Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1911723 times)

Offline salt27

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #870 on: January 03, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
Do you guys run piston squirters?  not EDM rods constant spray up the bore to bottom of pistons?

My experience with piston squirters is that they can raise oil temperature [the heat has to go somewhere].
Probably not a concern with a large enough dry sump, but it may be an issue with a marginal oil system.
Just something to beware of.

Don

Offline jl222

« Reply #871 on: January 03, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
  Evo
   How much boost and how far are you going to get those numbers?
  Your right about the lower the intake temps the lower the exhaust temps. In Ricardo's book he states the intake temp is doubled at the end of compression stroke [on his test engine] so lowering the temp can be a big benefit in that area. We are real happy with our new intercooler.

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #872 on: January 03, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
John or Troy,

Have you ever tried running lower boost levels on the dyno?   

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #873 on: January 03, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »
John or Troy,

Have you ever tried running lower boost levels on the dyno?  

Tom G.

We can see the power rise with the boost on the print out sheet. More boost more power :-D
  Were not looking to add more boost and were getting 36 lbs at 6850 now and will be even more at 7000 plus
  I don't believe boost hurts the motor but detonation does, the John dear type diesel tractor pullers have run 250 lbs of boost [and injecting water at 3 gal min] because their just compressing air and injecting the fuel when the piston is going in the right direction.

JL222

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:25:03 PM by jl222 »

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #874 on: January 03, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »
JL222- I have run around 40 psi on the dyno with a new intake manifold and the current setup it puts down 1093 awhp, this is on race gas and my old turbo and header setup. This turbo should max out somewhere around 1150 awhp then it's onto a new header and a bigger turbo(this is to run the mile not Bonneville).
Oh by the way my block comes standard with piston squirters. When I drag raced I did not use them but now that I am land speed racing I am using them once again.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #875 on: January 03, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »
EVO,
I know you have probably posted this info already, but what do you run for a drive train. 1100 hp is a ton of torque and that is what kills transmissions.

John and Troy,
Sounds like your update and rebuild is going good, let me know when you are going to the dyno and I may take a special trip to the valley to watch. Are you going to do double wall headers like funny cars??

John, you are right about the "Super Stock" tractor pullers using some really unbelievable blower boost numbers but remember a big JD or IH has a crank shaft that probably weights more than your engine. They are really stout.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #876 on: January 03, 2010, 11:04:15 PM »
Rex, we haven't worked on the car in a while.  It's a new year now so we need to get working on it soon.   :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #877 on: January 04, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »
Very interesting.................

I've not used oil squirters, however they will cool the piston. Below are a few other ways to do this also...

So will thicker rings (.062 vs. .043) this is how heat is transferred to the cylinder wall then the coolant, Chargeair cooling (for every degree drop in inlet temp you will see an equal drop in exhaust temp) don't believe me, ask Ricardo etc., More piston skirt contact area (again heat transfer to the coolant), and a thicker piston deck or crown (this is again how the heat is removed from the chamber to the cooling system).

Oil on the bottom of the pistons is fine but a few things to keep in the back of your mind when you do this.

If your oil supply is limited (say 5 to 7 quarts) you can overheat the oil so you might want to run a cooler.

Pay attention to your oil pressure. 8 oil squirters will reduce oil pressure to the engine.

Most race engines are concerned with crankcase windage. Shooting 8 nozzles at the bottom of your pistons rotating at 8000 rpm does what?

Also keep in mind that if you are not running a drysump or high crankcase vacuum you probally already have plenty of oil splashing on the bottom of your pistons.

The above information is my point of view regarding boosted engines at Bonneville. In-line 4's, 6's, & V-6's etc. are included

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #878 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:42 AM »
Rex- My drivetrain consists of a stock rear diff with solid mounting and the taller talon gear, driveshaft shop custom rear axles with evo 8 rear hubs, a custom 2 piece driveshaft shop driveshaft, a shepard transmissions upgraded t-case, a stock trans with Shepard(PPG) dog gears 1-4 and a stock talon 5th gear, the clutch is a Tilton carbon-carbon twin disc with a hydraulic throwout bearing.
As far as torque goes it doesn't have alot compared to JL's car but it is pretty damn good for a 122 Ci engine, it lays down about 700 lb ft at all 4 wheels. I don't know how many of you are acquainted with awd dyno numbers but we have done comparisons between awd and 2 wd with the same car at the same dyno on the same day and it is between 8-10 % higher when in 2wd mode. So you would take any numbers I put up and roughly multiply by 10% so around 750 lb ft torque at 2 wheels.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #879 on: January 05, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »
Our motor is 4 times larger than yours yet we do not have 4 times the HP or torque.  I would say that your motor is pretty darn impressive. :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:23:05 PM by bvillercr »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #880 on: January 06, 2010, 08:11:05 AM »
Do you guys run piston squirters?  not EDM rods constant spray up the bore to bottom of pistons?

I read an article about a guy with a tubo chev and a datson [168 in 1/4 mile drags and a car he claimed to drive to his machine shop] doing that about 15 years ago and I'm suprised that more engine builders don't do it. He machined a groove in the main bearing saddles [under the bearings and over to the oil feed] and made some kind of squirter aimed at the inside bottom of pistons. He claimed it took a bunch of heat away from the piston head but I don't know how he measured it [ he gave a number] but it did fix a problem he had. It seems that boring a hole up the middle of a rod would work but i'm waiting for somebody else to do it.

JL222

http://www.blp.com/pdf/install/DomeOilerInstall1.pdf
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #881 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:02 PM »
Nice find, thanks for the info.  :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #882 on: January 10, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »
Just received this nice picture, the photo was from Laser Imagaing(their spelling) at speedweek. 

Offline Bville701

« Reply #883 on: January 11, 2010, 12:52:57 AM »
Nice picture!!!   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #884 on: January 11, 2010, 03:22:06 AM »
And well earned. :cheers: :cheers: :-D