Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897493 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1425 on: April 14, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
The accumulation of parts are a little slow, but we did call Pro Glass and order 3/16 tinted windows all around.  Should be here in 10 days.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1426 on: April 14, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
Troy, I know the drag racers just pound them in and out, but I would think that would put unnecessary wear and tear on the block. When we were working on the Indy Car transmissions and uprights we'd put them in an oven and heat them to about 450 degrees if I remember correctly. The bearings would then just drop out or in without putting the wear on the castings. Is it possible to do the same thing with the sleeves?

Pete

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #1427 on: April 14, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »
A lot of diesel motors have sleevs. You usually have a puller to get them out but to re-install we pack them in dry ice and the new ones fall in. When they warm up they are solid.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline jl222

« Reply #1428 on: April 14, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
Troy, I know the drag racers just pound them in and out, but I would think that would put unnecessary wear and tear on the block. When we were working on the Indy Car transmissions and uprights we'd put them in an oven and heat them to about 450 degrees if I remember correctly. The bearings would then just drop out or in without putting the wear on the castings. Is it possible to do the same thing with the sleeves?

Pete

Yea Pete we have to heat the block to get the sleeves out,still not easy, and we put the replacements in the freezer :-D This new block has a tighter fit on the sleeves and I notice that the drag race guys have a much bigger hammer [weight] on there slide pullers than ours.Someone makes a puller that cranks them out, Sort of like an Aframe.
  The engine is already hot from the run when they replace the sleeves at the drags.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #1429 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »
Langlos..... it's so good to see u back in action. Steal a weekend and come to

Gas Up.  Last week this month.

First beverage is on me.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #1430 on: April 15, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »
Langlos..... it's so good to see u back in action. Steal a weekend and come to

Gas Up.  Last week this month.

First beverage is on me.

FREUD

It was easy to go when I lived 15 miles from there and a lot of fun, have one for me :cheers:

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1431 on: May 05, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »
Still collecting parts, windows are in and sleeves need to be ordered. :cheers:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #1432 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »
Did you guys get your rear window situation worked out? Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jl222

« Reply #1433 on: May 17, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
Did you guys get your rear window situation worked out? Tony

We have new tinted 3/16'' lexan from [Pro Glass] for all the windows but not installed yet. Front is already lexan but had a bunch of cracks on driver side from 1/8'' to 1/2'' long. All windows are molded to shape and rear is supposed to be factory sized but it measures 1/2'' short from side to side. Front and side windows are oversized
and we have to cut to our windows. The front window is larger than stock because we don't use stock trim but
to get side windows cut to shape they want us to ship our windows to them :?
  Installing new sleeves and starting on windows this week.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1434 on: May 21, 2011, 10:13:17 PM »
  A nice gathering here of speed freaks, this is my dads old car club called the Dusters.  

You may recognize a few people in this one!  Everyone here has gone over 200mph, a couple have gone over three, one has gone over 300 unofficially :-D and one will in the future.  There are three drivers/owners that are the top of their classes at Bonneville, John Langlo(far left), Seth Hammon (middle), Fred Dannenfelzer(sp) :-P(2nd from the right), Arley Langlo on the far right and he is currently building a streamliner which could go over 400.  Second from the left is Arley's brother Eddie and he was at one time running a studebacker with Arley up until the late 80's and early 90's.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1435 on: May 22, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »
Ok, we did get a few things done on the car today!!!

The sleeves are always a pain in the butt to get out!  This is how the amature racer does it. :oops:

This is what can happen to the amature racer when he forgets to move his finger out of the way.  It didn't hurt too bad. :evil:

We got them all out pretty quickly, although not Top Fuel style. :mrgreen:

We also started taking the windows out.  The drivers side window was a pain in the rear to get out!!  The front window was a little easier but just a little.  It is nice to see some of the little things that the builders of this chasis did for us.  The spacing of the front window was very well done, now we have to try to match them. :-o

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:21:01 AM by bvillercr »

Offline jl222

« Reply #1436 on: May 22, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
 A nice gathering here of speed freaks, this is my dads old car club called the Dusters.  

You may recognize a few people in this one!  Everyone here has gone over 200mph, a couple have gone over three, one has gone over 300 unofficially :-D and one will in the future.  There are three drivers/owners that are the top of their classes at Bonneville, John Langlo(far left), Seth Hammon (middle), Fred Dannenfelzer(sp) :-P(2nd from the right), Arley Langlo on the far right and he is currently building a streamliner which could go over 400.  Second from the left is Arley's brother Eddie and he was at one time running a studebacker with Arley up until the late 80's and early 90's.

A few more Bville Dusters are Lawrence Johnson and Glen Chambers currently involved and three that passed away recently
Sonny Caster, David Carroll and Dick Griffin, Dick and Dave were also  2 club members.
  The Dusters were a hot rod car club of the fifties and sixties with about 25 members at any one time. We had different club
cars that we drag raced + our own cars.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1437 on: May 30, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
Working on the windows on this day, took the passenger side window out and cutting and fitting the front window.

Today we will be installing the sleeves, on my up there in a few. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1438 on: May 31, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »
Putting in sleeves is a bit of a process for us.  Mom thought she was getting this new fridge for food?

Wrong!!  Today we needed it more, yep we put them in there to shrink the metal just a bit.

After the sleeve freeze for an hour or so, we take one out and defrost the top and bottom so we can apply just a little silicone :roll:

We heat the block up for awhile so it can expand some, and silicone the top and bottom of the cylinder at the o-ring housing.

Line up the sleeve in the correct position and hope it doesn't rotate when you smack it! :-o

Just a little mess to clean before we secure it down with a couple sockets and a nut.

A bottom view of a nicely sealed cylinders.  Damn thing better not leak this time!!! :evil:

Main caps are in and the block is now ready to go the machine shop and get bored.  Main bolts center: trq to 120, sides trq to 80

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1439 on: June 04, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
Working on the windows today, we got the deck lid off.

This picture shows the frame work that we took off the glass window and now siliconed onto the plexi window.

Front window has been custom fitted and intercooler hole cut.

Getting closer, next week we will get the spoiler mounted on the window and get it functional again.  Lot to do!! :cheers: