Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897769 times)

Offline gearheadeh

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #945 on: March 12, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »
Your right coil packs would be great, we used to run the electromotive ones when we ran dual plugs.

Why pray tell are you not running dual plug heads now? Are they not the best with ultra high boost?
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline jl222

« Reply #946 on: March 12, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »
Your right coil packs would be great, we used to run the electromotive ones when we ran dual plugs.

Why pray tell are you not running dual plug heads now? Are they not the best with ultra high boost?

The blown alcohol drag guys only use 1 plug and they run more boost than us. 16 plugs are a pta when you warm the engine just before a run. With the Electromotive we ran two units without a distrbutor with no problems for years but it had no spark just before speedweek one year and the fix we tried didn't work so it was MSD time. This unit is more powerfull and has some features that other ignitions don't.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #947 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
Got word today that our valves have not come in yet.  Waiting on parts is no fun!   :evil:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #948 on: March 20, 2010, 10:43:44 AM »
Has anyone heard of any recent problems with Manley valves?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #949 on: March 20, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
No mechanical problems or service issues here. Who did you order them from? I get about 1-2 week turn around on custom length, or head & stem dia.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #950 on: March 20, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
I heard something about the coating that they put on the valve not lasting?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #951 on: March 22, 2010, 12:04:15 AM »
Got some good news on our heads.  Our valves are in and the heads have been worked, just waiting on some trick lash caps and then we will put them together.  We have a naked KB now, the crank will go get checked for balanced and the block will get a little beebee hone soon.  Lots of things to still do, but we have about 7 weeks to get done before the May meet at Elmo.  Here is a little picture of Keith Black undressed. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #952 on: March 22, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
I had coatings come of my Ti valves---were told not to tuch them with my uncovered fingers, run stronger springs, and lash caps!!!!!!!  not Manleys
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #953 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
I had coatings come of my Ti valves---were told not to tuch them with my uncovered fingers, run stronger springs, and lash caps!!!!!!!  not Manleys

what do you like to run Sparky?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #954 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:31 AM »
While I'm waiting and curious on what Sparky uses, our head guy ordered Victory valves for us.  A lot of parts have been ordered and more yet to be.  The next couple of weeks will be waiting on the rest to come in and then it's go time. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #955 on: March 26, 2010, 01:43:28 AM »
  Picked up the heads new titanium intakes, inconel exhaust and half of new trick retainer lash cap combo,now recovering from sticker shock!!
  Also spent 11/2 hrs talking to Rodney at ALCOHOL INJECTION SYSTEMS .COM [water only for us] looks like we'll be going with a custom setup with them. Way more water than I originally thought, but he is a drag racer himself and has worked with several racers including Bville racers. Before I said anything about our strecthing the valves problem he was telling me about a turboed V6 bville engine that was streching the valves every pass also and how they solved the problem with water injection.
 This is exactly what we want :-D

JL222

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:14:46 PM by jl222 »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #956 on: March 26, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »
Got to see the heads and valves today.  Nice job on the heads, and I can't believe the weight on those inconel valves.  :-o

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #957 on: March 28, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
John,
Are the inconel valves hollow? or sodium filled? They are probably Inconel 625 which at 1000 deg F is stronger than chrome moly at room temp!! Great stuff.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #958 on: March 28, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »
Attention, attention:  This thread -- the build of the Langlo's car -- is nearing a milestone.  It's less than 700 hits away from the magic 100,000 views level.  Who'll be the Forum member that puts it over that mark?  Let's pay attention, hey?  It's a worthy landmark - showing our fascination with the progress of this superb car. 

Best wishes -- and keep up the good work.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #959 on: March 28, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »
It's also approaching 1000 replies.  Who'll be the Forum member that puts it over that mark?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!