Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897601 times)

Offline revolutionary

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1560 on: August 21, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
Congrats!

BTW, thanks for taking the time to talk with Lewis and I showing us the details of your chassis. I know you didn't have to take off the front end and we really appreciate your advice is showing us what worked on your car. Like you said though, this isn't drag racing.

Hopefully we'll have the AA/BGALT reay for next year...
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1561 on: August 21, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Congrats!

BTW, thanks for taking the time to talk with Lewis and I showing us the details of your chassis. I know you didn't have to take off the front end and we really appreciate your advice is showing us what worked on your car. Like you said though, this isn't drag racing.

Hopefully we'll have the AA/BGALT reay for next year...

You and Louis, were our high light of Bonneville.  You guys cracked us up, it was great meeting the both of you too. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #1562 on: August 22, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »
We made it to impound on our first pass through the 3.  The bad news is that our windows are still flexing out some, preventing us from going farther down the course.  We went through the 2 1/4 at 256 and JL222 was backing out of the throttle because of the window, he slowed to 255 in the mile.  The data logger shows he was goin over 280 some where between the 2 1/4 and the 3.  Hopefully record return run will be better. :cheers:

Return was worse, lighting was striking and thundering as we left the line [ pretty cool] and just very few drops of rain course was not smoothly graded and traction limited. Data logger shows 1st 19% tps --2nd max 27%---3rd max 37% but backing off to 33% before shifting [225 mph] 38 sec. 4th tried 100% for 1.7 sec. backed off to max of 48% tps [51.5 sec.]
 6140 rpm = 278 mph rpm data logger shows 6400 rpm  car was loose on entire run saved it after 21/4 mile trap but got loose near end of 3 mile starting to spin, pulled chute but still spun, saw hood fly off and chute in front of car, seemed
like long slow spins, not several like 1st run.

After getting out of car I noticed bottom panels of chute were soaking wet [ as if someone poured a bucket of water on them] it must have rained on course in the three right before my run. Pulled chute near area on qualifying run the day before and it was dry.

Any how, need new front end [ needed replacement] hood-- rear bumper, [steel cables that come from inside of car that attach to chute bent and cracked the bumper] -- new tailights body work and new paint job [needed new paint anyhow] :-D
 Car looks like it has been in a Nascar race  :-o

At least the motor's good :-P

JL222

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:52:33 AM by jl222 »

Offline Geo

« Reply #1563 on: August 22, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »
Congrats on the runs!  You have worked long and hard for it.  Keep us posted on the rebuild.

Geo

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1564 on: August 22, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »
No video this year???

:cheers:  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1565 on: August 22, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »
Great to finally meet you guys, good to see you've got something to keep the sun out of your eyes, :cheers
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1566 on: August 22, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »
No video this year???

:cheers:  :cheers:

Mike

Got video of 1st spin 220-230 mph at 3/4 mile marker and hit 1 mile marker, several spins but not violent
 G-forces, dents in side of car-top and broken tailight :-D

Go-Pro was turned on inside of car on last spin but were having problems with battery time, not sure of video
but hopeful.

Bvillercr will post later this week.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1567 on: August 27, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
A little post race wrap up.  This was a successful speedweek for us, although it didn't really feel like it because of all the thrashing we had to do.  We got the record on Friday, and even then it was a challenge to get through the 3 with a wet and bumpy track.

On our first run we spun, had to get inspected and discuss why we spun with Mile Mike.  The conclusion was that our alignment was off some.  We had to do a lot of measuring, but the first indication was the string test.

We did this on both sides to check the differences, and yes there was a problem!

This was our prize for spinning and taking out the mile marker.

We displayed it with pride. :-o

Once we got the alignment problem fixed we warned the car up to go racing and a freeze plug in the head popped out!!  Well, we just can't get to the back of the head so we had to pull all of the air intake, blower tubes, manifold, and the head to fix it!  Another day gone. :evil:

We also had a problem with out lexan side widows blowing out! :roll: we spent a lot of time trying to fix this as well.

The first attempt was the single aluminum bar, that's all we had at the time and it didn't help!  The second piece of metal extended down farther and worked better.  We were hustling in impound on thursday to get this done!  A trip to the hardware store for senior and the engine valve lash for me.  We still have to modify the window better to get it to work properly.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:57:52 PM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1568 on: August 27, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
In the morning of record runs it was cloudy and looking pretty nasty with lightning in the distance.  As we inched forward the weather got a little worse, by the time it was our turn to run a big lightning strike and huge thunder clapped just above us!!!!  Man that was awesome!  What wasn't so great is that it started to sprinkle, not much but as we would find out it was enough to get the track wet. :evil:  We made it through the 3 mile at an average of 259, but our FAST indicated our top speed to be in the 280's.  Just after the 3 JL222 spun again.  At least we made it through the 3 mile with a rrecord average of 257mph.  Here are some pictures of our now soon to be replaced front end.

I am also working on one more video from the push truck, here is our first pass of the meet in which we spun. :cheers:

http://youtu.be/yUlH51jxzM8

Offline jl222

« Reply #1569 on: September 10, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »

You can tell by the way the revs come up before spin, that were not using traction control, just right foot

control. data recorder showed speed of 220-230mph [ not counting higher breakloose revs] and hitting 1st mile marker 2+ sec later.

With course conditions deteriorating that might change in the future as two of our systems have capability,

rather not though for purist reasons, but car spinning is not good.

Future plans include a front air dam and bigger Gurney flap on spoiler.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1570 on: September 24, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
We took a couple videos of our tune up on our computer and wanted to share a little data with everyone.  First video is of our record return run in 2011, and then we compare it to our 2010 qaulifing run. 

http://youtu.be/dg2DmDHkkRU

http://youtu.be/V5y06dM5Sg4

Offline Phil Veldheer Racing

« Reply #1571 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
bvillercr  and JL222   what a great build up--I just discovered this section of this site.  I was at Bonneville this year as a spectator and I too would have stopped by.  I have already built my  (future) Bonneville Racer a 99 Z-28 that we are still drag racing every weekend in Michigan.  It will run high 9's at 140 ish 1/4 miles in 2012.  Nothing as fast as yours.

The reason I am writing today is to let you know that it will take an "average" person 8 hours to read and watch everything on your build.  I had to be inside yesterday all day and sat by my daughters computer for 8 hours and I couldn't believe everything that happened.  I have six drag cars and six trailers and haven't had hardly any tire issues so I guess I am lucky.  Keep up the good work and keep us all informed.

All I want to do is go 200 mph......sounds simple...oh and if someone needs high quality lexan for any car, try www.racingshields.com  his name is Brad Shields and I talked to him at last years PRI SHOW in Orlando and he said that he made all the side roll up windows for the new Chrysler Drag cars....that is who I am going to see for my windows before I make the long tow in UTAH.

Phil
Phil Veldheer Racing
IHRA World Record Holder

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1572 on: October 02, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
Famous first words, "all I want to do is go 200mph". We have heard and said that many times. :-D :wink:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Phil Veldheer Racing

« Reply #1573 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
that's why I said  "sounds simple" 

Phil
Phil Veldheer Racing
IHRA World Record Holder

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #1574 on: October 02, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »
That might be a good fund raiser for the forum ... each time someone makes that statement they have to contribute a dollar to the website.  Slim would become independently wealthy.