Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897712 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2430 on: March 19, 2019, 02:11:58 AM »

Troy painted the engine bay and trans covers Sat and i worked on a timing pointer and polishing fuel rails.

Met with Steve Moody today going over EFI stuff . need to order 160 lb injectors, an injector driver module,and make up
a couple of injector looms.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2431 on: March 28, 2019, 03:25:25 AM »

Engine was ready to go yesterday, new painted dash with ECU mounted and installed. All we needed to do was adjust a few fingers on the clutch mount the bellhousing and starter and install the first unit of the Owens trans. Yeah right :roll:

The clutch fingers require a 1/4 in gap between the fingers and hat. we would set the gap but it would get closer with
final tightening pain in ass. finally got fingers set, bell housing on and starter adjusted.

But the trans would not slide into all three clutch disk  :?  I had purchased a clutch alignment tool for inserting into flywheel and the three disk before tightening the clutch. Work great slid in and out no problem, But trans would not go in. So we took out the input shaft on the Owens [ like we usually did but a pain because we have to take the hydraulic
throwout apart] did that and input shaft would not slide in. :x

Bellhousing and starter need to come back off clutch loosened, Owens input shaft inserted and clutch tighten .

JL222

PS troy applied Dawn dishwashing soap to inside sidewalls of our FAT tires to stop slow air leaks. Hope it works it's
supposed to.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2432 on: March 28, 2019, 01:33:40 PM »
" PS troy applied Dawn dishwashing soap to inside sidewalls of our FAT tires to stop slow air leaks. Hope it works it's
supposed to."

If not, try TireJect. It is NOT green slime but rather a watery fluid that finds its way to small leaks and seals them. Clean up is easy, even when it comes to changing a tire. I use it on my autos and will seal my front LSR tires with it too (small leaks at the two wheel halves).

John

Offline jl222

« Reply #2433 on: March 28, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
" PS troy applied Dawn dishwashing soap to inside sidewalls of our FAT tires to stop slow air leaks. Hope it works it's
supposed to."

If not, try TireJect. It is NOT green slime but rather a watery fluid that finds its way to small leaks and seals them. Clean up is easy, even when it comes to changing a tire. I use it on my autos and will seal my front LSR tires with it too (small leaks at the two wheel halves).

John

Thanks John  :-)  Were do you buy it?  We still need to seal our tires that we use  at El Mirage.

Clutch and disk are aligned, bellhousing ,starter, and trans on and engine is IN,  :-D

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2434 on: March 29, 2019, 04:24:02 AM »
supposed to."

John

Thanks John  :-)  Were do you buy it?  We still need to seal our tires that we use  at El Mirage.

Clutch and disk are aligned, bellhousing ,starter, and trans on and engine is IN,  :-D

JL222

found it on the the internet  :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2435 on: March 30, 2019, 11:19:07 PM »
Sorry I'm a little behind on the photos.  I'll try and catch up here.

120lb injectors on the bottom and 160s on top.

More fresh paint and we mounted our new Holley Dominator EFI.

Clutch installed and adjusting the fingers, what a pain!!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2436 on: March 30, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »
Bell housing and first trans mission is on an now the motor is ready to go in.

Oil and water lines attached.

We need to pair up the TPS from the Dominator to the connector of the FAST so we had to do some splicing.

Liquid tape first then electrical tape on each individual and more over the bundle.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2437 on: March 30, 2019, 11:49:05 PM »
We had to take the first transmission off today because we had a leak in the hydraulic clutch.  I don't think this O-Ring looks right :-o

We installed the new shaft that connects the crank to the Procharger.  Now we just need to take the whole blower assembly to Brad Bosworth to weld the blower hub to the end of the shaft.

These dirty headers are in need of a serious cleaning and redcoat.  Going to be dropped off to Caps for a little make up.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:51:06 PM by bvillercr »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2438 on: April 07, 2019, 02:33:22 AM »

Throwout bearing is repaired and ist trans installed after a battle but finally got her in then bolted up the other two trans with overdrive and the driveshaft installed.

Blower hub welded tomorrow. Then back to shop and blower assembly installed. [hope so] :-)

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2439 on: April 07, 2019, 09:10:55 PM »
Photos of today's progress.

The blower plate resting on Brad Bosworths' welding table.

Blower plate installed quicker than normal.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2440 on: April 09, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »

Headers look really good, ceramic chrome coat. Just waiting on 90 tooth pulley from RCD and engine is finished :-)

Next EFI hook up.

JL22

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2441 on: April 14, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »
Today we got a few things done.  We got the ballistic blankets over the transmissions so tomorrow we will button up the tunnel covers.

We cleaned up the blower tubes and will install those tomorrow as well.  We got our headers back and they look great!

Offline jl222

« Reply #2442 on: April 14, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »

The best news is I got reservations at the Nugget hotel for Speed Week :cheers: No camping at the bend :-)

I was complaining to Troy that i could never talk directly with the hotels, always through Expedia ECT, Did i try the hotel numbers in the rule book? No duh. Tried them got reservations..

Most fuel lines and blower tubes cleaned and installed today just waiting for a blower pulley and  some wiring hook up for the other two.

JL222

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2443 on: April 14, 2019, 09:30:59 PM »
supposed to."

John

JL222

found it on the the internet  :cheers:

Yep, that is where I got mine.

John

Offline jl222

« Reply #2444 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:30 AM »

The best news is I got reservations at the Nugget hotel for Speed Week :cheers: No camping at the bend :-)

I was complaining to Troy that i could never talk directly with the hotels, always through Expedia ECT, Did i try the hotel numbers in the rule book? No duh. Tried them got reservations..

Most fuel lines and blower tubes cleaned and installed today just waiting for a blower pulley and  some wiring hook up for the other two.

JL222

Also trans covers were installed and a little touch up paint.
 Checked that transmissions were shifting [triggered by 3 toggle switches on steering wheel]

JL222