Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897302 times)

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1035 on: May 03, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Great work!!! Can't wait to see/hear it run at Elmo!!   :cheers:

Yeah, what he said.  :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1036 on: May 04, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »
We hope we can put up a decent number this time around. :-)  I need to try to keep my first run a little tame and ease off the throttle a bit before I shift, hopefully the track will take it this time. :cheers:  If we get a second run I'll be after it for sure. :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1037 on: May 04, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »
Looks like our new transmission gears are not ready yet, so we will have to wait for Bonneville to run them.  More updates soon. :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1038 on: May 04, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
Troy,

What are the gear ratio's in the transmission? What is the ratio in the Gear Vendor? What is the ratio in your rear end? What is your red line for the motor?

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1039 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »
Troy,

What are the gear ratio's in the transmission? What is the ratio in the Gear Vendor? What is the ratio in your rear end? What is your red line for the motor?

Thanks,

Tom G.

Hi Tom

I'll answer for Troy as he out of town today. We now have an overdrive built by Owens transmissions 26% over and 2.5 rear gears
1.85 overall. I don't like to run over 7250 for very long [but I might for a short while :-D]. We never have said anything about how fast
we might go but I just did in [ballast equations] my Bonneville Pro computer program says 341 mph at 7500 or 329 at 7250
 We want to install a 30% over drive which will give us 1.75 overall and calm the car down in the lower gears.
 This results in 7100 at 341 and 6840 at 329

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1040 on: May 04, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks. What is your gear split in the trans 1.44 and 1.28? What was you max HP and TQ and at what RPM? And was that at sea level or ?

Thanks again,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1041 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:59 PM »

Tom...trans split is 45%-35% and 25% torque was 1900 + can't find dyno sheet but hp was 2093 at 5900 when they shut
the engine down because of lean conditions, this was at 28.5 lbs boost on a chassis dyno and a very warm night at least 80 deg, Fresno is about 750 ft elv. We then switched to EFI and got up to 31.5 lbs at 6800 but the engine vibrates the room so much the electric connector came loose and it broke the neon lights. So they estimated 2300 rear wheel, at Bville
we were getting 36lbs boost :-D.
 Sounds like your putting this info into a computer program if so 29 in tires.
 Now I've got to fix a flat on my lawn tractor and go mow the winter weeds [3 hrs late] :roll:

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1042 on: May 06, 2010, 10:14:27 AM »
Yesterday we took apart the overdrive unit to inspect and tighten the shaft housing.  We found that there is a needle bearing that needs to be replaced and a hardened shim.  We got the needle bearing from Scott Owens last night (he was in town) and need to pick up the shim today.  I did a lot of maintenence on the drive shaft, and tunnel cover (rust grows fast).  We welded up our tube braces that broke last year,we also got the water injection unit mocked up and close to install.  Friday we should have the car assembled with all of the water injection lines installed.  Ill keep updating when I can. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1043 on: May 09, 2010, 01:07:21 AM »
We are getting closer by the day.  Yesterday we got the water injection tank completely mounted, all we have to do it wire it and run water lines to the pipe and blower. 

We also go the overdrive unit back together, after a lot of filing where a thrust washer got welded into place because of a little too much heat. :evil:  The trans blankets are on as well.

I also got everything buttoned up, the fire extinguishers hooked up and the fuel shut off and chute bracket attached.  I used almost a whole tube of silicone in an attempt to seal the dust from getting through the tunnel cover. 

Things we need to do next is drill and tap one blower tube, for water injection.  Wire the water injection, and fix the fiber glass on the front end.  We should be on the dyno Tuesday afternoon. :cheers:

Offline t russell

« Reply #1044 on: May 09, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
terry

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1045 on: May 11, 2010, 09:49:34 AM »
We finished up a few things last night, after a late start. :-(  We completed all of the water lines going into the blower pipe.

Here is a picture of our blower pipe installed with the feed line coming up from the bottom.

The engine compartment is now complete.

Today we need to pack the chute, fill all water tanks, load the car into the trailer and take it down to Precision Auto and dyno tuning.  At the shop we will wire all of the water injection, phase in our fast unit, secure the car on the dyno and if everything goes perfect maybe even start it.   :cheers:  We are still behind where we want to be, but hopefully we will be done on the dyno early on Wednesday to get loaded completely by early Thursday.  We need a little luck so we don't have to thrash so hard. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1046 on: May 12, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »
Water injection wiring is complete getting ready to fire soon. :lol:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1047 on: May 13, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »
Having problems with our fuel primer.  Looks like our primer pump went out and we can't spin the motor fast enough to prime with our fuel pump, but were still tryin. :roll:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1048 on: May 13, 2010, 01:56:30 AM »
It lives, were still doing some pre tuning.  Tomorrow or friday will be a dyno day.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #1049 on: May 13, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »
friday dyno, tech starts on Fri  you guys are  killing me :|