Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897621 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1380 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »

Looks like Rex's fingers got ahead of themselve's :-P

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1381 on: October 05, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »
I know the syndrome well. It's very similar to crossed plug wires and becomes stronger with age. :evil: :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline jl222

« Reply #1382 on: October 16, 2010, 02:59:02 PM »

I think I found part of our piston problem. After reviewing our data log there is a lean spot at partial throttle in the lower gears. Now were deciding on style of piston [much heavier top fuel type] and which rod company to use.
 Also would like to use rifle drilled rods, anybody doing that?

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1383 on: October 16, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »
yep    EDM process
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #1384 on: October 16, 2010, 08:35:22 PM »
yep    EDM process

I should have said is anybody using rifle drilled rods and how are they working out as far as cooling piston crowns and oil pressure.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1385 on: October 16, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
To take care of the piston crowns I am using piston squirtters--I was told the EDM rods were primarially for the wrist pins when using vacum pumps---I believe in using anything that can help move and/or remove the heat
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:18:16 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #1386 on: October 19, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »
 Wow guys! Sorry to see such carnage. Were those pistons coated with anything? I think the hot setup for engines like yours is a coating like JEs koolkote. Banodized is another word for it.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1387 on: October 19, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »
Wow guys! Sorry to see such carnage. Were those pistons coated with anything? I think the hot setup for engines like yours is a coating like JEs koolkote. Banodized is another word for it.

Really? Why? Would a coating have stopped this damage? If you have any insight I'd like to hear or see it.
Thanks. :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #1388 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:34 AM »

The piston skirts were coated up to ring lands and were looking to anodize the entire piston next time.

JL222

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #1389 on: October 19, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »

Really? Why? Would a coating have stopped this damage? If you have any insight I'd like to hear or see it.

Well for starters I didn't say it would have stopped the damage. It's just a pretty popular thing to do for highly boosted engines and helps resist damage from detonation. Looks like JL222 is already on it though :)   Didn't mean to offend anyone. I know some folks are anti coating and no amount of coating can prevent meltdown like that but I figured I would mention it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:01:29 PM by javajoe79 »
615-210-1605

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1390 on: October 19, 2010, 03:13:06 PM »

Well for starters I didn't say it would have stopped the damage. It's just a pretty popular thing to do for highly boosted engines and helps resist damage from detonation. Looks like JL222 is already on it though :)   Didn't mean to offend anyone. I know some folks are anti coating and no amount of coating can prevent meltdown like that but I figured I would mention it.

Easy Joe, were all just learning here. I'm not offended, and I didn't say you said  :-D. I just thought you might have some more or new info.
If we want I think there's already a coating thread someplace 'round here..........
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #1391 on: October 19, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »
Sorry. Didn't mean much by it. Just seemed like you made an assumption based on my comment. No worries.  :cheers:
615-210-1605

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1392 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »
jl- - - I definately do not abuse an engine like you do, but because the stock GMC has rifle drilled oil holes to the pins I did it in ones I had made.  Could be that GMC trucks were made to be abused pushing those trash trucks around all day.

I have always liked the top ring 3/8" down from the top and never lost a piston doing this. The oil ring was in the pin hole.

When I had new pistons made this last year the manufacturer and I went round and round over ring placement. He liked .200" and I said no way. We compromised at a number that has the oil ring above the pin hole. The oil ring land also feeds the pin and the hole in the top of the rod could do some cooling spray to the bottom of the piston since it is pressurized...not sure on that but it can't hurt. Good luck...JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jl222

« Reply #1393 on: October 19, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »

JD... surprised more racers don't do it, and trying to figure out why. to oil the rifle bore do you drill a hole in
upper rod bearing? I understand that some of the top fuel pistons have the oil ring in the middle of the pin now,
allowing for more spacing between rings. We'll be looking into that design for our new pistons but worried about
the extra weight of a top fuel piston slinging around for 5 miles.
  We might be better off going for only 3 or 4 :roll:

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1394 on: October 19, 2010, 07:18:13 PM »
yep    EDM process

I should have said is anybody using rifle drilled rods and how are they working out as far as cooling piston crowns and oil pressure.

JL222

I have never heard of rifle drilled aluminum rods for pin oiling. Has anyone? since I think that is what John uses. I know it is real popular with steel rods.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.