Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1893001 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1770 on: August 25, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »
So today was the day that we finally cleaned the racer!  Surprisingly there wasn that much salt under the car. :cheers:  We got the car on jacks took the tires off and noticed on both rear tires that the nipples were still on them.

We did spin the tires just a bit, but were suprized to see them still there.

Now that the car is up high enough to get under it I decided to have a looksee into the holes in the block.  I could see both rod caps on the suspected rods that had exited the block.  WTF?...  Ofcourse since it's only a few nuts, we tried to take the pan off. :evil:  well we had to use a disc grinder to cut two studs off so the blown up pan would release itself.  We found that even though the caps were still attached, #5 upper rod did leave the building... By itself.  The good news is that the #5 journal doesn't seem to be scuffed or scratched at all. :-D. That's all we know as of today, We don't know how bad the rest of the engine or crank is, I will keep anyone who is interested updated.  A picture of our carnage in a pan. :-P

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:12:14 PM by bvillercr »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1771 on: August 25, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »
John and Troy, it was good seeing you guys again!

I hated hearing about the engine, and I'm watching with interest to see what happened!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline jl222

« Reply #1772 on: August 25, 2012, 11:55:43 PM »
John and Troy, it was good seeing you guys again!

I hated hearing about the engine, and I'm watching with interest to see what happened!

Yeah.. Good seeing you guys also.. just took the pan off to see.. didnt take off any rod caps [ hot and tired at this point and 19 days of over 100 degs with 21 the record] but the other rods were able to move back and forth but not #6. Part of rod cap still on #5 but couldn't remove because of bugered rod bolt, surprisinly crank looks good :?

Will start tearing down tomorrow [ untill it gets to hot]. Troy is busy at work so I will plug slowly away.

Hopefully the 13 month old heads are all right.

JL222

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:57:15 PM by jl222 »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1773 on: August 26, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »
Sorry to see the carnige, been following the effort for awhile... gona need a bunch of J-B weld for that pan. Never say die.. :-)

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1774 on: August 26, 2012, 12:36:46 AM »
Buddy it was great to see you and your crew again.  When you guys got the barrel valve adjusted and started her up, I got goose bumps!!  Love the caddy!

Frank, thanks for the encouragement and we always have some sort of epoxy with u's. :-D

JL222, check #6 again it moved fine for me. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:41:39 AM by bvillercr »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1775 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:08 AM »
No more advertising for Keith on this block. :mrgreen:

Liked seeing you again, if briefly, hated hearing that news. :cry: :cry:

Eventually it will all happen at the right time, those tyres look pretty untroubled for you guys :roll: :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1776 on: August 26, 2012, 11:35:38 AM »
Goggles, it was a brief visit but as always great to see your smiling mug.

Trying to edit our video on IMovie, haven't used this before.  It does show engine failure/shut down at the 3 1/2 and chute deployment at the 3 3/4 and had a 4 mile time at 261:-). I will try to get this thing figured out today. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1777 on: August 26, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »
Here is the video of our mediocre run.  RPMs only went to 6200, had plenty of room to go faster if the rod didn't fail.  Tune was good, but other factors to be investigated. :cheers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WE07tEgxq68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline DND

« Reply #1778 on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
Hi CR

With a big bang like a rod letting go, a new crank might be in order too.

You could get a new block and your over stressed crank decides to stop going round & round, then it is bad news again.

Don

Offline jl222

« Reply #1779 on: August 26, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
Hi CR

With a big bang like a rod letting go, a new crank might be in order too.

You could get a new block and your over stressed crank decides to stop going round & round, then it is bad news again.

Don

Will check crank well but its a billet top fuel hardened and tempered made for 50lbs + boost and 90% nitro, not much stress from us

If just bad throw will have it fixed and chromed. If block is just widowed with no damaged to main supports J@s East Valley Garage are experts at repairing much worse. Our AA block, from a funny car, had the whole front left corner blown off that J@S repaired years ago at no cost to us [thanks to the late Jay Roach]

JL222

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1780 on: August 27, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
The tune sounds perfectly mint in that video.

I was going to ask if you made sure the ignition timing was calibrated (what the FAST thinks it's running, is verified with a timing light) but it just sounds too healthy to be that. 

Bad luck with parts or assembly maybe?  the thing just sounds perfectly happy...!

Offline jl222

« Reply #1781 on: August 27, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
The tune sounds perfectly mint in that video.

I was going to ask if you made sure the ignition timing was calibrated (what the FAST thinks it's running, is verified with a timing light) but it just sounds too healthy to be that. 

Bad luck with parts or assembly maybe?  the thing just sounds perfectly happy...!

Yeah..we check with light. Last few years we didn't record timing becase of the limited recording time of the FAST data
logging but we put it in this year to check. Rob Frey said there was a unit from FAST for more time.

Still haven't found what caused the rod to fail but Dry sump was empty. All rods move on crank, including #6 :roll: and crank looks unscored with 3/4 of cap still on ratteling on there with no bearings in it.

These engines can run on splash for awhile. Troy got into the El Mirage 2 club in 1990 at 229+ and me at 206 in high gear
only when shift lever broke at start line [ long push but pulled right away]. We then went to Bville and had a 275 exit speed
with 2 push rods worn out hardly opening the valves. On return record run rod blew side of our not new repaired block and
part of the oil galley showing the copletly welded up oil galley. Bearings had been inspected several times showing no problems but the rockers get oil from passage up from the last main bearing causing our lifter problem. Rods 6- 7 and 8 and last main were getting no oil :-D

When Bvillercr has time [ a week or so from now] we'll take video of data log and post it.

Congrats on taking our record. Records mean more with competition and we look forward to getting it back :-D

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #1782 on: August 28, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
Here is the video of our mediocre run.  RPMs only went to 6200, had plenty of room to go faster if the rod didn't fail.  Tune was good, but other factors to be investigated. :cheers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WE07tEgxq68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I shouldn't have pulled the chute untill after the 4 :roll: 1 more sec would have made a big difference in time slip.
  6200 =281 mph and yet the rod made 4 dents in the step pan on the way out :-o
  Course workers looked for parts but didn't find any so I hope it careened off into the rough. Rod should be somewere between the 31/2 and 33/4 on course 1 AND hopefully off to the side.

They say to turn out to right if you have trouble but I couldn't find any turnouts and it was so rough it would have torn up
our new front end, so I finally stopped on right side of course.

JL222

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #1783 on: August 29, 2012, 01:34:26 AM »

...A picture of our carnage in a pan...

My favorite description of such damage was long ago when a big name racer (I'm thinking Andretti, but don't quote me) was explaining a DNF. He said they had an oil pan failure at speed.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1784 on: August 29, 2012, 12:17:19 PM »

...A picture of our carnage in a pan...

My favorite description of such damage was long ago when a big name racer (I'm thinking Andretti, but don't quote me) was explaining a DNF. He said they had an oil pan failure at speed.

:-D That's a good one. That pan is tough, Troy was pounding on the blown out part with a sledge hammer and it wouldn't
budge a bit, thats when the cut out wheel came out.

JL222