Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1898126 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2535 on: June 14, 2020, 12:04:58 AM »

We installed the tires and pushing it over to the hoist realized we didn't check the circumference. Dang!

After maneuvering back and forth got her on the hoist drained the oil took off the tires and checked the
circumference. One was about 3/8 in bigger around, after adjusting air pressure up and down we could match
them but we didn't like the pressure difference so we blew up the shortest tire about 20 lbs more to see if it would stretch, let the air down, set equal pressures and that got them to match.

Also installed new blow off valve. It came plumed ready to screw into trans. Hey, it was plumed different than the old one? Looking at the other valves on the other 2 trans ,they were plumed right. Now we know why it was slow shifting.  $hit happens :roll:

JL222

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:08:01 AM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2536 on: June 15, 2020, 09:28:23 PM »
  Noticed cracks in front 2283 tires. Ordered new ones today #change to 2953 after compound change.

Coming from Ohio, Vegas only had one. Be here next week instead of 2 days.

One front tire cost more than two backs.

JL222
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:36:18 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2537 on: June 21, 2020, 11:50:46 AM »
 Checking cyl pressure Sat 4 0r 5 cyls only had 50 lbs :? So we squired oil in the cyls and they came up but not much. Let's fire it up before tearing it down and see if pressure changes. That worked, from 50 lbs to 120
avg  :-D T That was a big relief :-P
 Set the valves, just a few thou loose on most, some not changed.

Need new batteries and few minor things and good to go. Waiting on front tires delivery from Ohio.

jl222   

Offline jl222

« Reply #2538 on: June 24, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »

Front tires arrived Monday. 7 days from Ohio, not bad. Mounted yesterday, installed today after adding
 GangNails fuse it glue to clip on weights.

Aso worked on template to keep out salt from front of door as it's now open and gets packed with salt and dust from El Mirage, After 4 templates, fits pretty good, and template fits close on other side.
 Started getting to warm so tomorrow morning,

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2539 on: June 25, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
  finished the left side cardboard template this morning, went faster because left side template was close to fitting. Cutting the tin to fit Sunday when Troy can make it out. Sat going to be 103 Sunday 91

The new hoist made things easy. Just lift to just the right height instead of being on knees and up and down.

Also put black plastic garbage bags over front tires, supposed to cut down ozone and help to prolong life.

JL222
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:15:07 PM by jl222 »

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #2540 on: June 26, 2020, 02:12:20 AM »
Haven't seen any pics here for a while.

Re the garbage bags. I think that's a good call.... I was advised to use cling film (glad wrap): I did not on my Goodyear Frontrunner on the rear which I received about 4 months ago.

After only a few months the one on a rim, inflated to around 40psi, is showing very slight hairlines on the side wall and tread area. That shocked me. Looks like the Burt Munro boot polish trick for this boy  :roll:

My front tires just arrived (Goodyear LSRs) and I will be off to the supermarket to buy a bunch of cling film!
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2541 on: June 26, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Haven't seen any pics here for a while.

Re the garbage bags. I think that's a good call.... I was advised to use cling film (glad wrap): I did not on my Goodyear Frontrunner on the rear which I received about 4 months ago.

After only a few months the one on a rim, inflated to around 40psi, is showing very slight hairlines on the side wall and tread area. That shocked me. Looks like the Burt Munro boot polish trick for this boy  :roll:

My front tires just arrived (Goodyear LSRs) and I will be off to the supermarket to buy a bunch of cling film!

Troy has trouble posting pics here. But maybe he can do the Slim deal.
  Will take pics Sun and see what happens.
  Troy has no problems posting pics on facebook.

JL222

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2542 on: June 26, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »
I made a deal with Mark Zuckerberg -- he gets the software that makes it easy to load photos, and I won't try to have landracing.com compete with Facebook.  I went easy on him.

Yes, sure - email the pics to me and I'll get 'em up there for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #2543 on: June 30, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
  We installed the right side salt-dust shield, always takes longer than expected and Troy made fiberglass
repairs on rear lower body in front and back of tire.

took a few pics and should be posted soon.

JL222

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:35:47 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2544 on: July 05, 2020, 10:39:00 PM »

I installed the left side salt/dust shield and siliconed the gap earlier this week.

Troy did some more finish up fiberglass work today, a little more Wed, and we painted the shields.

Almost ready for Bville :-D

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2545 on: July 14, 2020, 09:47:36 PM »

New gel type batteries today with higher cranking amps.

And we sprayed flex shield over tin that's under car and behind rear end. We had a problem with erosion in that area so after a good cleaning we sprayed on two thin coats with more later.

Just waiting to get fire bottles recertified and were ready for Bville.

jl222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2546 on: July 16, 2020, 07:52:05 PM »
I went over to Label Masters and ordered some special labeling for the front end.  Once installed we will let everyone know what it says or maybe have slim post a photo.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2547 on: July 20, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »

Off the hoist and on the ground. Checked that front end still fit after installing salt shields [ it did ] :-D

Torqued the wheels, put car on jack stands and installed new weather stripping on doors, sponged off all the inside and did touch up painting. New weather striping,salt/dust shields, and air intake in windshield should help Troy's vision at El Mirage.

Just waiting on fire bottles and picking up new air bottle today.

Backing in car trailer, loading what we can next weekend. Waiting to load car as tires leak air and pain to refill in trailer.

JL222 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2548 on: July 20, 2020, 06:07:34 PM »
John ?

Let's see your new cabin air intake . . .

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #2549 on: July 20, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »
John ?

Let's see your new cabin air intake . . .

Stan

Troy can send Slim foto next weekend.

I cut the handle and bottom off a 1/2 cup stainless steel measuring cup, cut hole in windshield on lower left driver side  to fit and glued it in. Don't need all that air at Bville so we'll tape it shut.

JL222
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:24:59 PM by jl222 »