Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1892999 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1635 on: February 29, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »

New #2270 LSR 10'' tires on way. Ordered from Carroll Shelby west coast Goodyear distributer yesterday.

$515 for set of 2 including freight :-D  About half of what I paid for front tires. I asked why and the 2270 is also used for
Nascar roadracing.

Deciding on rims now, as spin bent rims a bit. Not sure bent rims affect things as much as some say after watching Top fuel cars at 300 + mph in slow motion :-o

JL222
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:24:27 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #1636 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »

Goodyear #2270 10'' wide tires arrived today :-) Still deciding on front and back rims, more offset in back and less in front.

Like the Centerline style 4 fuel type.

JL222

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1637 on: March 05, 2012, 12:07:41 AM »
New tires look good...forgot to take a picture of the tag that showed a matching pair. :-P

Offline DND

« Reply #1638 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »
Hi

I always thought that you wanted to run a narrow tire on all cars running on the salt & the lakes, or does that just apply to cars that have the tires out in the airstream for less drag.

I guess having fenders cancells that out?

Thanks
Don

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #1639 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »
Hi

I always thought that you wanted to run a narrow tire on all cars running on the salt & the lakes, or does that just apply to cars that have the tires out in the airstream for less drag.

I guess having fenders cancells that out?

Thanks
Don
Who's going to take this one :evil: :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1640 on: March 05, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Run what you think is best.  We do. :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #1641 on: March 05, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
A couple of videos from the past.  Never getting the traction that I need to get all the way down the track.

http://youtu.be/mHUEA-pScY8

http://youtu.be/55XA0vrNNj0

EFI F.A.S.T. data shows good traction for 14.7 sec on ist video above

1st gear 5 sec 114.5 mph 6250 rpm -throttle position sensor 53%

2nd gear 10.2 sec 152.5 mph 5700 rpm -tps 52%

3rd gear 14.7 sec 178.9 mph 4970 rpm tps 61%

2nd video

1st gear 5.9 sec 108 mph  5950 rpm tps 70%   got loose Troy backed off then back on

2nd gear 12.9 sec 167 mph 6250 tps 55%

3RD gear no traction.

Track looser sooner on second run.

Bonneville Pro used to get speeds

JL222

This is why we use wide tires. 152.5 mph in 10.2 sec on dirt.

We also had a 21/4time of 280mph and 3 mile time of 294 mph ''engine blew just before end of 3 and start of 4 mile.

All runs on gas, thats all we have ever used.

This was also top time of the meet for 2 days.

On a tune up run we were 9 mph faster in the 2nd mile traveled than the 294 mph run. BNI started timing this mile
 recently and is the mile before the start of the 3-4 and 5.

Skinney tires might help us get through the marbles at El Mirage but even the high powered lakesters WITH WINGS can't hook up on a loose track.

We also get excelent were on wide tires never wearing out the wear holes our shredding them.

There is to much peer pressure for open wheel cars to try wide tires :evil:

One coming from a very fast racer that tried them on his roadster and spun out bad mouthing them ever since
but failing to mention that his rear end was found to be mounted 5/8'' out of square :-o

He also told me his roadster had never accelerated that fast.

JL222

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:24:08 PM by jl222 »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1642 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:54 PM »
Sunday we worked on the chute tube.  As many have seen, we tore our rear bumper up at speed week when we spun.  So we are bracing the tubes so it won't move in case we ever spin again.

This is how we anchor our cables.

And one of our 1/4 cables.

Next on the list is mounting the front end.

Offline DND

« Reply #1643 on: March 06, 2012, 10:43:53 PM »
Hi JL

Thanks for the new tire info for me as i'am from the very old school, started going out to the lakes in 59'

Can't believe your friend ever admitted that his rear was out 5/8" that is a bunch, you would think he would spin on every run sure must of been a hand full.

Don

Offline jl222

« Reply #1644 on: March 07, 2012, 01:33:28 AM »
Hi JL

Thanks for the new tire info for me as i'am from the very old school, started going out to the lakes in 59'

Can't believe your friend ever admitted that his rear was out 5/8" that is a bunch, you would think he would spin on every run sure must of been a hand full.

Don

I found out from the guy that repaired the frame, and he did have trouble even before the wide tires.

The wide tires just multiplied the problem.

JL222

Offline DND

« Reply #1645 on: March 07, 2012, 02:20:20 AM »
Hi JL

In 62' my friend built a blown SB gas dragster, we had pulled the engine and we were setting there talking and saw that one front tire was off the ground with the wheels layed over.
So Tom turned the wheels the other way and the same tire was still up about 3/4", each run the car was always in a drift. Being new to driving a dragster he did not know that was not too good.
The car builder had to front half the frame to get it all even and by then he had built a fixture, Toms car was built on saw horse's.
We both learned a bunch over that deal, so i checked my B/Gas 37' and it needed a wedge under one side of the front axle to get it even too.
Then 20 yrs later they came out with the 4 scales to get it right and dial it right in nowdays.

Don

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1646 on: March 26, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
Ofcorse at Bonneville we had problems with our windows blowing out, which caused us to abandon a couple of runs.  So we added another latch on both sides of our windows.

I had to cut part of the front end so it would fit above our headers, the cut is about 4 inches.

We got the front end mocked up and ready to secure the framework. 

The problem we have and had, was that our gas tank prevented the original build of the front end to be as low as it could.  So now we have to go with a smaller fuel tank.  Our 20 gallon tank was a bit much to run just gas.

So now if all goes correctly it should be more than an inch lower, with some room to adjust through the suspension. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #1647 on: March 30, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »

Gas tank arrived yesterday 8-) I ordered it from Summitt on the 25th and they said it might not ship to April 20th. But except for height [ that we wanted less of] it matched the old tank. So we were willing to wait.

Only problem is the new tank has a sump that is below bottom level of tank and the other was flat.

Also the new tank has a gas guage :-o

Picked up some 3/4'' sq tubeing at Home Depot and will be making new tank platform Sunday and welding up rear chute tube and hooks for new door latches while slow cooking [indirect for 3 hrs] Justins Coffman's special chicken recipe.

Correy wants margaritas and I guess I'll have to pick up a case of Pacifico :roll: but Keystone light when that runs out :-D

JL222

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:10:19 PM by jl222 »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1648 on: April 08, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
Everything looks top notch here.
Its amazing that your car looks even cooler with the nose lowered just that little bit. Really looking forward to hanging with you guys on the salt this year. Might even see you at El Mirage, Lord willing.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #1649 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
Everything looks top notch here.
Its amazing that your car looks even cooler with the nose lowered just that little bit. Really looking forward to hanging with you guys on the salt this year. Might even see you at El Mirage, Lord willing.

Thanks Rob, couse everything takes 2 or 3 times as long to fabricate as planned :roll:

Yeah looking foward to you hanging out with us at Bville, won't be going to El Mirage unless it rains some more, but there is a couple of storms coming in tonight here in Clovis and friday and somtimes they make it down to El Mirage.

Any completion time for strealiner?

JL222