Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897494 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1080 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14:08 PM »
Our tuners are pretty excited about the new system as well.  In the next few days we will continue to do needed cosmetic fixes until the new unit gets here.  After El Mirage we will be making new zoomies for Bonneville.   :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1081 on: May 30, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
Hopefully we have a productive week ahead of us, but for now I want to wish my friends and family those in and out of the military a happy Memorial day. :cheers: 

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1082 on: May 31, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
I was so focused on working on the car tomorrow that when my wife asked if I could take our daughter to Hula practice I said no I'm working on the car.  Her quick reply was your workng on the car on my birthday!   :|. Uh... No you just caught me off guard with the hula question...  So on Wednesday I will be able to work on the car again. :-D :-D

Offline GH

« Reply #1083 on: June 01, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »
Troy, never never forget your anniversary or your wife's Birthday.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1084 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
I didn't really forget;  I was in car mode, we only have 10 days to get it ready and loaded. :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #1085 on: June 02, 2010, 12:01:45 AM »
Now you have 9 days.........

HBD

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1086 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
This should be my last early evening.  Today I took off both rear tires and both brake calipers.  The calipers have never been cleaned since it's installation, we took them off and half of the calipers were working.  So I was able to get one completed and the other apart.  My dad worked on cutting some rotting tin from the drivers side rear right behind the tire.  We did get our new data logger, and tomorrow we will be working on it and completing what we can before the weekend.  It will be a long day tomorrow. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1087 on: June 03, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »
We had a lot of trouble getting one of four of the calipers out.  We tried using a screw driver to rotate the caliper but that only scared the outside surface, so I came up with the idea of tack welding a bolt to the bottom of the caliper and using a 9/16 wrench to turn it out.  Hey, it worked!  Pheeeww, that's where I had to stop yesterday because of my daughters musical performance.  School is over sooooooon!  I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1088 on: June 04, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »
Here is that picture of how we got the caliper out of its home.

Since the car is up on the hoist, we decided to go through the rear end.  Looks like we need to replace the bearings and replace the fluids. :-D  A before and after shot of the shafts.  Our wire wheel wore out so the dirty shaft will be cleaned today.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1089 on: June 04, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »
What,  :-o you are going to forego the challenge and excitement of 300 mph asymmetrical braking  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1090 on: June 05, 2010, 12:49:43 AM »
We are done working on the car until Tuesday, our tuners are heading down south for a biker memorial and the car is in their shop.  We did get a few things completed today.  Here is a photo shot of the under side of our battery box, it contains our ballast.  After years of salt hitting the tubbed section it was time to change it out.  

We got a new piece cut and fitted.  We painted the underside of the panel, siliconed the edges and seams so we won't get any El Mirage dust in the back(hopefully). :-D

We will paint the panel to match the rest and then get the brake assembly back on and the tires and then proceed to get the EGT system on the car and then some dyno runs. :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:51:52 AM by bvillercr »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1091 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »
     We have decided that we don't like to pull all nighters anymore, so we will not be making the June meet.  I can't believe how cool the forcast looks, but we will concentrate on "Getting ready for Bonneville".  We have done a lot of needed maintenence on the car and will start gettting all of the new stuff put together tuesday or wednesday of next week.  Once we get the car tuned then we will pull the headers and make new ones for Bonneville.  I will keep this diary and those interested up to date.  We will try to make the November El Mirage. :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1092 on: June 06, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »
Troy & John,

Sorry to hear you won't be running this next Sunday. Was looking forward to seeing you. Take your time and get the car together the way you want it. Bonneville is closer than most think. LOL.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1093 on: June 06, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »
Once we get the EGTs installed the car will tuned without the water injection and then retuned with it.  We want to know how the water changes the set up, could take a couple days or a really long night. :cheers:

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #1094 on: June 07, 2010, 04:59:45 AM »
That car is looking amazing! I would only change one thing...move the water nozzles to the compressor DISCHARGE. The compressor housing will sling the water to the walls and condensate. It will also give more mass to excellerate, making the compressor less efficient. You might even see EGTs drop by moving it downstream of the blower.  :cheers: