Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1892882 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1980 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »

Ordered set of Goodyear 2932 Landspeed tires 28 x 10 -15.  $255 each :-D A lot less than the other Landspeed tires.

They are used for Can-am and Nascar racing so they make more and must be reason for less price.

Ordered about 1:30 from Carroll Shelby Int. in Las Vegas and shipping out today.

JL222 :cheers:

Not happy with some of sleeves installed in motor after repair '' etched in different places from sitting after water injection. thought we dealt with potential problem by spraying a bunch of WD 40 into intake while running motor after run but figured out to late that intercooler still had water injection in it, so mixing with WD. Will take plugs out from now on and squirt a bunch of oil in cylinders and turn over with starter several times.

Anyhow we needed to replace 6 sleeves,'' $600 + but I thought I had some 4.187 sleeves in a crate some were.
  Troy was out and we found them right away. Newspaper wrap says 2002 :-D 6 sleeves I bought thru National Dragster.
 Just have to bore to 4.250 and be good to go :-D

Years ago had plans to build an A motor at 482 cu in got a Kieth Black 5/8 stroke crank and 4.187 pistons then A class was changed to 500.99, so now 5/8 stroke ''4.375'' crank and 4.250 bore and 496 cu in.

JL222 

Offline jl222

« Reply #1981 on: February 04, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

Shocked to find tires at front gate as we were leaving about 11:30 this morning. UPS must have left them after 5:00 pm yesterday.

Didn't expect them until after 5 today. Ordered tires out of Vegas Friday afternoon and delivered by Monday afternoon 8-)

Gate sits back from road but tires were visible if anyone looked up and over. But I can be standing 30 ft back, in the middle of driveway, and most drivers never see me.

Also took crank in to have magnefluxed and checked out,especially journal where we broke the rod. He couldn't believe we lost a rod as it looks just as the other journals, He says well it broke above the cap, ''yea but the rod cap was broke with part of it missing and we had to saw it apart to get it off the crank because the one bolt that was left was so buggered up a socket wouldn't fit"     

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #1982 on: February 08, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »

Wow 300,000 hits :cheers:

Tomorrow we try to get sleeves out. They can be a real bear to get out as these newer blocks have tighter sleeve bores.

And we don't have the heavier slide hammer that you see them use at the drags.

Gotta heat the block up 1st so it expands. Been using a cannon type propane heater but I think Troys turkey fryer is somewhere in the shop :-D

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #1983 on: February 09, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »

Wow 300,000 hits :cheers:

Tomorrow we try to get sleeves out. They can be a real bear to get out as these newer blocks have tighter sleeve bores.

And we don't have the heavier slide hammer that you see them use at the drags.

Gotta heat the block up 1st so it expands. Been using a cannon type propane heater but I think Troys turkey fryer is somewhere in the shop :-D

JL222

Sleeves not happening today. Grand daughter Peyton's volleyball team needs help from her dad.

Found the turkey fryer though :-)

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1984 on: February 13, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »
A couple of new toys to share. 

Our old jack was heavy, old and rusty.  Our new one is the opposite! :-D

New wide tires :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1985 on: February 13, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »
OH No not wide tires!!!!!!!!!
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1986 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:14 PM »
Which tires are those?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jl222

« Reply #1987 on: February 13, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »
Which tires are those?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Goodyear Eagle Land Racing tire #2932 28X10X 15 used in stock car and Can Am racing which results in lower cost at $255
apiece :-D

JL222
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:54:11 PM by jl222 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1988 on: February 13, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »
I have a pair of 27.5x10-15 Goodyears; must be similar. I scored a pair of NASCAR Goodyear rain tires a few months ago. Yep-- NASCAR rain tires!

Offline jl222

« Reply #1989 on: February 14, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »
I have a pair of 27.5x10-15 Goodyears; must be similar. I scored a pair of NASCAR Goodyear rain tires a few months ago. Yep-- NASCAR rain tires!

Not rated for 300, but those rain tires are just what we need for El Mirage :evil:

JL222 :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1990 on: February 14, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »
Unfortunately, my car won't get close to 300!  :-(

From what I've read, Goodyear built rain tires for only a couple of events where rain was likely. The teams were supposed to turn those tires back in to Goodyear after the event so I don't know how this pair got away. They might be better than slicks on the salt, too. We'll see.

Regards, Neil

Offline jl222

« Reply #1991 on: February 15, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
Unfortunately, my car won't get close to 300!  :-(

From what I've read, Goodyear built rain tires for only a couple of events where rain was likely. The teams were supposed to turn those tires back in to Goodyear after the event so I don't know how this pair got away. They might be better than slicks on the salt, too. We'll see.

Regards, Neil

Saw a lowered diesel truck at Bville, mid or regular size, with giant rain tires, at least 12'' wide. Never had a chance to talk.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #1992 on: February 25, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »

Bad news... went to pick up crank after magnefluxing and they mistakenly gave MY crank to some one who lives in the San Francisco area :roll:

Good news... Rods are made, pistons being coated should be here Thur. Not holding breath :-)

After crank snafu, I was worried that UPS had dropped off rods and pistons at front gate and someone had snitched them, so called and checked order.

JL222   

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1993 on: March 02, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
OH No not wide tires!!!!!!!!!

From someone that has tried both wide Goodyears and narrow Goodyears back to back, we could not make the wide tires work on the 3838 Corvette. From what I understand, if the salt was drier and not like it was during the 2013 Speedweek, the wide tires would have worked MUCH better. The crazy thing was how much more traction the wide tires had at the lower speeds such as less than 240mph. The first time I ran it through first and second and even third gear, I was really exited because she was hooked up! Then a strange phenomenon happened where the tire seem to start floating on the salt and had trouble getting the car past 250mph. Switched to the skinnys and immediately went 276mph.
From what I can figure out, you almost need to have both types of tires with you when you go to the salt. This can allow you to squeak out a couple of decent runs together even if conditions are not so good. It's not like most of us can come back the following week when conditions are better, we have to deal with whatever Mother Nature hands us. When we went 276mph this year, the conditions were not good at all but that run did qualify 12mph over existing record. What I'm really trying to say is that the salt is almost never good anymore so we all need to figure better ways to deal with it instead of saying "Oh well, salt sucks this year, maybe next year will be better".
One more thing and I will quit rambling, the salt got so much better as Soeedweek went on that if most of the racers would have just stuck it out to the end of the week instead of booking out there, they would of had some descent salt to run on.
I for one still have a lot to learn about salt conditions but if I has a car that could fit both kinds of tires, I would take both kinds if tires especially since the wide tires are relatively inexpensive. I thank John and Troy for turning me on to the wide tires. Besides, they look SOOOOO much cooler!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1994 on: March 02, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
Just a hair brain thought about Rob's comment about the wide tires starting to float above 250 mph. Tires do generate lift and it is related to their width so I wonder if maybe on the Corvette the speed that the tire lift was sufficient to start degrading traction was the 250 area. Just a thought.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.