Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1893034 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2235 on: September 04, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
Time to work on the car again, hmm where should we start? :-P

Start with compression test to see if any thing going on with plug fouling in #3.
   If good, set valves, put blower tubes back on [ we took tubes off to check if salt got in tubes or intercooler after spin at Bville, no salt]  :cheers: and fire up :-D
  We better check to see if rims are bent. Tires OK but rough spot on both rears but not flat spotted.

Also download last run from Fast EFI to laptop.

JL222
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 02:29:23 PM by jl222 »

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
    • Paul Powell Performance
« Reply #2236 on: September 16, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
Send data log to Paul.
Get computer connected to car.
Call Paul and let him play with tune.
GO REAL FAST!

Hope you are doing well and hope to see y'all soon.

Paul Powell
Paul Powell Performance L.L.C.
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline jl222

« Reply #2237 on: September 16, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
Send data log to Paul.
Get computer connected to car.
Call Paul and let him play with tune.
GO REAL FAST!

Hope you are doing well and hope to see y'all soon.

That sounds great Paul :-D  Will do as soon as Troy has time to make it out to the shop.

I know you left before our last run, engine had plenty of power, to much to give much throttle, so I went into high gear, but revs were to low Then it acted like it fouled a plug, I kept going hoping it would clear up, but even with low power I spun in the 3 mile on the bumpy loose track, 209 in the 1/4 and 228 tack indicated. #3 plug was black [ 02 sensor exhaust pipe] and after checking at home #4 pushrod cup was destroyed and not opening intake valve.

We replaced pushrod and adjuster nut so ready to run El Mirage but not sure if lake bed doesn't get rain.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2238 on: September 30, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »

Just ordered a MSD 8+ ignition and new coil from Summit Racing. Shipped the day I ordered and received the next day  8-)

This will give us 75% more spark energy but cost 75% more than old system :-P

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #2239 on: October 09, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »

Just ordered a MSD 8+ ignition and new coil from Summit Racing. Shipped the day I ordered and received the next day  8-)

This will give us 75% more spark energy but cost 75% more than old system :-P

JL222

Decided to replace all the adjuster nuts with new ones. Engine is ready for warm up [ just need to install blower ducting to intercooler and install MSD 8 and coil] after engine is warm will install new adjusters, set valves at hot lash and add STP to pushrod cups. Also see if there's a room for a tube inside valve covers with holes aimed at adjuster nuts and pushrods for better oiling. Also thinking about adding STP to engine oil.

JL222
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:20:28 PM by jl222 »

Offline Woodyedmiston

• New folks
« Reply #2240 on: October 14, 2016, 11:23:39 AM »
jl222
Wondering how the tube for additional oiling worked.  Any flow back problems or build up of oil in the valve covers?  What did you use for nozzles or did you?  Focusing on this with my build.  WDE
Woody

Offline jl222

« Reply #2241 on: October 14, 2016, 01:30:41 PM »
jl222
Wondering how the tube for additional oiling worked.  Any flow back problems or build up of oil in the valve covers?  What did you use for nozzles or did you?  Focusing on this with my build.  WDE

WDE... I haven't done any thing yet but when we had mechanical injection with two intercoolers in a box above injectors we just ran a short piece of brake line inside of box between the coolers, with small holes drilled angled at top of injectors to inject gas for starting All fittings from Summit Racing including electric fuel pump which we still use for priming the EFI system.
  So hopefully there's room inside valve covers to do the same.
 We can tap off the back of oil filter and use braided lines to valve covers.

The blown alcohol drag racers used to spray oil on their springs [maybe they still do?] but don't know about system.

JL222

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:35:31 PM by jl222 »

Offline Woodyedmiston

• New folks
« Reply #2242 on: October 16, 2016, 09:59:04 PM »
jl222
Wondering how the tube for additional oiling worked.  Any flow back problems or build up of oil in the valve covers?  What did you use for nozzles or did you?  Focusing on this with my build.  WDE

WDE... I haven't done any thing yet but when we had mechanical injection with two intercoolers in a box above injectors we just ran a short piece of brake line inside of box between the coolers, with small holes drilled angled at top of injectors to inject gas for starting All fittings from Summit Racing including electric fuel pump which we still use for priming the EFI system.
  So hopefully there's room inside valve covers to do the same.
 We can tap off the back of oil filter and use braided lines to valve covers.

The blown alcohol drag racers used to spray oil on their springs [maybe they still do?] but don't know about system.

JL222

Good info...was thinking of a misting nozzle . . . But after following up on your info I realize all the movement in the valve cover does plenty of "atomization " . . . We have a local parts house that will be familiar with the funny car usage of oiling and oiling fittings.  Very helpful.  Please ask if there is anything I can ever do for you.
Woody

Offline jl222

« Reply #2243 on: November 04, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »

Lots happening in a short time. Just bought 2 vehicles within a week :-o

Wife's 2005 ExTerra had oil in engine water and water in trans [not good] plus other issues'

My 1999 Ford F250 had glow plug problem, needed water system change and trans oil change + 4 wheel drive
not engaging which I had fixed [ almost]. Of course I checked out the new trucks when I took it in :roll:
 Salesman says take it for a ride [ big mistake] Wow what a difference 17 yrs make.  440 hp 850 ft lbs torque :-o
and super quiet Well its really nice but just bought a Nissan Rouge 3 days ago'

Go to pick up truck and notice not engaging in low range, another big expense.

This time they talked me into it, didn't take much though :-D

Ruby Red, crew cab, short bed, 4 wheel drive, diesel. This truck is bitchen,

Now were working on a front push bar.

Back to the 222 Camaro. We warmed the engine and were replacing old adjuster nuts with new ones when Troy noticed that new adjusters were noticeably longer?  Set valve cover on, turned motor over and Valve cover jumps up $#@#. At least we caught it on 1st rocker.

Replaced old coil with higher rated one but hooking up MSD 8 to the FAST EFI is a project, looks like piggy backing on to current unit is better and easier. Waiting on that project.
 Also noticed headers on left bank needs welding.

So we need to make front push bar and weld two pipes and go to El Mirage.

But we have 2 couples [old friends and neighbors from Santa Barbara] coming to visit and should show up shortly :-D
  Hey can you guys give me a hand on the race car :-D

JL222

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:02:20 PM by jl222 »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2244 on: November 14, 2016, 08:04:58 PM »
Well, we had a good second run going at El Mirage the last weekend.  We got up to 200 and got loose and went sideways!  Looks like I was five seconds of fighting a spin before I went through the light sideways or close to it.  Here's my video. :-D

https://youtu.be/ILSBHb4hv-0

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
« Reply #2245 on: December 15, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
Still need to get that thing tuned up a little more!
Paul Powell
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline jl222

« Reply #2246 on: December 15, 2016, 08:32:35 PM »
Still need to get that thing tuned up a little more!

Yeah Paul... We want to better prepared for El Mirage next May, and better tune is one of them. More up turn at rear of spoiler, grooved tires and more weight. Grooving tires similar to Formulae 1 intermediate rain tires. Maybe Troy can post pics of tire and also send you data from last run.

We met Steve Moody at the Nov. meet. Steve has a big machine shop in Fresno several CNCs and lathes AND a dyno. Steve's  an engine builder and tuner for some very fast cars at Bville and Elmo. So will be calling before we go there to make sure your available for internet tune. Crazy stuff, tune car from NC :-o

JL222

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:52:01 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #2247 on: December 25, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
« Reply #2248 on: January 10, 2017, 02:11:10 PM »
Funky pattern!  Do you think it will help with traction?  I can see water removal (rain racing) but not sure on the salt or dirt.
Paul Powell
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline jl222

« Reply #2249 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »
Funky pattern!  Do you think it will help with traction?  I can see water removal (rain racing) but not sure on the salt or dirt.

Yeah funky... but I think easier on tire life than a sprint tire pattern. Don't want it chunking at speed.

The link didn't show the F1 rain tire which is more aggressive. We'll start with this on some older tires not rated for 300mph and

try them at May El Mirage and see what happens.

Not sure how much rain  El Mirage got with the recent storms but we got plenty here in the Clovis foothills. Hopefully it will get flooded
a bunch which helps keep the marbles down.

JL222