Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1893044 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2055 on: July 28, 2014, 01:50:41 PM »
John,
Any thoughts of going to the dyno before you go to the salt? (As if you don't have enough to do!)

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2056 on: July 29, 2014, 02:22:32 AM »
John,
Any thoughts of going to the dyno before you go to the salt? (As if you don't have enough to do!)

Rex

We feel we have a good tune, so no need for dyno. Also the Fast EFI does a good job recording air fuel ratio, timing, blower air temp, ECT. Would like to be able to make a short run for a few seconds at full throttle to check tune. Depends on course conditions but hoping added angled 2 in. aluminum plate at rear of spoiler will help traction.

Blower mounted and plate shimmed for easy slide for Greek coupler blower drive, fuel, oil lines, gas lines blower tubes and throttle body all hooked up.

Went to charge batteries and they were gone :-o Oh yeah put them in the truck :roll:

Batteries, gas, oil, distributor and a check list of stuff and we should fire up tomorrow.

JL222

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2057 on: July 29, 2014, 06:52:00 AM »
Have faith, you'll do great.

Have batteries will travel. :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2058 on: July 29, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »
My photobucket was down for a while, got it running again.

Here's a few photos of our progress.

Short block completed.

We broke two rocker stands the last time we blew!  Time to replace them.

Ofcourse when you order head gaskets they are never just perfect.  We had to resize for our head studs.

Heads installed.

Motor complete.

We had to get the bolt pattern correct for the header studs so we put the zombies on to make sure where they all go.  Looks like a alien drone.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2059 on: July 29, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »
My youngest daughter was recruited to help us with the car. :-D

Like always we find something that needs fixing.  A few bolts were loose and one stripped on our bottom crank pulley. 

Engine installed with JC (Boost) looking on.

Tranny is complete minus the ballistic blankets on two.

Blower plate, pipes, oil and fuel lines all installed.  Today we put the distributor and all necessary accessories to start the motor together.  She will fire today! :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #2060 on: July 30, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »

Fired right up, timing was right on, BUT gas line leak, fixed it, Then water leaking out of head :roll: SO heads have to come off, got intake off and will take off heads later today.

blower crank pulley bent and belt dust on ground after firing. Knew it was a problem and is a special built 88 tooth pulley, RCD made it and is checking on how long to make but bumping us up on production
line. Calling them next.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2061 on: July 31, 2014, 01:55:43 AM »

Heads are off, cleaned up and ready to go back on tomorrow. Found out silicon from gasket company may have been one of the problems. Not talking about other :roll:

RCD putting us ahead on production line for pulley and hope to have it by next Tuesday as were leaving for Bville Wed, If not will ship to Wendover.

Had new seat belts but checking them out yesterday the mounting hardware was only 2 in. wide for 3 in. belt, called summit in Reno Nevada late yesterday afternoon for different belts and they came today
here in Clovis :-o

JL222

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2062 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
JL22;

Did you put silicone rubber RTV on your head gasket? The instructions for the ones that I've used in the past said not to use any sealant on the head gasket.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jl222

« Reply #2063 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
JL22;

Did you put silicone rubber RTV on your head gasket? The instructions for the ones that I've used in the past said not to use any sealant on the head gasket.

Yeah Neil, we silicone around all water holes and small oil supply hole on block then on top of gasket, always have. Water leak was where we didn't silicone. there is a water hole in the head for water supply from stock style water pump but no hole in KB block as we run water return through front of heads. Haven't sealed that area for years and it must seal with no silicone. But not this time :roll:
 Clark sent silicone with gaskets, but we like the Hi Temp RTV we have been using. Anyhow we siliconed that area. Fired it up last night and no water leaks :cheers:

JL222

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2064 on: August 01, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
JL222;

I've only used Fel-Pro so my experience must not be applicable to other types of head gaskets.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2065 on: August 01, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »
A few updates on what's going on.  Two Owens transmissions are not shifting, they will come out tomorrow and will be taken to Owens on Sunday for a refresher.  We have some minor tasks to do still but we should be all loaded up to go Monday or Tuesday and leave early Wednesday.  Wow, speed week is comming quick!   :-P

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2066 on: August 01, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
Troy, if you need anyone to stand around making smart ass comments on the salt I am going to be busy but I should be able to fit you in. Looking forward to seeing you guys. :cheers: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2067 on: August 03, 2014, 12:58:19 PM »
Goggles, we will be looking forward to seeing you. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2068 on: August 03, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
Installing transmissions now. :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2069 on: August 03, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »
Not talking about other :roll:???? :-D

Don't be shy now. :evil:

You're not the first or last. :-D :-D :-D

Go well, when you leave. Mike.