Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1892852 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #2025 on: March 28, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »
I guess that means that looked at the pictures you sent them.

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jl222

« Reply #2026 on: March 29, 2014, 01:05:03 AM »
I guess that means that looked at the pictures you sent them.

:cheers:

Mike

Yeah...it worried me that maybe they changed something but so far so good.

It seems you have to be exact when ordering these hot rod parts. On the other heads I told the head porter the dimension on the heads to be ported, that the intake port floor was fine but the top needed to be raised 100 thou [from what I remember] or
whatever. Didn't do it and had a .100 thou step in head. So this time will install heads and manifold on block, paint heads with blue ink and scribe exactly were porting needs to go. Trouble is scribing front and rear ports on 4 barrel manifold. My buddy Dicky Griffen [200 mph member passed away a few years back] said he sprays paint down those intake passageways to mark the hard to scribe ports.

JL222

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #2027 on: March 29, 2014, 01:39:00 AM »
Use a big shop vac in each cylinder and a shot of paint into the intake for each cylinder?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jl222

« Reply #2028 on: March 29, 2014, 01:42:45 AM »
Use a big shop vac in each cylinder and a shot of paint into the intake for each cylinder?

Mike

Yeah.. that sounds like the trick :cheers:

JL222

Offline overdue

« Reply #2029 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

Mike

Yeah.. that sounds like the trick :cheers:

JL222

I have done this. On one side my port alignment wasn't ideal, on the other side the gasket didn't sit right. Very educational.
In threads this long, I read the first 2 (oldest)pages, then read back from the most recent, and except for your "wrong" engine, ginormous hood bulge, and the whole front clip arrangement, this car is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Kudos!

Offline jl222

« Reply #2030 on: April 19, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »

Mike

The vac did the trick, got some good marks for the head porter :cheers:
  Troy took pics and will post.

Were having Easter for 20+or- so had to get #222 off the stands and pushed to far end of shop to make way for tables.

Before moving we moved the shocks to the top mounting position which allowed us to lower the spring platform and get a much softer setting. We had to raise the platform to get the ride height we wanted when we 1st installed these new shocks and springs but it made things to stiff, the rear would hardly move when pressing down on bumper. Now it moves nicely and should give us a much softer wheel rate.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2031 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »
New head on the right needs some major porting, head on the left needs a little.

Manifold is in place to spray thru it's port.

This should do the trick.  With advice from 4 Barrel Mike we used a shop vac to help draw the spray to the port.

Thanks Mike it worked great!

Cleaning the manifold after spraying was a pain in the a$$ though. :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2032 on: April 19, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »
It's a Bloody Monster whatever it is. :-D

Now that's a motor. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #2033 on: April 19, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »

Thanks Mike it worked great!

Even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.   :mrgreen:

:cheers:  :cheers:

Mike

Offline jl222

« Reply #2034 on: April 19, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »

Stage 5 machines the ports in about an inch and the sides and bottom match our intake manifold perfectly but not the top of the port. I told the head porter the top of the intake needed to be raised 100 thou last time, but that didn't happen, so this time we painted it for him.

JL222

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #2035 on: May 03, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Cast block and heads seem odd to me. I know you guys run water in your block and heads and you cant do that with the billet blocks and heads. Plus with me working on Top Alcohol cars at the drags, all those guys run the billet stuff. Then again none of those cars have ever gone as fast as you guys  :-) Keep up the progress. Hope to see you on the Salt in August

Offline jl222

« Reply #2036 on: May 03, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »
Cast block and heads seem odd to me. I know you guys run water in your block and heads and you cant do that with the billet blocks and heads. Plus with me working on Top Alcohol cars at the drags, all those guys run the billet stuff. Then again none of those cars have ever gone as fast as you guys  :-) Keep up the progress. Hope to see you on the Salt in August

We have double trouble. We run gas which runs a lot hotter than alcohol, + we run 5 miles ''or try to'' :-D
  Alcohol has such a great latent heat of evaporation which cools the supercharged air that no intercooler is required as in running gas
  So, we run water in the block and heads, intercooler, and water injection.

I've heard that one top racer running billet stuff on fuel would ruin the pushrods every run.

JL222 

Offline jl222

« Reply #2037 on: May 09, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »

Mailed Bville entry yesterday now have to get butt in gear and ship heads to head porter in Tuscon Az.

Besides porting, head needs o-ringing, install and hone bronze K-liners and a valve job.

New house almost done just waiting on finish plumbing then carpet and final inspection :-P

JL222

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2038 on: June 05, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
[quote author
[/quote]

We have double trouble. We run gas which runs a lot hotter than alcohol, + we run 5 miles ''or try to'' :-D

JL222 

[/quote]

JL222  Why is someone always picking on me :?

Old 1 Run over and OUT :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2039 on: June 16, 2014, 01:19:13 AM »
Saturday we took the sleeves out and as always there's a challenge in there somewhere.

As I was pulling the third sleeve I broke the sleeve puller. :-P

The next five sleeves we had to beat them out.

After a good cleaning of the block we installed the sleeves on Sunday.  

We out plenty of high temp silicone on the sleeve and block to make sure there's no water leaks.

A little help from the attitude adjuster and they went in just fine.

No we need to take the block to get the sleeves bored.  The thrash is starting. :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:22:16 AM by bvillercr »