Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1908455 times)

Offline quick331coupe

• New folks
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1590 on: December 19, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »
I thought itwas an owens unit you were using but wasnt for sure. Does Scotty Owens have a website, because I cant seem to find it.  Im currently building a 08 mustang with small twin turbo powerplant and looking for trans help.  Sorry for all the questions.  What kind of clutch are you using?

Offline jl222

« Reply #1591 on: December 19, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
I thought itwas an owens unit you were using but wasnt for sure. Does Scotty Owens have a website, because I cant seem to find it.  Im currently building a 08 mustang with small twin turbo powerplant and looking for trans help.  Sorry for all the questions.  What kind of clutch are you using?

No worries on questions.

Scotty's  #  559-539-2925

Clutch and flywheel is a Hays 6 centrifugal adjustable lever 3 disk unit set up not to slip at low or high speeds.

Hays #216-688-8300

JL222

Offline quick331coupe

• New folks
« Reply #1592 on: December 20, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
Hey thanks!!!  I talked to Scotty this afternoon, and what a nice, intelligent and very easy guy to talk to!  He answered every question I had and definetly made the decision very easy to purchase a trans from him. I have to do a little more research on clutches to figure an input shaft length and get my final trans order to him.  I noticed that you are running weld draglite wheels, how are you attaching the wheel disc to them? Also your "questionable" wide rear wheels and tires, what size are they? If you want you can pm me or email me at onefstcoupe@yahoo.com.  I greatly appreciate all the help, and im sure ill meet many people i talk to here.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1593 on: December 21, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
We don't have discs on the wheels, and the rear tires are 28" and are close to 10" wide. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1594 on: December 21, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »
The front springs and shocks are installed.  Had to do some minor grinding to get them to fit.

Here are the rear shocks, Unassembled and assembled just to give a better visual of them.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1595 on: December 25, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »
Merry Christmas to all, from the Langlo racing team and family!!  Let's all have a safe and successful 2012 racing season. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #1596 on: December 28, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »

Just found out new tuneing update for our F.A.S.T. EFI is now available. More and faster self tune and its a free download :-D

Alston's Chassisworks tech also suggested shortening and raising our instant center 4 link setup

Lots of good info on shocks and settings at [Chris Alstons Chassisworks] under tech and shocks.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #1597 on: December 30, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »

Installed rear shocks today and got our suspension back to where it belongs. Old springs had collapsed to where we only had less than an inch of travel before bottoming and shocking tires :roll: Keeping track of rear  measurements now. Always did on fronts because we raised the spring pads to load car in trailer didn't think of springs sagging but they do.

Beville racer will post pics of how to compress springs [and not] :-D without spring compressor.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1598 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
We had to get our new springs compressed to get them onto the shock.  Well, we dint have a tool for that so we tried this first.

We thought we had bigger, wider and thicker zip ties but we didn't. :evil:  And they stretched and eventually broke. :-D

So we had to come up with another back yard enginuety(sp).

Doesn't look pretty but it worked. :cheers:

Shocks are now installed and adjusted fir ride height.  Tweaks to come during the race season. :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1599 on: December 31, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »
Agri-engineering at its finest.  I'd have tried a log splitter, but then I'd still be picking up my teeth.  :wink:

The only way this could have been funnier is if it HAD worked with the zip ties!

Well done.  :cheers:

A safe, happy, and FASTER new year to team Langlo.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1600 on: December 31, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »

I'd have tried a log splitter

Probably would have been safer with the log splitter. I don't think tractors are OSHA approved for compressing springs.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1601 on: December 31, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
Agri-engineering at its finest.  I'd have tried a log splitter, but then I'd still be picking up my teeth.  :wink:

The only way this could have been funnier is if it HAD worked with the zip ties!

Well done.  :cheers:

A safe, happy, and FASTER new year to team Langlo.

It was working to a point, but they would stretch too much when we let the scoop up.  The last time we tried we compressed the spring from 12" to 9 1/2 and it didn't hold.  If we had stronger zip ties I think it would have worked. :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1602 on: December 31, 2011, 09:41:06 PM »
Would I use the Masey Ferg for the rears and a FarmAll for the fronts or is it the other way around :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #1603 on: January 01, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
Those rears don't look like 200's any more :wink:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1604 on: January 01, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
John and Troy,
When you have to compress the springs just to get them on you are preloading them and then any additional adjustment to get the car level or the corner weights correct adds additional preload. When preload gets to large it makes the suspension very stiff until the preload is over come by the load which normally would very small on a Bonneville car assuming a smooth course. This can make the car feel like the springs are to stiff and if the preload is large enough you will get no suspension travel. I would think that the springs you have are to long, my preference has always been that when you jack up the car the spring will become loose on the shock and not preloaded.

Just a thought.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.