Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1893027 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2280 on: July 19, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »

Blocks ben honed {as good as they could) some out of round and spots not so good but could not get sleeves in time.

Rough time getting 8 pistons to use. But had some in stockpile that were all right.

So crank pistons and rods installed . valves are all lapped and I set valve height and installed valves in repaired head
today. Other head tomorrow. Also clutch taken apart cleaned and set to specs. But one special locking nut was broken and waiting for that. Clutch is a Hays 3 disk 6 finger slipper clutch used in some Pro Mod drag cars, but we use heavy counter weights and give it one turn on the adjustment screw for more pressure on the 6 springs. We don't want it to slip and have to adjust the clutch between runs.
Major pain to adjust in our car even though it might be a good idea for a car that has easy access to it.

Steeve  Moody is doing the FAST EFI and connecting the 8 new EGTS they come with a junction block and harness
  to plug into the FAST unit but all the plug ins are taken :? I guess there are wire pins that will work.
  Problem though with #7 and 8 EGTS as they are not long enough to run inside of firewall and connect. Seeing about
trading for longer ones.

Should have engine together by Monday and installed and running by the next weekend. Maybe :-D

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2281 on: July 23, 2017, 11:10:20 PM »

Engine together and valves set, less manifold, clutch and flywheel. Clutch is adjusted and ready to GO but still waiting on that one special nut. Now get this, I went down to our rural locking mailbox and there was a key inside with mail to unlock larger box they use for large packages, I thinking great, maybe they shipped the nuts in a box. Opened box nothing in there? Besides that, those keys stay put once you open the box. Not this one came right out.

So leaving a note with key in my box tomorrow.

Going to Steve Moody's shop tomorrow to see if EFI injectors have been flowed and pick up headers if EGT bungs
have been welded.

JL222

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2282 on: July 24, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »

... ready to GO but still waiting on that one special nut.
                JL222

The one behind the wheel?  :roll:

sorry, couldn't stop myself from pulling a sound bite out of context... maybe I should work for CNN  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

« Reply #2283 on: July 25, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »

... ready to GO but still waiting on that one special nut.
                JL222

The one behind the wheel?  :roll:

sorry, couldn't stop myself from pulling a sound bite out of context... maybe I should work for CNN  :cheers:

We already have 2 of those :-D

Had special nut machined by Ted at Steve Moody's shop. Clutch now complete and installing on engine today.

Steve flowed our EFI injectors and flow was way down on 6 of them, 6 new ones coming today. 

Really need a filter but finding room to install it and one that flows enough gal per min is a nightmare.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2284 on: July 28, 2017, 12:06:02 AM »
 We installed engine and one Owens trans today. install blower plate and drive Sat, Then manifold, headers, ECT, ECT

Fuel filter, fittings and hose coming from Summit. supports up to 3,000 hp. need to hook up existing fuel lines,  and hope new filter will fit where I think it will. And hope not to many hose changes.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2285 on: July 30, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »

Blower plate '' has blower and drive on it'' installed Sat. went easier than usual, Plate is 3/4 inch thick and bolts in place on frame we have to shim with valve spring shims to get Greek coupler to line up with receiver on crank.
 This time we labeled the shims for each bolt hole when we took plate off and didn't have to mess with any shimming.

We also installed the manifold and hooked up the fuel lines (there is a bunch) New fuel filter install went really good
and we only have to make one new fuel line.

Installing oil lines, blower tubes, headers, new EGTs  and the rest of the Owens transmissions next.

Were still short the 6 new injectors but supposed to be here tomorrow.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2286 on: August 02, 2017, 12:12:20 PM »

Geez, we found a loose bearing support on overdrive trans which resulted in a shim being welded to overdrive shaft and rear of planetary housing , had to drive 90 miles to Scot Owens shop yesterday to get fixed.
 Got back put 17 quarts of oil in engine oil in the transmissions hooked up the blower tubes adjusted the clutch
checked that all fuel lines were tight [ some weren't] :-P and cleaned out fuel tank.
  We could have fired the engine but decided to wait until today. I told Troy I wanted to sleep all night for a change
incase there were problems.

And there might be a problem with the hydraulic throw out bearing. Troy thinks he can here a hissing noise.
 A leak? :x

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2287 on: August 04, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »

@#$%&!!!... EFI only fires on right side. We had this problem last year and traced it to corroded connectors in main harness. We cleaned the pins with battery clean [PNA to get pins out[ put a bunch of dialectic grease on connectors, and solved the problem. trying to trace the problem today.

But... 1st thing , we have a small electric fuel pump to prime engine, this builds pressure in fuel regulator to 45lbs,
no pressure, bladder in regulator not right, take regulator apart, no sign of a hole, put back together and get pressure? But slower than usual. New one coming today.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2288 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:57 AM »

OK... very little fuel pressure  when trying to prime system, new bladder for regulator and no difference, traced problem to loose connection in fuel line  :roll: A few injector problems fixed and finally firing on
all 8  :cheers:

Dyno tomorrow then load for Bville :-D

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2289 on: August 09, 2017, 02:35:35 AM »

Dyno tuned but not easy, a little rich on the safe side, richer at Bville, make a short pass then check tune.

SOUNDS scary on dyno :-o

A bit of loading in morning then off to Bville.

JL222

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
    • Paul Powell Performance
« Reply #2290 on: August 09, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
See you there. 
Make sure you bring the EGT module that was not working.
Paul Powell
Paul Powell Performance L.L.C.
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline jl222

« Reply #2291 on: August 09, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
See you there. 
Make sure you bring the EGT module that was not working.

Hi Paul...FAST is shipping new module to the Nugget should be there Thursday.

Were heading out as soon as I finish this post.

Hope we can find a spot on the 2nd class 1st row after passing fat cat row :roll:

JL222   See you there :cheers:

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #2292 on: August 16, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
Any updates???
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline jl222

« Reply #2293 on: August 18, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »

I ran the rooky course just to get a tune and avoid a long wait [still long] and so rough couldn't give much throttle.

Ran long course and same deal, afraid I would spin, bumpy and loose. Gave up before the three. Told Troy you can try it but I'm not driving on that crappy course again So $150 driver change.

Troy now believes me :-D Got up to 185mph at the 21/4 and 163 in the 3 but got very side ways and loose all the way. Packed up and left.

Its unbelievable how bad a course the BNI thinks its acceptable to run cars down. The course had been moved over and down a mile so we were waiting on a dragged :? course. I laid my tape measure on edge over a hole an inch deep and the holes were all over. With holes you have bumps.
  ThunderSalt shredded his Mickey Thomson tires after a 235 mph pass :-o

There was a bad roll over early in the week and the driver was taken to Salt Lake.

Were not going back until Conditions and grading improve.

I talked to Seth Hammond and after driving the course on Thursday on the 10th he said the course was to rough
 for them to attempt to go fast enough to set a record
 So he left the car parked in Wendover.

Fast EKG module never shipped so no EGTS :roll:

Only good news was the 222 Camaro was lifting the left front tire off the ground on dyno run :-o

Drove straight home yesterday got here about 11:30.

Stopped, looked and took pics of a herd of about 25 Big Horn Sheeps at Warm Springs on the way to Tonopah

BIG racks on a lot of them, saw 1 Antelope and several wild horses.

And no FLAT tires :-D

JL222   

Offline CNC-Dude

« Reply #2294 on: August 18, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »
I've been following your thread for quite a while now and was hoping to see you get over 300. Sounds like many other competitors are going to be disappointed in the track as well from what you're saying about the conditions, and probably not many, if any new records..