03 AM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2007, 02:13:19 AM »
Finished a few things today.  The push bar on the car got its final grind on the welds, the inner-cooler tank is back in the car and the dash board has been painted.  Here are some pictures of the tank and our new blower.

The inner-cooler tank all bolted in.

Our blower is huge.

This an impeller off of our old Vortech, from many years ago.  The Vortech put out 1700 cfm, our new Procharger puts out 4000.

Here's a picture with the case off.  The impeller is impressive.

The gear case is much bigger than our old Procharger. 

The old blowers are off.

The new blower getting sized up for a temporary fit.  It needs to be modified which will happen Thursday.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:49:44 AM by bvillercr »

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2007, 09:32:25 PM »
Holee Shee that in a big unit you have there!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2007, 10:11:06 PM »
Still have the stickers on the car.

This last piston was one reason our record in 03 was so soft.  The valve end broke and was getting tossed around on top of this piston all before the first timed mile.

Great taste in decals, troy.  Those are good for an extra 25 MPH :wink:

Looks like your piston has a built-in burst panel...are you sure Warner didn't do that in post-record tech?

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

dwarner

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2007, 10:52:15 PM »
I have been known to be heavy handed with my cert tools.

DW

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2007, 12:49:06 AM »
Things should start to come together pretty quickly now.  This is our inner-cooler pump, mounted it today.  It is supposed to pump 55 gpm, so on a typical Bonneville run it should cycle our tank a few times. 

Drilled all of our holes for the dry sump support bracket.  Need to get it welded up and fitted.

The engine is all timed and ready for all of the other parts.

We also had to get the blower in a close proximity on its brace so we could get a belt tooth count so we can call and see if there is a belt size available.  Will keep you all updated.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
Hit some snags on the A motor that put us a little behind.  If we make Bonneville we might be running the AA motor, we will find out sometime today if the A motor will be used or not. 

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2007, 11:08:43 AM »
We will be running the A motor, and bonneville is going to be close.  We tried using our pushrods from our AA motor and they were too long.  Our new cam is bigger in diameter so the push rods would not work.  They will be here soon.  Still plenty to do until they come.  The motor will go in on saturday, if not we will be late getting to bonneville.  My home internet modem went out so I can't post pictures at this time.  We are still trying, got home late last night and will be doing the same all week. 

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
Yesterday we had to dial indicate the bell-housing to the block and put in pins to keep it from moving.  Of course it took longer than expected!  Today we expect to put the flywheel, clutch, bell-housing, starter, and oil pump on the block and then put the engine in the car(finally)!  I have lots of pictures that I will post on Friday when my internet gets back on line. 

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2007, 04:21:49 AM »
Engine is finally in the car!!!  I would never guess that all the new components that we have that it would be such a mess.  The gremlins come out at night after we finish and steal all of our nuts and bolts, or things that we need but can't find.  Mod after mod, or should I say altered.  After all that is the class we run.  Every little thing has been a small but time consuming problem.  Take for example the starter, you would think that it would just bolt on.  Nnnoooo, we had to shave the side of the block and the support bracket in order for it to have the right engagement and play.  Yeah just venting whewwwwww.  Today is another day.  Pictures soon I promise.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2007, 08:40:18 AM »
Looking forward to the pics!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2007, 11:54:17 PM »
Ok my computers is up again so here are some pictures to bring the car up to date.

Some good reading material for every situation of car racing.

The questioned was asked by isiahstites about why the cam was copper, here's the answer.

My dad got a candid of me torquing the heads down.

Heads are now on.

The front engine mount is on.

A candid of my dad next to the elephant.

Picture of our three disc clutch.

Me putting the bolts in the front engine mount.

Engine is in the car.

The blower plate is in.

Blower is mocked up with the belt on it.

different view

Still lots to do, it's gonna be a long weekend!