Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1893043 times)

Offline revolutionary

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2265 on: May 18, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
good luck guys! looking forward to big numbers and pics!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2266 on: May 18, 2017, 07:28:47 PM »
Go well guys. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2267 on: May 18, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
This bench has been one of the best investment yet! It makes fabricating so much easier.

Finally built a storage area for all of our crates, and new generator, compressor and welder will go below.

All gassed up and ready to run.

I was on the ground and thought this was a cool view.  Lol

Now she's all washed and loaded up and yes I forgot to take a photo!

Offline jl222

« Reply #2268 on: May 22, 2017, 03:32:13 PM »

Jeez.. what a week end. Arrived Fri afternoon, got right into inspection, passed. but big lineup to pay and enter. Then they closed at 5:00 and everyone come back Sat morning. Big slooow line, finely entered, warm up engine runs a while and quits,
WTF is all that smoke at back of trunk? Positive batter cable that goes to is melting, shut power off at rear. We spent rest of day tracing the short and after many this must be its, we [Troy] changed the starter Even though short cable to starter from junction stud showed no short. Fired up, kept running and no more heated up cable.

Then SCTA closed early because of bad course and "supposedly 3 cars had gone out the back door and BLM was threatening
sanctions"
  I talked to one back door driver that he got dusted out and when it cleared he didn't realized he had passed the traps.
 Dusting out was a problem on this course and Sundays also.

Sunday.  Round 2 had been called when we finely got up to the lineup but we hadn't run yet so they let us push by. We run out of the 200 mile line and nobody in line.

Troy takes off like a bat out of hell, even sooner than usual, leaving us in a cloud of dust completely blocking push truck
vision, that's never happened before. Newly grooved tires?

1st gear 30% tps 2 gear 40% 3 gear traction good then bad, a bit side ways, backing off an on throttle, but bad track and time of 207mph.

Back to pits, pull plugs #8 melted and 0 no compression in cyl.
 I hope its a piston and not the head.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2269 on: May 25, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
Here is a idea from the south side of the track, you can hear me get loose as I get closer to the camera.  Our car runs at the 7:50 mark of the video.

https://youtu.be/b5xLft0TLuc

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
    • Paul Powell Performance
« Reply #2270 on: May 31, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
Hey I waited by the phone and never got a call!
Let me know what you find and I will see what I can do to help.
Paul
Paul Powell
Paul Powell Performance L.L.C.
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline jl222

« Reply #2271 on: May 31, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
Hey I waited by the phone and never got a call!
Let me know what you find and I will see what I can do to help.
Paul

Sorry about that but I think Troy tried to give you a heads up before? But as my post above says we only got one run in and the track was loose
 and #8 plug was burned up and no compression in it.

Data logger shows real lean most of the time in low gear then jumps to the nines for a second or so then goes lean again all at 35% tps and no 02 correction until 3rd gear at 65% tps and still only correcting to a less lean condition?

02 Sensor?

Small world at times, we were in Santa Barbara this last weekend and stopped to spend the night with our niece in
 Las Alamos about 60 miles from SB, turns out her neighbor works at Bville for the SCTA/BNI he was at El Mirage and took a video of us leaving the start line :-o  Video shows #8 blowing blue smoke from the get go and the other cylinders not doing well I just saw it on the I phone so couldn't tell exactly but looked white, always black smoke at first blip of throttle

Troys coming out Sunday and hopefully can send the data log and start line run to you. Then we take the head off
and hope its just a piston.

Thanks JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2272 on: June 06, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »

Well, we took off the head and at 1st glance piston looked okay but head was eroded from spark plug hole to exhaust seat about 1/4'' deep X 1/2'' wide seat and valve look okay but seat will probably need to be replaced after
welding repair. Looking closer at piston which was at top of stroke, there was a small erosion at top side of piston, and when we turned the engine over the sleeve had major wear from exhaust fire going down side of piston. We also destroyed  a pushrod top in #4?

Running at part throttle engine was real lean with no or very little boost but with more tps and boost EFI corrects to richer.

I don't think we can get the sleeve out without heating the block. Troy broke a sleeve puller where it connects to different sizes of piston plates even when block was heated. So it looks llike engine pulling time.

Another problem, valves were extremely tight with very little or no clearance . Which means valves are sinking in head, Very frustrating.

Hope to pull other head and pitons next weekend.

JL222  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:13:16 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2273 on: June 12, 2017, 02:17:38 PM »
  We pulled the pistons and #8 is torched [like a cutting torch] through the rings and inside of piston to rod. so new rod and piston, which I have 2 of each but rings were pinched in 2 other pistons but we think we can make one of our old pistons work that I replaced with new because of minor wear on bottom of skirt. Engine was apart so just replaced
with a perfect one.

Just ordered a new sleeve puller that weighs 13lbs vrs our 51/2lb so hopefully we can pull sleeve in car.
 Also just was talking to cousin Arley who suggested a couple of weld beads inside of sleeve to shrink it.
 I'll try packing sleeve with dry ice above puller I'ST,

Troy took pics so maybe he can post them.

JL222
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:30:13 PM by jl222 »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2274 on: June 12, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
So John, The obvious question is why did it happen. If the tune was right before, why did it kill itself now....

I get it if you don't know yet.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #2275 on: June 12, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »
So John, The obvious question is why did it happen. If the tune was right before, why did it kill itself now....

I get it if you don't know yet.

Yeah, it was OK at bville and should have been richer at El Mirage and OK last Nov.

O2 sensor just has a few runs on it but at part throttle and no boost or load, data log shows very lean and no correction but corrects and richens with boost,tps and load.

Hope to get every thing fixed and on dyno before Bville.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2276 on: June 20, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »

This Bville car can be a big pain in the ass. Our blower is mounted on a 3/4 in plate in front of the engine and is driven  by a shortened and modified funny car drive shaft with Greek couplers on engine side. The shaft is supported with 4 bearings in an aluminum housing. There's a snap ring behind the housing to keep the shaft in place and from moving forward. Trouble begins, half of snap ring frozen in place, '' Bville salt'' :roll: after hour or more finally pops out of grove. Shaft has to move forward to clear Greek coupler on engine and lift blower plate out of car. more trouble, shaft will not slide forward. we lift blower and plate with a cherry picker. and no matter which way we tried
shaft wouldn't clear coupler. Finally we had to grind less than a 1/16" off coupler to clear and remove assembly :-P
 After 4hrs and fathers day company coming we called it a day.

Monday afternoon  we finished pulling the engine, but hey, new monster sleeve puller yanked the bad sleeve out without heating up the block :-D

JL222

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
    • Paul Powell Performance
« Reply #2277 on: June 22, 2017, 11:22:16 AM »
Let me know when you are going to the dyno.
We need to get that tune right before Bonneville.
This year you really need to get the right color hat!!!!
I know it is cheaper to get the tune right then hurt parts!!!!
Paul Powell
Paul Powell Performance L.L.C.
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline jl222

« Reply #2278 on: June 22, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
Let me know when you are going to the dyno.
We need to get that tune right before Bonneville.
This year you really need to get the right color hat!!!!
I know it is cheaper to get the tune right then hurt parts!!!!

Yea get the tune right!!! Planning to get 8 EGTS, a fuel pressure sensor, and one more O2 sensor.Not sure if FAST reads O2 sensors separately?

Trouble finding a sleeve in stock and Darton Sleeves says they have to get from foundry and 8 = 12 weeks but I found a good sleeve in my used parts. Just need one pin or replace all. Steve Moody repairing head.

jl222

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:18:22 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2279 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »

block and sleeves cleaned up and ready to install sleeves. New main, rod bearings 8 EGTs and fuel pressure sensor
on order. hope to install sleeves and give them a light hone then assemble engine.

We also cleaned up clutch disks, floater plates and rebuilt McCloud hydraulic throw out with new O rings

Still need to take apart, clean and adjust our Hayes 3 disk clutch to specs, It could be a slipper clutch but we set it up to not slip. Hey no clutch dust and no wear :-)
 To much trouble to adjust between runs with our setup.

JL222