Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897566 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #855 on: December 31, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »

Thanks Evo

Were not trying to make more power right now and our main problem [ besides blower tube blow offs] at speedweek was stretching the valves even though the air fuel ratio showed high tens to low elevens. We hope to install pyrometers on each exhaust to monitor the cylinder temps and water injection to help with detonation. We can't figure out why things got so hot as the intake temp was only 140 degrees leaving the intercooler at the end of the runs and it seemed to be rich enough and the plugs showed no signs of excess heat. Its like it might be retarded but set only 2 degrees less than normal.
 After we make these changes we'll put it back on Precision Auto's dyno and see whats going on.
  One other change is going to 3/8 stem inconell exhaust [which we haven't been able to get on time in the past] and titaniam intakes.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #856 on: December 31, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »
Inconel exhaust and Beryllium seats help for sure.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #857 on: December 31, 2009, 02:20:43 PM »

I don't know all the ins and outs of your car and team of course but if it's not a detonation problem it appears to me that you will go alot faster than you have with the power you have once you sort through the few bugs that have stopped the car from ripping off a really stupendous number.

P.S.- I  your car is one of my favorites.
[/quote]

Well, yes and no.  We haven't had a great 5 mile time yet, but a 285mph number in the first timed mile is in the top three for any doorslammer.(I think) :cheers:

Offline Bville701

« Reply #858 on: December 31, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
We didn't do a 285 in the first mile. Our 285 was in the middle mile. I think you guys are in the top 2 with that speed!!!   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #859 on: December 31, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
Not sure what Leggit did in the first mile but Blowfish went 286 in the first mile at the finals.  The good news for us is that we were not on the throttle as hard as we wanted because my dad wanted to qualify and not spin out like on his record return run that morning.  Also the blower tube popped off about 2-3 seconds before the mile trap(taching 312).  If we can get all of the gremlins fix, then we will have a pretty good number at the 5. :cheers:

Offline Bville701

« Reply #860 on: December 31, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
Yep, forgot about the Blowfish.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline desotoman

« Reply #861 on: December 31, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »
Troy or John,

What is your static compression ratio? What is the maximum boost on a run?

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #862 on: December 31, 2009, 05:51:59 PM »
We're running 8 1/2 to 1 and we ran 36lbs of boost at bonneville. :cheers:

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #863 on: December 31, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »
What type of fuel do you run ?
I was under the impression that you run methanol.
Did you have the inconell ex valves at bonneville or not. If you didn't this will be a huge help, at the power I put down on gas my valves would tweak within a weekend with regular stainless ex. valves, inconell lasts way longer.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #864 on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:42 PM »
Strickly gas, we may jump to the fuel class next year if we go over 300 and get a record.  If we do jump into the fuel class we will still run gas.  We run the A8C I believe it's a 120 octane (research method).  Last year we got two runs in at 286 middle mile(header broke) and 279 middle(not running very good) and found out we bent a valve.  We took both heads up to Chapman Racing Heads and replaced all of the intake and exhaust valves.  We didn't have enough time to get the high dollar valves we wanted.  These valves lasted 6 and 1/2 miles before they went bad.  The last run we went 285 with no valve clearence at the end of that run.  One of our heads is being picked up this weekend after being welded up near the spark plug thread.  Once we get that one back they will have inconell exhaust and titanium intakes. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #865 on: December 31, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
Do you guys run piston squirters?  not EDM rods constant spray up the bore to bottom of pistons?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #866 on: January 01, 2010, 01:20:11 PM »
Nope, but that is some great technology.  Maybe someday. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #867 on: January 02, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »
Do you guys run piston squirters?  not EDM rods constant spray up the bore to bottom of pistons?

I read an article about a guy with a tubo chev and a datson [168 in 1/4 mile drags and a car he claimed to drive to his machine shop] doing that about 15 years ago and I'm suprised that more engine builders don't do it. He machined a groove in the main bearing saddles [under the bearings and over to the oil feed] and made some kind of squirter aimed at the inside bottom of pistons. He claimed it took a bunch of heat away from the piston head but I don't know how he measured it [ he gave a number] but it did fix a problem he had. It seems that boring a hole up the middle of a rod would work but i'm waiting for somebody else to do it.

JL222

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:43:06 PM by jl222 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #868 on: January 03, 2010, 09:06:39 AM »
most now drill a hole through the upper part of a main saddle and install a small screw in tube that can be aimed others build a mainfold and lip over into the bottom of a bore.---Turbo Diesels have been doing it for years and years---even have passages through underpart of the piston crown like a rear end lube channel.

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #869 on: January 03, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »
I don't want to over step my boundaries and I may be wrong as I haven't tuned a high hp big blocks but I would check the plugs and if there is no sign of detonation I would start adding timing to the tune up as this will lower the egts. I also think it's a great idea to data log the egt from each cyl. I'm looking into a setup at this time.
If I remember correctly you also had some problems with the old intercooler setup and you now have a new one?, I believe you should be able to lower the intake temps quite a bit with a better properly sized and installed intercooler set up. The reason I say properly installed is because I have seen large differences in temps just by changing the routing of the water lines to straighten them out.
On my old core I thought it was working just fine, then I moved to a larger core with a better lay out and now the temps plummet as soon as I turn on the pump and they stay well under 100 degree's at the end of a run, I have even decreased the amount of ice I run in the tank as the temps can get to cold, the engine really doesn't like below 50* intake temps.

Anyway sorry for he whole intercooler tangent, what I was trying to get at is that if you lower the intake temp you lower the chance of detonation and can increase the timing thereby further lowering the egt.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Mike Reichen
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010