Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1893011 times)

Offline jdeleon

• DELEON AUTO ACCESSORIES
Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1800 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »
Gasket looked like it was too short on the intake relief and thought maybe overlapped the oring.

Was the ceramic still on the plug? or loose?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:37:29 PM by jdeleon »

Offline jl222

« Reply #1801 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:39 AM »
Gasket looked like it was too short on the intake relief and thought maybe overlapped the oring.

Was the ceramic still on the plug? or loose?

I see what your talking about now ''for those not familiar with the hemi we run, there is a relief in edge of the sleeve and gasket for intake valve clearance''  gasket is within a few thou but not into reciever groove.
  No center ceramic on bottom of plug and broken at top part of shell. Don't know where top part of plug, that should have been still connected to plug wire ended up. We were still gaping at the windows in block :cry:

JL222

JL222

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1802 on: September 11, 2012, 04:48:42 PM »
  ........ this brings up a important point.  How many of us "dry fit" our engines when installing new parts?  After torqueing heads and bearings, how many of us (including yours truely) fail to roll the motor over or "clay the pistons" which in the end could save a motor or your home equity (in at least my home).
  I don't personally know John or Troy but I know they are not "newbies" or "wealthy", and I appreciate their honesty and candor in exposing themselves to all the "nay sayers" or "expert's" who think that it easy for a low buck team to succeed in any motor sport.
  Most of us don't have a pot to p*ss in nor the intelligence or desire to give up our quest.
  Hat's off to the Langlo's for sharing their love and hard work in trying to accomplish their goal's while building a one off motor..................... Bob
Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1803 on: September 15, 2012, 10:32:58 PM »
Bob:

Amen, I have yet to find the currage to hang my junk out in a thread for all to see. JL222 I have learned a lot... Thanks.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jl222

« Reply #1804 on: September 16, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »

Yeah..we post the good the bad and the ugly :-D lots of ugly last few years :-P One good, was our blow holes in hood and extra pins at back side of hood on edge of raised part worked great. Before, when shutting off, the ''blow off valves'' which release the supercharged air would lift the back of hood a couple inches. We hope the pins will help keep the hood on in a spin.

The 280mph 21/4 and 294mph time in the 1st mile keeps us coming back.

JL222

Offline JSRacing

• New folks
« Reply #1805 on: September 24, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »

Need to decide on repairing block. two windows needing pan rails, bottom of sleeve needa to be welded up and then bored to fit sleeve and maybe one other spot and lifter bores will have to be worked on.

I know that J&S is still fixing blocks...  :-)

-Hunter

Offline jl222

« Reply #1806 on: September 25, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »

Need to decide on repairing block. two windows needing pan rails, bottom of sleeve needa to be welded up and then bored to fit sleeve and maybe one other spot and lifter bores will have to be worked on.

I know that J&S is still fixing blocks...  :-)

-Hunter

Hi Hunter...yeah we know,see post 1779. Need to get block down for you guys to look at it and see what the
repair estimate will be. Looks like 2 sleeves will also need to be cut out as holes in them will screw things up
on way out. Will be in Santa Barbara next month to visit mom and will call about how you want block. Sleeves in
or out mains on and torqued? :cheers:

JL222

Offline JSRacing

• New folks
« Reply #1807 on: September 26, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
Sounds good! You know the deal- Yank the sleeves out that aren't hurt, and leave the caps on. Just give me a call when you're planning on heading down.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1808 on: October 07, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Last weekend we worked on getting the engine bay cleared out.

Here are some pictures of the two holes that need to be fixed.

We had to pound the cam out of the block to find out that it is bent.  The block needs lots of new aluminum on the interior of the block.  We shall see if it is salvageable. :?

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1809 on: October 07, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
Daammnn!

Good luck on getting it repaired-looks painful to the wallet!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1810 on: October 07, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
Good luck on the repairs. Maybe saw it in half and make a V4 out of it.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline jl222

« Reply #1811 on: October 08, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »

We got the crank out today and were able to pound out the very ugly piston :-P

Revising on what caused rod to break after discovering melted side of piston and sprayed aluminum inside of piston. Looked like cylinder got lean [ dirty injector ?] burned hole and started torching the top of rod, pin is even torched :-o Hole started on edge of piston intake valve cut out and we couldn't tell it was torched bacause of valve hammering on other metal on top, but once we hammered it out there is a huge torched hole.

Troy will post pics when he gets a chance.

JL222
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:16:29 PM by jl222 »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1812 on: October 10, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
Sorry for the delay, a little under the weather.

Here are some mangled pieces of aluminum.

This is what's left of the cap and rod.

A view of our bearings and the damage to the block at the underside of the cam and the holes in the two sleeves.

Pictures of the piston.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1813 on: October 10, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
Thats impressive, oouuch.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1814 on: October 11, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
Are (were) those aluminum rods?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ