Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897394 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2220 on: August 12, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
Our new XFI should be here in Wendover this afternoon.  We will give you a call Paul once we have the part. 

Offline GH

« Reply #2221 on: August 13, 2016, 12:26:09 AM »
Did you guys make it to the salt today? If so, where are you pitted?

gkabbt

« Reply #2222 on: August 13, 2016, 02:45:41 AM »

GH, They did make it here and are pitted next to the Got Salt folks. I'd guess a little passed half way the pits on the front row. I've been meaning to stop by and introduce myself but just have not made it there yet. I will get by there today.

Gregg

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2223 on: August 16, 2016, 12:42:28 PM »
We made a pass yesterday and was way to rich and pulled off the course.  In line now and should run again in about an hour and a half.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2224 on: August 20, 2016, 03:07:11 PM »

Positives first :-D Our EFI was having problems and Paul Powell [super EFI turner, wizard] traced the problem to corroded
weather pack pins. Then eventually tuned the car to the power we were used to or more and offered to help in the future.
  2nd.. We didn't blow any tires on the trailer, 3 last time at Bvill, the axel changes worked.
  We did have a big ass banging tire splitting cord busting blow out on tire mounted on front of trailer. Scared the hell ot of
everyone, sounded like a big rifle. Checked another spare in the trailer and it had a 11/2 in piece of rubber blown out.
 What the heck :-o All our tires say #80 lbs at max load rating which we filled before leaving with air hose gauge.
 Our race gauge only goes to 60 lbs, bowered a gauge that went to 120 lbs from ThunderSalt and checked the tires on trailer
 95 lbs truck 100 lbs :-o Shop air gauge way off. maybe there is such a thing as Guarding Angles, Not good having front tire
blow out on truck.

After fixing the corrosion problem we had the 294 mph tune in the EFI, way to rich, course very bumpy, turned out.
  Paul leaned it but didn't want to get to lean, still to rich turned out. Course way to bumpy and shacking every thing in car.
  Felt like a broken rod.
  Paul puts in his personal tune up and we brake dyno it [ on  jack stands, step hard on brake and  full throttle it ] 1st time
 a little lazy, Paul adjust EFI [this takes seconds] try again, better. adjust, better, adjust WOW.
  Short course this time 1st gear 30% throttle loose, bumpy, eyes double vision but better than long course, 2nd gear same deal loose and squirrely. 3rd gear plenty of power got up to 40% Throttle but felt I could spin at any time so shifted into high
gear,revs to low fouled a plug but I stayed on throttle hoping it would clear up it slowly picked up but still squirrely had a 204
or something 21/4 and spun before the 3 at a tack indicated 228 mph stayed on ground but right side front end got damaged
from car getting up on suspension when sideways, left side went into droop so much the spring holder was on top of spring instead of centered. We could have repaired front end but I had enough of rough courses.
  The BNI did the best they could do with the thin salt they had. They couldn't use the heavy railroad track to drag as the salt was so thin, so they used lighter drags. Fast Freddy was out there dragging every night and said the salt was just to dry and needed a little rain to bond.

JL222 

gkabbt

« Reply #2225 on: August 20, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »

I'm the one that gave Paul's business card to Troy and will agree 100% about Paul being the super EFI turner, wizard.
I live about 10 miles from him and have been at his shop MANY times and seen him work his tuning magic on customers cars. I can say that I really feel sorry for his dyno!  :-D  :-D

Gregg 

Offline jl222

« Reply #2226 on: August 24, 2016, 02:03:37 AM »

Looking back at my desert racing days I'm wondering if my shocks didn't pump down from the multible bumps in a row
resulting in solid  suspension, it felt like it.
 For those wondering what shock pump down is, its the shock compressing more than the springs can rebound resulting in the shock being compressed to the bottom of its travel and becoming like a solid suspension.
 This can happen in motorcycle racing when there's to much dampening and not enough rebound over several bumps resulting
in a get off.

jl222

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2227 on: August 24, 2016, 02:09:50 AM »
John, my first thought was that you may have had the shocks dialled in too firm but I like your theory better. I makes a lot of sense. Hopefully the course will continue to recover and further efforts can be made to fully restore the surface for future events.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2228 on: August 24, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »
"Pumping down" a bike's shocks causes the fork to (in effect) get shorter, and that changes the steering geometry, and that can end up with headshake.  It's common -- Nancy and I both have found the fun of an impending tank/slammer on the Ice Breaker bike - headshake that started about a buck-sixty on our bike.  And how do you get the front to relax and get back to "normal" length?  Just what you instinctively want to do at speed -- gas it!  WFO!  Take some weight off the front for a couple of seconds, let it stretch back to normal, and handling returns.

Yeah, pin it while going fast on the salt and the front starts to shake.  Just what I know I'd want to do! :roll:

On a car -- at least maybe you'd get some ride quality back... :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2229 on: August 24, 2016, 11:44:24 AM »
Hmmm me thinks I like my solid more and more---it seems to act like SSS says gas it more to smooth out the ride!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #2230 on: August 24, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »
Hmmm me thinks I like my solid more and more---it seems to act like SSS says gas it more to smooth out the ride!!

Yeah..   gas it more, spin the wheels and loose control.

Nobody should have turned out or gone home just gas it :roll:

JL222

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2231 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »
Twist hard on the throttle -- on a bike.  I wasn't talking about four-wheelers, although I guess you're right -- there's a chance of breaking loose the back end.  But on a bike, at least, what're you gonna do -- lose the front end for good or maybe unload it just long enough to get it back?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #2232 on: August 24, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »
Twist hard on the throttle -- on a bike.  I wasn't talking about four-wheelers, although I guess you're right -- there's a chance of breaking loose the back end.  But on a bike, at least, what're you gonna do -- lose the front end for good or maybe unload it just long enough to get it back?

Yeah  bikes are different, I was being sarcastic about Sparkys post not yours :-D

Desert racing is different, if the shocks pump down you have to slow down in the whoops until they recover or eat it.

Shock pump down and bottoming was a problem we had a half a lifetime ago with 6'' of travel, not as much when 10'' or more came out

If you look close at Evil Knievel's videos, his shocks bottom out and off he goes.

JL222
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:33:25 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2233 on: August 24, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »
John, my first thought was that you may have had the shocks dialled in too firm but I like your theory better. I makes a lot of sense. Hopefully the course will continue to recover and further efforts can be made to fully restore the surface for future events.

Pete

Hi Pete... The frustrating thing is that I spent a small fortune [ well almost :-P] on Alston adjustable shocks and springs.
 At the Mojave mile the springs would sag out, screwing up our ground clearance, adjust coil overs, run, sag again, and again.
who knows were they were made? Besides that, the softest adjustment on the shocks was so hard we couldn't even move the
rear of the car when two of us were pushing down on the bumper.
 So back with the original Koni shocks and springs. That have worked great in the past and we ran them last week.
 We once ran a Bville course that had several potholes in it from rain and didn't even feel them.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2234 on: September 04, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
Time to work on the car again, hmm where should we start? :-P