Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897720 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1305 on: August 25, 2010, 09:57:31 PM »
I've gotta mention something that's not on topic -- but sort of is.

Before we left Upper Michigan for Bville a couple of weeks ago I went so far as to take the pickup to a local shop, raise the truck on the hoist and spray Salt-X over and under and between and through.  For once I was going to have it done right and well.

On the three day drive to Bonnevile we ran in the rain for a few hours each and every day, which I expect rinsed off a good bit of the Salt-X.  Ah, crud.  And when we arrived on the salt on Tuesday before Speedweek it was still kind of damp here and there, so lots of salt built up.

Driving home -- nary a rainstorm.  A few sprinkles now and then, but not so much as to offer up one good puddle, much less a rinse of the hundred or so pounds of salt on the truck.

Why do some people get all the "good" weather?  We got it all backwards.  Now I'm going to have to drag out the sprinkler and the power washer ('cause the rain that we didn't get also didn't wash off all of the bugs on the front of the truck.

I now return you to your regular topic.  Rant has ended.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1306 on: August 25, 2010, 10:14:12 PM »
I could be wrong (as usual), but I think the power washer drives it in and activates it.  Okay on exposed, but crevases -- nope.  The good old sprinklers get it where it's at.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1307 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:17 AM »
I'm aware of the expressed negative potential of a power washer to "drive the salt into" crooks and nannies -- but I'm also aware that a garden sprinkler has never, ever, done a good job of getting rid of the salt for me.  I've used both -- and the power washer will do more, get rid of more, help dissolve more salt.  The salt is, remember, water-soluble, and water can get further into those little crevasses better when it's driven in by high pressure - better than when pushed at sprinkler speed.  I've not used a sprinkler for more than six or eight hours, but when I've had it going that long (moving it, turning it, etc) -- there're are still very large deposits in far too many places under the truck.

But that part of the discussion aside -- whether I use the power washer to get rid of the salt or not, I still will be using it to get rid of the road grime and bugs (as mentioned) on the surface of the truck.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GH

« Reply #1308 on: August 26, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »
I did have a small piece of good luck this trip, no rain on the way out and ran through the rain when we left Wendover Thursday morning almost all the way to Salt Lake City.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1309 on: August 26, 2010, 10:54:18 AM »
Damn Comcast, my Internet has been down so I can't post pictures or video from my phone. should be up and running tomorrow. :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #1310 on: August 26, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »
In the first run the data logger didn't get turned on, but we did get our only video.  We may have been going faster in the first run than the second.  In the video(so I've heard not seen yet) it showed that JL222 shut down before the 2 and still got a 1/4 speed of 270.  I need to collect the SD card and post it asap. :cheers:

After the 2 but before the 21/4 :-) We did run 5 mph faster on 1st run in the new 2 mile time than on the 280 21/4 and 294 3 mile run.
  It gets a bit confusing with the new 1st mile traveled to 2nd mile time, but I like having that time.

JL222

Correction on 5 mph faster on first run it was 9 mph :-o Found out today after closer look. We tuned it right down :roll:
 Actually we new it wasn't 100 % as after adjusting the valves [ no stretching this year as lash was bigger not smaller]
we took a compression test and 2 cyl were only at 50 psi but dykes rings must expand and seal up cyl to still run as well as it did.

These are the times between the 1st mile traveled and 2nd mile traveled     1st run....mile 2     [246.686]  21/4    271.818  shut off right after interring 3rd mile on 1st run.                                                        2nd run    mile2     [237.607]   21/4   280..513

Troy tried posting video from my computer but computer went off line :cry: 

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1311 on: August 27, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
The new GoPro is much clearer than my old helmet cam that I use for my dirt bike riding.  I'll post it as soon as my cable is repaired. :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #1312 on: August 27, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
MAN, I wish I could get my cable repaired.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1313 on: August 27, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »
You gotta break  it first  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #1314 on: August 28, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »
MAN, I wish I could get my cable repaired.

FREUD

Just like a government worker never works when supposed to :-)

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1315 on: August 29, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »
I have a few pictures from my phone that I can download to the site.  Seems like every other year we have issues with our trailer tires.  After losing two on the road we replaced all four and a spare, we had no choice but to spend the night in Elko and wait for the tire shop to open at seven. 

We only made two passes this year (great ones) and the vibration in the engine/car made our front window get these mini cracks in it.

A few pictures of the car on the salt, we packed up and left the next day.

I have some pictures of the storm we went thru, and I'll post them later.  Here is a picture in Tonapah after we went thru the storm.  The picture is out of the hotel window.

More pictures and video to come. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1316 on: August 29, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »
I gotta wonder what we're doing right/wrong.  We've had one tire go bad in the past ten years, and the round-trip tow is about 3,800 miles.  That one that went bad was faulty on the trailer when we bought the rig -- was a tubeless tire that the previous owner had tried to get away with putting a tube in it when it got a hole.  Eventually the tube's valve stem got snapped off and the air escaped.

But not tire trouble otherwise.  Nothing special about the tires we use-- no nitrogen fills, no covering them from the winter sun, no jacking them off the ground for the off-season.  About the only thing not standard is that we use ten ply when eight ply is spec'd -- or eight when six was called for, etc.  But that's it.

Good for us -- and I guess I'm saying that I'm not going to ask anyone for advice -- whatever I'm doing is working.

Back to the car -- great photos.  The car is sharp looking in a garage, but on the salt -- the dark red just flat works.  Congratulations.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1317 on: August 29, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
John,

What kind of lift and duration does you cam have? You can PM me if you want.
Thanks.

SSS,

Food for thought on trailer tires. Some people are starting to think that trailers that have torsion axles are more prone to tire failure than those with standard leaf springs. Reason? Torsion axles don't distribute the load as well to all the tires, therefore sometimes overloading a tire. Example: speed bumps, going in and out of driveways etc.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #1318 on: August 29, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
So you got me to thinking -- that I don't remember how the trailer axles are suspended.  A couple of minutes to walk out to the driveway and stick my head underneath -- and what did I find but torsion bar suspension.  Lots of crud, a few funky-looking electrical connectors, some hanging cables -- and torsion bar axles. 

Okay -- I'll be pretty careful from now on to observe everything that goes on back at the trailer, if for no other reason that I guess my trailer is a problem waiting to happen.  Unh, mmm, I am pretty careful about turning at low speeds and hitting speed bumps and curbs, though -- I wonder if maybe that's helping, if only a little here, a little there.

But -- wasn't this thread about the Langlo car?  If I find it necessary to talk about my trailer I'll go find my own place.  Thanks for the hints, though. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1319 on: August 29, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
weight and speed might have something to do with it
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!