Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1898083 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1155 on: June 29, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »
WRONG color---Blue hat special  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1156 on: July 01, 2010, 01:51:26 PM »
WRONG color---Blue hat special  :-D

I think I like dble blue hat special better. :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1157 on: July 01, 2010, 06:10:12 PM »
Ohhh I get it!!!!!!! you want a double severing of 3 scoop blue hat  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1158 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »
We are currently building our headers, we have the passenger side 3/4 tacked and today we will start on the drivers side.  To finish both sides we need to get the front end on the car.  We will bring it down later next week.  I have to buy a new router to post pictures.  Maybe next week sometime. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1159 on: July 02, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
I'll be happy when these headers are finished. :x

Offline jl222

« Reply #1160 on: July 03, 2010, 01:38:37 AM »
I'll be happy when these headers are finished. :x

yea those compound cuts with a straight cutter are a bitch :x

JL222

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1161 on: July 03, 2010, 02:30:41 AM »
Patience Guys. There's a reason good headers cost as much as they do. How are you planning to back purge them when you weld them up, or maybe what I should ask is what have you got for a back purging set-up?

Pete

Offline jl222

« Reply #1162 on: July 03, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
Patience Guys. There's a reason good headers cost as much as they do. How are you planning to back purge them when you weld them up, or maybe what I should ask is what have you got for a back purging set-up?

Pete

I haven't seen what Justin has to do the purging with but he's talking about a plug and filling the pipe with i'am not sure what gas, nitrogen I believe. Troy and I are doing the fitting and Justin Coffman the welding. This purging is new to me, I understand it makes a smoother weld inside the pipe. What is a good set-up?

JL222

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1163 on: July 03, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »
Sounds like he has a handle on the process. Argon is the normal back purging gas because it's what's being used through the tig torch anyway. I use a single regulator with a tee fitting coming out of it and two separate flowmeters. One flowmeter feeds the torch and the other feeds the back purge. If you want to see why the back purge have him weld up a couple of coupons without the purge. You'll know right away why the purge is needed. Good to hear things are progressing well. Don't rush the fit up!

Pete

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1164 on: July 04, 2010, 12:39:41 AM »
No rush on the headers, just a little frustrated when it doesn't fit correctly after the second cut or grind. :x

Offline jl222

« Reply #1165 on: July 04, 2010, 12:54:39 AM »

Troy is that wood chop saw of yours a compound cutter, if so I have a metal cutting blade for it :-)

Dad

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1166 on: July 04, 2010, 02:33:38 AM »
Just watch it cutting stainless with one of the carbide toothed blades. Stainless can be tough and tricky. Use a cautious approach until you know the blade will handle it.

If you're talking cutting it with an abrasive blade I wouldn't recommend it. The embedded abrasive material can be a cause for cracking. Hacksaws and band saws work really well and don't contaminate the joint. Dodge, extra work again!!! :? :? :?

Pete

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1167 on: July 04, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »
If you are cutting stainless with a metal variable speed band saw, the best way is to friction cut. Turn the blade speed way up, 3000 fpm and have at it. Don't start with a new blade as this speed will ruin all of the teeth but the speed is so high that the friction of the blade against the stainless will cut the tube. You can actually put the blade in backwards and it will still work. I would think that this type of cutting might work with a steel blade in a high speed cut off saw but have never tried it.

Regarding the purging there is also a special flux that you can use for welding stainless that will give pretty much the same result as purging and of course for the life of me I cannot think of its name!! CRS!!!! I am sure someone on the site will help me out here.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1168 on: July 04, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »
It's Solar Flux, but I can't remember the number. I'll post it after I've gone out to the shop.

I've got the same problem Rex. Probably normal because we're pretty close in age too! :-D :-D

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1169 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »
Thanks Pete!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.