Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897431 times)

Offline bvillercr

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1471 on: July 11, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
This should be the link.

http://www.jerrybickel.com/windows-and-accessories/upper-door-and-window-latches-2.html

One of the latches didn't close up against the holes in the window when latch was in closed position [like one of the links was to short] so rather than getting another one, we placed it on the anvil and gave it a couple of whacks with a hammer and punch in just the right place,  worked great :-D

Also surprised that latch does not hook around chassis loop [ its more like a notch]. We might put more of a hook
on latch.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #1472 on: July 13, 2011, 01:37:57 AM »
  Stage 5 shipped our heads Monday, U.P.S. left a note on the gate saying they needed a signature.

They have my phone # and usually call when there close but not today [Tue], DANG another lost day.

Need to check them out and send to Tuson for valve job- porting and o-ringing.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1473 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:03 AM »
We did get some things done yesterday too.  Here is a couple pictures of our second electrical shut off at the back of the car.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1474 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »

Got the Stage 5 heads yesterday the 13th, I didn't order untill July 5th, great service as that time includes
2 days shipping.
  Shipped them to Tucson today to be ported --ect. and boy do they need it, there not meant to be run without porting.
   Post pics later.

JL222

Offline Freud

« Reply #1475 on: July 14, 2011, 10:37:23 PM »
Sure feels good when something goes better than you anticipated, doesn't it?????

Yaaa for the two of you.

See you in impound.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1476 on: July 18, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Our new rod/piston combo.

First piston being installed.

This shows the curved grooves on the bottom of the rod.  All of our other rods had a straight cut, on a curve there is more surface area for strength.

All of the slugs are in, now it's rime to torque em down.

This shows that BME suggested that when torqueing the rods that a feeler gauge be put between the two rods while tightening.

Cam and ballancer is on.

This picture shows the direct of how the ballancer installer should be, flat when installing.

And curved when taking off, there are more bolts that go through this pulley system when disassembling ballancer.

Getting ready to time the cam.  We got the wheel and the lifter gauge so we know when the intake is opening.

We will get the timing done on another day.  Still plenty to do before we get our heads back from Phoenix. :cheers:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1477 on: July 18, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
Your referance to BME and the feeler gage while torquing rod bolts is a normal practice for assembling high performance engines. It saves the bearing from any damage.

I would have never thought of saying it because my dad taught me this when I was 16 doing my first engine rebuild; he just acted like it was normal.

Glad you shared it as there are many who would have never thought of doing it.....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jl222

« Reply #1478 on: July 18, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »
This latch is pretty stout but moves pretty easy.  This little video shows how well it moves.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x324/bvillercrr/6e77f1fa.mp4

We also welded the loop to the roll bar that the latch hooks onto yesterday.

We thought it might need more of a hook added but Bvillercr got inside and pushed on window and it held just fine :-D

We'll add a velcro strip further back on window for insurance :-P

BME is a little different on rod torque, first oil threads on bolt and rod, both sides of washers and bottom of rod and cap, snug up with feeler guage at parting line, then torque to 100 ft lbs one side at a time!!

JL222
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:43:53 AM by jl222 »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1479 on: July 18, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
Your referance to BME and the feeler gage while torquing rod bolts is a normal practice for assembling high performance engines. It saves the bearing from any damage.

I would have never thought of saying it because my dad taught me this when I was 16 doing my first engine rebuild; he just acted like it was normal.

Glad you shared it as there are many who would have never thought of doing it.....JD

We try to share everything we do, it's a build diary and maybe someone can learn from what we do.  We can also learn from others who respond to our build, never to old to learn. :-D

Offline GH

« Reply #1480 on: July 18, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
You guys do some fantastic work. I hope you do well this Speedweek. Above all, be safe. Is the easy chair there in one of the photos for John to rest in????

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #1481 on: July 19, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »
Who's driving this year?

Good luck boys, I look forward to seeing you run  :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #1482 on: July 19, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
Who's driving this year?

Good luck boys, I look forward to seeing you run  :cheers:

Me 1st :-D   If we set a record over 300, we might go for A fuel altered class then Bvillercr will drive, depending
on time and engine condition. Never works out that way though :-P

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1483 on: July 20, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
A little bit every day will get us ready for Bonneville!  I cleaned the soiled oil pan today, what a mess! :-o. It took a good 45 minutes to get all of the metal out of it.  The cam is timed, pan is on, electronic pickup is in position, the front plate is installed.  By the end of the week we will have the oil pump installed, the fuel pump, all of the head studs, the clutch and the bell housing.  Engine and blower system should be in the car Saturday and the tranny on Sunday.  Still need to clean all of the oil lines and tank and all of the fuel lines.  Hopefully we will get out heads at the end of next week and get those and the rest if the engine completed!  We will do all we can before the heads get here. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1484 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »
When we blew last year, we also blew oil all over the engine compartment.  Had to clean it all off before the engine goes in.

We had to do more adjustment and tinkering than we thought on the clutch and starter.  It is ready to go in today!

Hopefully we can get the rest if the trans in and the blower system in today as well. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:15:38 PM by bvillercr »