Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897475 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2505 on: August 07, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
We try to give you all of our detailed information about our build good or bad as often as we can.  We have been thrashing the last two weeks with very positive results.

Update:

We decided to get new shoes and rims for the trailer so we wouldn't have any problems towing to Bonneville.

All cleaned up, the front end paint job looks great with a freshly washed car.  Lol

All loaded up and heading to Bonneville now!

When we get to the salt we need to go over the car and check for loose bolts, change out one water gauge and a couple electronic push buttons.  Torque one head and set the lash and we will be ready to race!

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #2506 on: August 07, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »
Congrats on the thrash! I'm still in the middle of mine. See you there!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2507 on: August 07, 2019, 03:17:14 PM »
This was our last dyno pull on Monday.  We didn't know we were going to make one that day.  The shop was having difficulty getting the data logger to record and while they were waiting on tech support I got in touch with Scott Clark who eventually ended up doing a remote check and tune adjustment.  So after everything checked out Steve at AMS wanted to make another dyno hit.  The video is just over a minute, I had do warm the engine, trans and rear end up a little before the I could mash the throttle.  As Steve walks away from the car the engine is at 3k and I take it 7k rear quick.  Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/QEcEtaNQdS8

Offline jl222

« Reply #2508 on: August 22, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »
 After waiting in line for a full day and watching Speed Demon make 2 passes we left the car inline and were 66th in line. Watching several cars spin or abort, I now no why for sure. Hey I had to try it. I got to the right side of the course, already lined up there, and was told nobody was going within 30 ft of the markers. Took off, light on throttle short shifted into 3rd but track was bumpy and loose, car had mind of its own hit a 3/4 mile foam marker got back on course and shut down. 92mph :-D

Also after BNI moving all the courses there was no blue line on right side of course.

Several cars did not even try. Smart move.

No trailer flats this year and no Tequila left :cheers:

JL222

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:07:51 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2509 on: September 02, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
This was our last dyno pull on Monday.  We didn't know we were going to make one that day.  The shop was having difficulty getting the data logger to record and while they were waiting on tech support I got in touch with Scott Clark who eventually ended up doing a remote check and tune adjustment.  So after everything checked out Steve at AMS wanted to make another dyno hit.  The video is just over a minute, I had do warm the engine, trans and rear end up a little before the I could mash the throttle.  As Steve walks away from the car the engine is at 3k and I take it 7k rear quick.  Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/QEcEtaNQdS8

After figuring out that data logger was set up to automatically record every startup, we booted the dyno run above up. Went from  3200 rpm to 7000 and no boost to 34.8 psi in one second.

Troy got off the throttle at 7000.

jl222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2510 on: October 02, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »

We usually don't run El Mirage in October because it's only a one day meet but the way the weather has been it could rain out the Nov meet.

Ordered new Simson seat belts but attachmeht with adjuster at floorboard was to short to go
thru seat holes. So ordered from Shroud, looks OK.

We want to sipe our Goodyear D2291 tires for El Mirage to get more traction But want new ones to make sure we have Bville tires.
 Then panic attack, our 300 mph Goodyear D2291 tires were no longer listed under Land speed tires :-o But a call to Goodyear informed me that it had been replaced with #D2932 same rating.
 Ordered 2 today  $235  :-D

JL222   

Offline jl222

« Reply #2511 on: October 10, 2019, 12:21:56 AM »
 Not making OCT meet.

The tires we were going to sipe had always lost pressure after a few hrs and we had to put
more pressure in one to make the circumference the same. So we blew up the smaller tire with a bunch more pressure to stretch it out. Then it really leaked.

So we mounted the new tires BUT they were wobbling on the balance mahine so much the operator called me over to have a look.

Mounted tires on car back at shop, set up a dial indicator on tires and one was .110 thou out and the other .70 and took videos

Called Carroll Shelby tires , Goodyear dealer in Vegas, said it happens sometimes. Sending new ones but from Ohio.

No BS and no charge but getting here to late

JL222
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:23:54 AM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2512 on: October 20, 2019, 07:52:56 PM »

Replacement tires arrived Thur and mounted and balanced Friday

The guy said he would come and get me when balancing but after waiting a long time I stepped outside and they were already done, never came and got me. Balancer said they looked fine.
    We'll put them on the race car tomorrow and spin them under power to check.

Then start siping for traction for Nov El Mirage

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2513 on: October 28, 2019, 05:32:36 PM »
 Installed tires on car and still have a wobble but better than first set, gheez.

We went ahead and siped them. Troy did, i did some needed cleaning on shop counter.
 We added two more sipe cuts around the tire which gives us 7 instead of 5 and makes it much more
blocky.
 Troy has pics just has to post them.

we have also made adjustment on the 4 link and soffend the rear shock for (hopefully) more traction.

Were all ready for Nov El Mirage except for a new water temp gage coming tomorrow.

JL222
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:35:47 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2514 on: November 02, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »

New gage in, car in trailer all washed up and truck loaded.

All set to for El Mirage next weekend.

Troy has pics but trouble loading on Utube.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2515 on: November 12, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »

The Good Bad & Ugly

The good after push start to about 25 mph 1st gear shift 5585 rpm 1.6 sec 100 mph

2nd gear shift @ 6814 rpm 7.5 sec 172.3 rpm

3rd gear max rpm 5904 12.5 sec 201 mph then loose track until shift into 4th gear and still loose

Timed at 179 mph

That 172 mph speed beats our previous 170 speed by 3 sec,  Our 4 link,shock and spoiler mods
 worked.

The Bad. As usual the track goes away and we can't hook up.

Dust inside so bad Troy couldn't see very well.

The Ugly.  Never seen the dust so thick on the back of the car which could have been from the groveing on the tires but the engine had the most dust I've ever seen.

The weather was beautiful no wind and guessing 70 to 75 deg

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2516 on: November 13, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »
After replacing all the door and hatch "gaskets", even taping the doors and hatch shut, here's how Steve Batchelor solved the dust problem . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #2517 on: November 13, 2019, 05:03:22 PM »
After replacing all the door and hatch "gaskets", even taping the doors and hatch shut, here's how Steve Batchelor solved the dust problem . . .

Thanks... I knew Steve had a problem with dust and fixed it with  some type of scoop and i wanted to
do the same. thanks again. Hey you reading my mind :-D

JL222

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #2518 on: November 14, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
Hey, another Good thing - all engine parts stayed where they were supposed to!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline jl222

« Reply #2519 on: November 17, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »

The Good Bad & Ugly

The good after push start to about 25 mph 1st gear shift 5585 rpm 1.6 sec 100 mph

2nd gear shift @ 6814 rpm 7.5 sec 172.3 rpm

3rd gear max rpm 5904 12.5 sec 201 mph then loose track until shift into 4th gear and still loose

Timed at 179 mph

That 172 mph speed beats our previous 170 speed by 3 sec,  Our 4 link,shock and spoiler mods
 worked.

The Bad. As usual the track goes away and we can't hook up.

Dust inside so bad Troy couldn't see very well.

The Ugly.  Never seen the dust so thick on the back of the car which could have been from the groveing on the tires but the engine had the most dust I've ever seen.

The weather was beautiful no wind and guessing 70 to 75 deg

JL222
[/quote

Upon further review :-P

Troy and I were going over saturdays data log I said you should shift to 4th when you get loose.I thought he was in third gear until shifting near the end. Troy said I did shift into 4th right after 3rd he said it [transmission] was slow shifting not that he was slow shifting into high.

So data log shows a steady climb to 5426 rpm in 4th gear and 238=240 mph after backing off with
10 sec to finish line.

If we ever can hook up to the end  :-o

JL222